Multi-Vitamin at 2 Months?

Old October 10th 07, 06:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jodi B

Default Multi-Vitamin at 2 Months?

Hi All,

DS is now doing well with BF, gaining weight and putting on chub!

At his 2-week check up, the ped mentioned that if he was still exclusively
breasfed at his two month check up then they would want to put him on a multi-vitamin
because "breastmilk doesn't have vitamin D." I've never heard of babies
going on a multi-vitamin at 2 months old...is this new? If my baby needs
vitamin D, why doesn't my breastmilk have it? The only thing I can think
of is that I live in the Pacific Northwest (US), and we don't get a lot of
sun this time of year, so less vitamin D that way?

Thanks for any info!
Jodi (off to google some stuff!)

Old October 10th 07, 07:17 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

DS is now doing well with BF, gaining weight and putting on chub!

great stuff, good for you!

At his 2-week check up, the ped mentioned that if he was still
exclusively breasfed at his two month check up then they would want to
put him on a multi-vitamin because "breastmilk doesn't have vitamin D."
I've never heard of babies going on a multi-vitamin at 2 months old...is
this new? If my baby needs vitamin D, why doesn't my breastmilk have
it? The only thing I can think of is that I live in the Pacific
Northwest (US), and we don't get a lot of sun this time of year, so less
vitamin D that way?

we get vitamin D from sunlight, so amount of sun exposure is a factor,
however, although vit D supplements are recommended from 6 months in the
UK even the sun that far north is enough in winter for white skinned
babies to get the vit D they need, but it is an issue for other
ethnicities, but even then, I don't think I've heard it as early as 2
months. If you have dark skin (including hispanic colouring), it may be
something you need to consider, but you still need to get specific data
for your location, I'm not sure cloud cover makes much difference, just
the hours of sunlight. These days we also live in the PNW, our
paediatrician doesn't recommend multi vitamins, she says they are a
waste of money!

Cheers
Anne
Old October 10th 07, 11:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Stormlady

I don't know about a multi-vitamin, but here they are recommended to take
D-Vi-Sol from birth. That's just a liquid form of vitamin D. I think it's
health Canada's official stance on the issue, but not sure, I know all
nurses and Dr's who saw the Munchkin as a baby mentioned and recommended it
to me.

t.net...

Old October 11th 07, 02:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

Hey.

Data on Vitamin D in breastmilk is conflicting I think. I have read that
there's enough (which makes sense, supplements haven't been around for
ever ;-) ) but some say it's not enough especially during winter. In
germany we get vitamin D pills (or vitamin D with fluoride). I have them
laying around but I don't give them. I thought about taking them myself
and hoping more gets passed along, but right now we're going for at
least two half hour walks every day and at home Sara's hanging out near
a window usually, so I'm not really worried about her vitamin D levels.

When Sam was a baby we also got the Vitamin D and being a new mom I kelt
tying to give them to him and he kept throwing up everything he just
drank shortly after a feeding (you're supposed to give them just before
nursing). He never spit up, except with the vitamin D so I stopped
giving it as it made no sense whatsoever. He doesn't have any health
issues relating to too little vitamin D.

cu
nicole

Old October 11th 07, 09:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Amethyst Deceiver

Jodi B wrote:
Hi All,

DS is now doing well with BF, gaining weight and putting on chub!

At his 2-week check up, the ped mentioned that if he was still
exclusively breasfed at his two month check up then they would want to put
him on
a multi-vitamin because "breastmilk doesn't have vitamin D." I've
never heard of babies going on a multi-vitamin at 2 months old...is this
new? If my baby
needs vitamin D, why doesn't my breastmilk have it? The only thing I can
think of is that I live in the Pacific Northwest (US), and we don't get a
lot of sun this time of year, so less vitamin D that way?

YoungBloke was exclusively breastfed till he was 6 months old when he
started solids. He was an October baby, and we live in the rainy north-west
of England - the sun goes down in November, never to be seen again, beyond
the drizzle, until about March. My Health Visitor didn't mention vitamin
drops of any variety until YB was 6 months old because that's when stores
start to drop.

I rather like this resource, especially the bit about it being as nature
intended:
http://www.breastfeeding.co.uk/index...34&Itemi d=38

- Vitamin D

It seems that breastmilk does not contain much vitamin D. We must assume
this is as nature intended, not a mistake of evolution. The baby stores up
vitamin D during the pregnancy and he will remain healthy without vitamin D
supplementation, unless you yourself were vitamin D deficient during the
pregnancy. Vitamin D deficiency in pregnant women in Canada is rare. Outside
exposure also gives your baby vitamin D even in winter, even when the sky is
covered. An hour or so of outside exposure during a week gives your baby
more than enough vitamin D even if only his face is exposed, even in winter.

Under unusual circumstances, it may be prudent to give the baby vitamin D.
For example, in situations where exposure of the baby to ultraviolet rays of
the sun is not possible (Northern Canada in winter, or if the baby is never
taken outside), giving the baby extra vitamin D would be advised. Vitamin D
drops are expensive.

--
YoungBloke: 3 years, 95cm, 14kg and finally weaned!

Old October 11th 07, 09:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Akuvikate

On Oct 11, 1:57 am, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:

http://www.breastfeeding.co.uk/index...tent&task=view...

- Vitamin D

It seems that breastmilk does not contain much vitamin D. We must assume
this is as nature intended, not a mistake of evolution.

Bear in mind, human evolution took place in Africa naked or nearly
naked. That vitamin D deficiency and rickets in young children is on
the rise and is due in part to increased breastfeeding is
indisputable. Does that mean your child is at risk? Maybe, maybe
not. A pale baby in Florida in June -- not. A dark baby in North
Dakota in December -- yes. A lot of it depends too on the babies diet
after 6 months, as if they start eating vitamin D rich foods (mostly
fortified dairy products) before 1 year old they won't have any
visible symptoms of deficiency.

Here's the link to the AAP Section on Breastfeeding recommendations on
vitamin D supplementation.
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;111/4/908
They do recommend supplementing starting at 2 months for exclusively
breastfed babies. Not very many pediatricians follow that guideline
for all their patients. I've been ****-poor about it, and have to get
better as I now work with a mostly dark-skinned population in a bad
part of town where people stay inside. None of my patients have
developed rickets so far, but you'd better believe I'd feel pretty bad
if one did because their parents didn't know any better.

Vitamin D
drops are expensive.

It's $10 (US) for a 1-2 month supply. Most people who would find that
a significant financial hardship would probably be eligible for public
assistance programs that might cover all or part of the cost.

FWIW, vitamin D deficiency in adults too is epidemic in the US now.
There's early evidence that vitamin D deficiency might be related to
colon cancer. I use this to justify my own laziness about
sunscreen :-).

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 years old
and something brewing 4/08