Little One HATES the car seat!

Old October 31st 03, 03:13 PM
Penny Gaines

Default Little One HATES the car seat!

Robyn Kozierok wrote in :
[snip]
Does the handle need to be down on an infant seat?

Yes. You should always put the handle of an infant seat in the down
position while in the car. If there is not enough room to put the
handle down in your vehicle, rotate the handle down further toward the
floor. In a crash, the infant seat will rebound into the back seat.
If the handle is up, it could break and seriously injure the infant or
another passenger. The Britax Handle With Care is the only infant seat
with a reinforced handle that can be upright in the car.

This advice probably varies with country. With the baby car seat we had,
you had to have the handle up, otherwise the seat belt would be in the
baby's face. Admittedly that was nine years ago, but when I checked on
UK websites just now, I could find no information about the correct
position of the carrying handle.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old November 5th 03, 03:00 PM
Splanche

I didn't mean to keep it that way, but to see if he would scream less
if he was facing front just as an experiment. Unless you get into a
car accident every time you go out of course.

grandma Rosalie

No, I plan my accidents in advance, of course, to make sure that they don't
happen at an inopportune time. ;-)

Old November 6th 03, 02:31 AM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes (Robyn Kozierok) wrote:

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:
x-no-archive:yes
ospam (Splanche) wrote:

Most people seem to say that it gets better when they can face
forward. I know that the carseats are safer when they face backward,
but what would be the tradeoff of turning them around earlier to see
whether that was what it was?

Tradeoff might be a broken neck in a car accident.
Rear facing for infants protects them better since their heads are
disproportionately large to their bodies, and their necks are not strong, if
memory serves me.

I didn't mean to keep it that way, but to see if he would scream less
if he was facing front just as an experiment. Unless you get into a
car accident every time you go out of course.

I'm not sure what the point of such an experiment would be if you weren't
willing to keep it that way permanently. Knowing he would scream less "if
only" they could safely face him forward is not much comfort when they can't
safely face him forward.

The idea would be that they could think about ways to not take him out
until he was old enough to face forwards. I mean - someone stay home
with the kid and someone else go to the grocery store. Or walk. Or
have the groceries delivered. The only place you'd absolutely HAVE to
take him I would think would be the doctor.

And if that was NOT it, then maybe they should look carefully to see
what it might be. Otherwise there's maybe some totally safe way to
have him in the car seat and not having him scream, but no one has
taken the time to see what it is.

Some of my grandchildren have been in the car seat in the house.
Isn't that possible in this case? If he screams in the car seat when
it is not in the car, then it is the car seat itself, and not riding
backwards in the car. Riding frontwards won't help.

--Robyn

grandma Rosalie

Booster Seat Recommendations valerie ramano General 15 July 18th 04 08:50 PM
car seat placement? Karen General 11 February 18th 04 07:51 PM
Annoying car seat problem M. Tettnanger General 4 December 24th 03 05:44 PM
Need car seat recommendation AnnaS General 7 December 23rd 03 08:48 AM
car seat problem Jayne Kulikauskas General (moderated) 7 July 7th 03 10:44 AM