ALARM one out of six children....

Old April 4th 05, 04:36 AM
Kevysmom

Default ALARM one out of six children....

I know I have printed this in the past, But I was thinking.... 1 out of 6
children in America have some form of behavior/developmental disorder,
This is tragic and epidemic! But this number does NOT include the
children with heart disease, cancer, asthma, kidney disease, liver
disease, ect.... Does anyone have information on how many children in
America are healthy???

We dont have a shortage of doctors, we have an epidemic of SICK KIDS!!
This is no joke.

In January 2004, the nation's pediatricians received an autism ALARM
[an
acronym for an American Academy of Pediatrics communication program -
-
also sent out by CDC] stating Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) were
affecting 1 in 166 children (90 percent of them are boys).
Behavior/Developmental disorders were affecting 1 in 6 children.
Both are
epidemic. Autism rose over 1000% 1991-2004. It's now 1 in 149
children
with ASD.

http://www.medicalhomeinfo.org/screening/Autism
downloads/AutismAlarm.pdf

Old April 4th 05, 01:17 PM
Medina Wilson

Kevysmom wrote:
I know I have printed this in the past, But I was thinking.... 1 out

of 6
children in America have some form of behavior/developmental

disorder,
This is tragic and epidemic! But this number does NOT include the
children with heart disease, cancer, asthma, kidney disease, liver
disease, ect.... Does anyone have information on how many children in
America are healthy???

We dont have a shortage of doctors, we have an epidemic of SICK

KIDS!!
This is no joke.

What does this mean? Where did you get this statistic? Does bedwetting
count? Consistently refusing to go to bed ontime? What about
brother-pinching syndrome?

I am skeptical about this. For those of you suspicious of the drug
industry, it sounds like this would be an easy way to argue for
medicating vast amounts of children, since a sixth of them have some
'disorder' and the rest are at risk for developing one. I would re-read
the data and verify it at more than one source!

If the disorder doesn't seem to bother the child, does it still count?

Autism rose over 1000% 1991-2004. It's now 1 in 149
children
with ASD.

I heard the way doctors diagnose autism has changed *alot* in the last
decade. Also, if parents (and everybody knows about this now) are more
aware of what autism is and what it looks like, wouldn't that translate
into more cases being diagnosed as well?

Have the definitions of autism changed *at all* since before 1991? If
it has this would also affect the seemingly alarming rise in cases.

I don't know about you all but I don't like to live my parenting life
in fear!

Medina

Old April 4th 05, 03:26 PM
Mark Probert

"Medina Wilson" wrote in message
oups.com...

Kevysmom wrote:
[...]

You raised excellent points. Autism has become to be recognized as a
specturm disorder, where there are numerous and unique manifestations of it.
What had not been considered autistic in the past now is considered part of
the spectrum.

1991 is a very interesting year. In that year the US Department of Education
mandated that the schools get of their fat asses and start trying to figure
out why kids were not learning. If you examine what has happened since,
there has been a massive growth in the rate of diagnosis.

I don't know about you all but I don't like to live my parenting life
in fear!

Sadly, there are those evil people who want just that.

Old April 4th 05, 03:28 PM
Jeff

"Kevysmom" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
I know I have printed this in the past, But I was thinking.... 1 out of 6
children in America have some form of behavior/developmental disorder,
This is tragic and epidemic!

I think this is good news. this means that we are able to help kids more now
that we know what kind of problems they have.

But this number does NOT include the
children with heart disease, cancer, asthma, kidney disease, liver
disease, ect.... Does anyone have information on how many children in
America are healthy???

www.google.com. they have lots of info or links to more info.

While kids might have asthma, kidney disease, etc., they are stil able to
grow, play, learn, etc.

We dont have a shortage of doctors, we have an epidemic of SICK KIDS!!

Actually, we have an epidemic of healthy kids. The vast majority of kids are
healthy at any given point in time. Some of them have chronic health
problems. And all of them get sick from time to time. However, there are
some kids who have chronic health problems. And fortunately, there are
excellent clinics and hospitals all over the US to help them. Ever notice
how many kids are in the park on weekends? Playing on swings, playing soccer
or basketball?

Far too many kids die from cancer, car crashes, asthma, etc., every year.
But, the vast majority of kids do manage to grow up strong and healthy.

Jeff

Old April 4th 05, 07:15 PM
Caledonia

Jeff wrote in message:
"Kevysmom" wrote in message

lkaboutparenting.com...
I know I have printed this in the past, But I was thinking.... 1 out

of 6
children in America have some form of behavior/developmental

disorder,
This is tragic and epidemic!

I think this is good news. this means that we are able to help kids

more now
that we know what kind of problems they have.

Well, yes and no. I can't for the life of me tie Kevysmom's quotes to
data I've seen in my work as a number-cruncher (and I'm realizing
that's a whole 'nother can of worms), but do know that as of 2003
approximately 12% of US children were uninsured (~77 million). So yes,
kids can be helped if they're diagnosed, but no, many kids are not
being helped because they aren't seeing a doctor. (www.kff.org).

So, for me, I'd spin it that 1 out of 8 children in American have no
health insurance whatsoever. This is tragic and epidemic!

(But I guess that's just not as exciting....)

Caledonia

Old April 4th 05, 07:48 PM
Jeff

"Caledonia" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeff wrote in message:
"Kevysmom" wrote in message

lkaboutparenting.com...
[...]

That doesn't seem to bother Bush. I guess Bush respect for life ends as soon
as a baby pops out.

He cut back on Medicaid, again.

Jeff

Caledonia

Old April 4th 05, 08:10 PM
Caledonia

Jeff wrote in message:

That doesn't seem to bother Bush. I guess Bush respect for life ends

as soon
as a baby pops out.

He cut back on Medicaid, again.

Jeff

I know. And the recent grandstanding in Florida is really a great
example of Potemkin compassion, given that the majority of Medicaid
dollars support nursing home care.

Caledonia

Old April 4th 05, 10:00 PM
Mark Probert

"Caledonia" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeff wrote in message:
"Kevysmom" wrote in message

lkaboutparenting.com...
[...]

For a child with a learning disability, the lack of medical insurance should
not pose a problem. Diagnostic testing is required under IDEA and the parent
can force the school district to provide it. LD's are addressed in a school
at no cost to the parent.

Old April 4th 05, 10:03 PM
Mark Probert

"Jeff" wrote in message
.net...

"Caledonia" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeff wrote in message:
"Kevysmom" wrote in message

lkaboutparenting.com...
[...]

He does the same thing for veterans shortly after discharge. It can take
months to get an appointment from the VA.

He cut back on Medicaid, again.

Yep. The Medicaid waiver program will sunset on 6/30/05. That program
allowed families with disabled kids to qualify for Medicaid for the child so
that they could do things like make their homes wheelchair accessible, have
their vehicles equipped with lifts or ramps, etc.

Old April 4th 05, 10:25 PM
Kevysmom

Yep. The Medicaid waiver program will sunset on 6/30/05. That program
allowed families with disabled kids to qualify for Medicaid for the child
so
that they could do things like make their homes wheelchair accessible,
have
their vehicles equipped with lifts or ramps, etc.

I guess its more important to allow Illegals free medical while again the
middle class working families get another screw!

You have to make very little money to qualify for medicaid even with a
severely disabled child, Unless your child is hospitalized for 30
consecutive days, Kevin never made the 30 day quota, Even though he was in
and out of the hospital for a year and half(mostly in) He was always
released in a week to three weeks time. People on medicaid have it a whole
lot easier!

I think we need to a univerasl healthcare like in Canada.