How to prevent thrush?

Old March 5th 06, 07:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default How to prevent thrush?

My 2 month old DS has an ear infection and is now on antibiotics. I want to
make sure I do everything I can to prevent thrush while he is on the
antibiotics. Any tips? I started eating yogurt, but that was all I could
think of.

Karen

Old March 5th 06, 09:16 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"concrtslt" wrote in message
My 2 month old DS has an ear infection and is now on antibiotics. I want
to make sure I do everything I can to prevent thrush while he is on the
antibiotics. Any tips? I started eating yogurt, but that was all I could
think of.

Karen

check out this site, put together by a poster of this group (not me).

http://www.oz.net/~chotii/fighting_thrush.html

Old March 5th 06, 01:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

concrtslt wrote:
My 2 month old DS has an ear infection and is now on antibiotics. I want to
make sure I do everything I can to prevent thrush while he is on the
antibiotics. Any tips? I started eating yogurt, but that was all I could
think of.

Karen

You can take acidophilus (available in capsules.) I also gave it to my
son when he was on antibiotics, but he was almost a year old - I'm not
sure about giving it to an infant.

Clisby
Old March 5th 06, 04:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Clisby wrote:
concrtslt wrote:
My 2 month old DS has an ear infection and is now on antibiotics. I want to
make sure I do everything I can to prevent thrush while he is on the
antibiotics. Any tips? I started eating yogurt, but that was all I could
think of.

You can take acidophilus (available in capsules.) I also gave it to my
son when he was on antibiotics, but he was almost a year old - I'm not
sure about giving it to an infant.

A friend of mine has been giving it to her 11 week old for some time.
I think she busts open the capsules and gives her the powder. You
would, of course, want to check with your doctor (or his - whoever
prescribed the antibiotics) to get the proper dose.

I would also change my bra frequently, if I were you, washing them in
hot water. Thrush is a yeast infection, so you want to do the same
sorts of things you'd do to prevent the other sort of yeast infections
(vaginal, nail, foot, etc.) Yogurt is a good idea. Read the labels
and be sure that it has active cultures.

Do not spray athlete's foot powder at the baby.

Amy

Old March 6th 06, 03:24 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Clisby" wrote in message
ink.net...

You can take acidophilus (available in capsules.) I also gave it to my
son when he was on antibiotics, but he was almost a year old - I'm not
sure about giving it to an infant.

When dd was about 5 months she had her first ear infection. I dipped my
finger in the powder from the capsules and let her suck on it.

JennP.