New Hope For ADHD Sufferers

Old October 1st 06, 11:19 PM posted to alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.health.alternative,sci.med,misc.kids.health
Jan Drew

Default New Hope For ADHD Sufferers

http://www.bloggernews.net/2006/09/n...sufferers.html

New Hope For ADHD Sufferers

[note anecdotal evidence is accepted]

For decades, professionals in various fields who work with children
suffering from Attention Deficit Disorder, have wondered just how to handle
them.

According to Dr. Jeff Nalin, a Clinical Psychologist and Co-Founder of ECHO
Malibu Youth Treatment Center, http://www.echomalibu.com , "both anecdotal
evidence and informal studies support the idea that ADD and ADHD are highly
correlated to individuals who have suffered some type of significant trauma
in their lives. The syndrome of behaviors that make up the diagnoses called
ADD and ADHD, are really primitive defense mechanisms related to these
traumas."

He further states that adolescents support these claims, "We see, time and
time again, young people saddled with these diagnoses, on high doses of
potentially harmful pharmaceuticals, who are not getting any better with
these current treatments. We also find that once we begin to conduct trauma
work with these youth, dramatic behavioral, social, and emotional changes
take place, and their ADHD symptoms begin to subside."

Steven Sager M.D., a worker at the center says , "The treatment outcomes
were the telling sign that we were on the right track. We see a great number
of trauma victims who recover nicely without medications, and many of these
clients' symptoms closely resemble those of our ADHD clients. Once we made
these connections, and began treating the traumas in our ADHD clients'
lives, we realized that for many of these young people, we had found a
different kind of answer for them and their families."

Dr. Nalin goes on to state that, "in much the same way that many young
people become addicted to drugs, so too do young people who have suffered
trauma become habituated to respond to the world in a defensive,
hyper-vigilant way. These types of defenses, that once probably served to
protect them, are now getting in their way of developing socially,
emotionally, and intellectually. If we confront these defenses by uncovering
their source, mainly their past traumas, we see the need to remain defended
sharply decline. As a result, we see the behaviors associated with ADD and
ADHD resolve themselves, and resolve themselves without medications."

Sager adds, "The bottom line is that if you are talking about at-risk youth,
any added stressor can serve as a trigger for the development of ANY
disorder, substance abuse, ADHD, depression, PTSD, or other problem
behaviors. Parents should watch for signs that indicate that their child
might be in trouble. Some of the signs parents should look for include:
changes in sleeping habits, social isolation, avoidance, or retreat, changes
in dress or appearance, a change in friends, irritability or outbursts of
anger, or loss of interest in pursuits that have been of importance. It isn't
always easy for parents to determine the nature or severity of an emerging
problem."

The center has 24 hour support for kids and families, and also offers
counseling services and parent training sessions for families of ADD and
ADHD students.

Old October 1st 06, 11:55 PM posted to alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.health.alternative,sci.med,misc.kids.health
Jeff

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
http://www.bloggernews.net/2006/09/n...sufferers.html

copyrighted material deleted

If these people have symptoms that are similar to those of ADHD, but the
symptoms are caused by trauma, then they don't have ADHD. What they have is
a wrong diagnosis. The fact that ADHD meds didn't help them should suggest
this to their doctors. According to the blog, this is the case for many of
the kids diagnosed with ADHD.

They did not say it was for all the kids with ADHD.

Jeff

Old October 2nd 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.health.alternative,sci.med,misc.kids.health
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
http://www.bloggernews.net/2006/09/n...sufferers.html

copyrighted material deleted

If these people have symptoms that are similar to those of ADHD, but the
symptoms are caused by trauma, then they don't have ADHD. What they have
is a wrong diagnosis. The fact that ADHD meds didn't help them should
suggest this to their doctors. According to the blog, this is the case for
many of the kids diagnosed with ADHD.

They did not say it was for all the kids with ADHD.

I should have added that this is a blog, that appears to be an ad for a
particular doctor's practice.

Gee, not very reliable, is it?

Jeff
Jeff