Advice Please

Old September 9th 04, 05:35 PM
Wildwookie

Default Advice Please

I will be 20 weeks pregnant with our first child in a few days time. Apart
from the usual morning sickness and generally feeling tired all has
progressed normally until recently.

I have started to get alarmingly close to passing out when I am on my feet
even for a few short minutes. When I walk the same thing happens. The only
thing that helps is to lie down as sitting down just leaves me feeling
disorientated and still a bit feint.

I telephoned my midwife who advised this doesn't sound like a blood pressure
or normal pregnancy problem and advised me to see my GP.

I visited my GP who checked my bloods to see if I was anaemic, had low blood
sugar or needed an increase in my Thyroxine (I have an underactive thyroid &
take 150mcg thyroxine per day). All of the tests have come back as normal
and I have been advised it is just one of those things and to keep moving my
weight from one foot to another when I stand up. As this happens when I'm
walking as well as standing up I don't know what I can do.

Has anyone else experienced this ? Any advise would be welcome as I am very
worried.

D.

Old September 9th 04, 05:45 PM
Lindy

i still get dizzy sometime and feel like im about to pass out. ive read
and my dr. said its normal. maybe you are developing diabetes. i dont
know but when i feel like that, i get really hot and need to sit down
and drink a bunch of water. that usually helps. also i try to get some
air, i usually feel pretty weak, so i always try and it some crackers or
something after it happens

http://community.webtv.net/lindo_84/LindysPictures

Old September 9th 04, 05:48 PM
Welches

Wildwookie wrote in message
I will be 20 weeks pregnant with our first child in a few days time. Apart
from the usual morning sickness and generally feeling tired all has
progressed normally until recently.

I have started to get alarmingly close to passing out when I am on my feet
even for a few short minutes. When I walk the same thing happens. The only
thing that helps is to lie down as sitting down just leaves me feeling
disorientated and still a bit feint.

I telephoned my midwife who advised this doesn't sound like a blood

pressure
or normal pregnancy problem and advised me to see my GP.

Sounds normal to me. Had it with both pregnancies. I did find walking
generally better than standing.
I also didn't find sitting much help (even with head between my knees) I was
anaemic with #1, but not with #2 and had no bp problems.
I only once actually fainted (and came to to hear sirens etc-v.
embarrassing) although it did mean lying down sometimes in strange places!
Drinking cold water sometimes helped.
Debbie

&

Old September 9th 04, 06:50 PM
laurie

Do you actually get dizzy? What makes you feel like you want to pass out? Does
it happen often right after you stand up?

The suggestion of more water is excellent, and also try to stand up slowly.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 3 years
Christopher, 15.5 months
Old September 9th 04, 07:08 PM
Larry McMahan

Wildwookie writes:

: I have started to get alarmingly close to passing out when I am on my feet
: even for a few short minutes. When I walk the same thing happens. The only
: thing that helps is to lie down as sitting down just leaves me feeling
: disorientated and still a bit feint.

This could be related to the requirement for additional blood volume
as pregnancy proceeds. If so, then the problem should likely abate as
you get well into the third trimester.

Larry
Old September 9th 04, 08:48 PM
Heather Cosmo

I have the same issues (although I'm not pregnant :-( ) and the doctor says
it's a combo of lack of water and also lack of proper nutrition. I tend to
eat on the run a lot and don't focus on the "right" things to eat, and don't
focus on anything but where the next cup of coffee will come from. I also
tend to move quickly and don't always breathe right.
Certainly discuss this with your doctor on your next visit.
Heather
"Ashirus"
usenet-replyATashirusnwNO_SPAM.freeserve.co.ukDeleteFollo
wrote in message ...
I had similar dizzy spells in pregnancy. I found that the cause was not
drinking enough water.
You should drink plenty water (more than you think is necessary) to
PREVENT
the dizziness.
Good luck

Old September 9th 04, 08:48 PM
Angela Schepers

I had the same problem, and I found that it passed around the end of my
2nd trimester/beginning of the 3rd. Just drink a LOT of water, and take
it easy, especially going up and down stairs. I almost took a tumble
down our stairs due to dizziness, and it was very scary.

Old September 26th 04, 12:17 PM
Sarah Vaughan

In message , Larry McMahan
writes
Wildwookie writes:

: I have started to get alarmingly close to passing out when I am on my feet
: even for a few short minutes. When I walk the same thing happens. The only
: thing that helps is to lie down as sitting down just leaves me feeling
: disorientated and still a bit feint.

This could be related to the requirement for additional blood volume
as pregnancy proceeds. If so, then the problem should likely abate as
you get well into the third trimester.

That's interesting, as I was wondering about that. I had a much milder
version of the same symptoms starting when I was about 15 - 16 weeks
(didn't come on until I'd been standing up for a while, and although I
felt ill with it I don't think I ever got close to passing out) but then
it all seemed to settle again. I couldn't understand why that was,
since I'd have expected it to get worse rather than better as my uterus
got bigger and cut off more of the circulation from my legs, so I
started wondering if the whole thing had just been psychosomatic. Good
to know there's a reasonable physiological explanation for it. ;-)

All the best,

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley