Letting toddlers put their hands all over glass display cases and windows while shopping...?

Old June 28th 04, 06:56 AM
toto

Default Letting toddlers put their hands all over glass display cases

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:53:03 -0500, Nan wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:15:36 -0500, toto
snuck out of the ether to utter:

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:52:54 -0500, Nan wrote:

A waitress can earn much more money, and
feels much more appreciated by even questionable customers.
It's about validation, sweetie.

Frankly, I doubt most waitresses feel very validated by their
customers. In many waitressing jobs, we put up with customers
who are pretty rude (including those who sexually harrass
us).

So you're proving my point to be correct.... that customers are damned
rude, much of the time.

Not at all. But there are those *few* who get on your nerves.
The problem comes when you react in kind.

Buuuut, a waitress gets the benefit of getting tips, when a retail
clerk doesn't. For a waitress, getting a small tip from a jerk will
be overrode by the next generous person to tip well.
For a clerk, it seems the rude customers are more frequent.

Nan

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old June 28th 04, 04:42 PM
Nan

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:56:26 -0500, toto
snuck out of the ether to utter:

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:53:03 -0500, Nan wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:15:36 -0500, toto
snuck out of the ether to utter:

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:52:54 -0500, Nan wrote:

A waitress can earn much more money, and
feels much more appreciated by even questionable customers.
It's about validation, sweetie.

Frankly, I doubt most waitresses feel very validated by their
customers. In many waitressing jobs, we put up with customers
who are pretty rude (including those who sexually harrass
us).

So you're proving my point to be correct.... that customers are damned
rude, much of the time.

Not at all. But there are those *few* who get on your nerves.
The problem comes when you react in kind.

Well, my experience differs *vastly* from your stint back in the day
as a waitress, then. IME, rude customers are aplenty.

Nan
--
"when the sun goes down we'll be groovin'
when the sun goes down we'll be feelin' alright,
Old June 30th 04, 05:10 AM
Al Bell

Default Letting toddlers put their hands all over glass display cases and windows while shopping...?

"dejablues" writes:

"Renee" wrote in message
m...

No, because it *is* messing up someone elses clean-up job, making extra work
for them, and exposing your toddler to germs from all the other people that
have touched it.

It's good to be considerate to the cleaning people. But as long as you
seem to have a healthy baby with a reasonably strong immune system (i.e.,
your baby's colds don't turn into pneumonia or bad croup), I think it's
important to expose the baby to as many ordinary germs as possible.

I'm not talking about going out of your way to expose yourself and your
baby to botulism toxin, Al Qaeda biological warfare viruses, etc. You
also have to protect your baby from lead and other man-made toxins.
So, you don't want your baby eating the dirt next to an old building.

You also want to follow your pediatrician's advice about vaccines and
maybe ask about flu shots.

But, if a germ is so common that it's all over door handles or shop
windows, then it's probably common enough that your baby is going to be
exposed to it sooner or later. Might as well expose your baby now, when
your baby's overall health is good.

Evidence that exposure to ordinary germs is good for babies: babies who
have at least 2 fevers before they're 1 are much less likely to develop
asthma than babies who have no fevers. See
http://allergies.about.com/cs/childr...lnih020904.htm

Old July 1st 04, 10:19 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Nan wrote:

On 27 Jun 2004 08:55:04 -0700, (Nevermind) snuck
out of the ether to utter:

Nan wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:32:02 -0500, toto
snuck out of the ether to utter:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:14:04 -0500, Nan wrote:

Until you've been on the other side of the counter, then your POV is
too one-sided.

I've worked as a waitress which, imo, is fairly similar.

Not even. A waitress makes far better money.

What difference does that make? The key point is that it is OK to use
the services that people are being paid to do for you. it is just as
OK to ask your waitress for water in a fine dining establishment where
she may leave with $200 in her pocket as in a diner where she may
leave with $25 in her pocket. And it is Ok to ask a cashier to do her
job, too, even if she only makes minimum wage.

We were discussing whether retail workers are more rude to customers,
or whether customers were more rude to the workers. I say the
customers are more rude, and have lived both sides. It's not about
asking someone to "do their job". It's about acting superior, or
having an attitude if a retail worker asks you not to let your kids
trash the store, or mark up the glass she just cleaned, or, or, or....
Dorothy seems to think being a waitress back in the day is a
comparable job. It's not. A waitress can earn much more money, and
feels much more appreciated by even questionable customers.
It's about validation, sweetie.

This is a little OT, but what the heck.

Last week, my 18 yo son was obviously really PO'd at a friend. I found
out later it was because his friend was rude to a waitress -- she'd
brought the wrong chicken sandwich, though as soon as it was pointed
out, she appologized for mis-understanding which one he wanted, and
returned it and brought the right one -- and then left an insultingly
low tip. My son doesn't ever want to go to a restauraunt with this
freind again.

I like my son.

My kids (now 18 and 21) may be less than perfect, but the one thing they
DO seem to have gotten is that you should be nice to people waiting on
you, and if you can't afford a decent tip, you can't afford the meal --
order something cheaper.

meh

Old July 1st 04, 10:21 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Tori M." wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
toto wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:01:12 -0500, Nan wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:32:02 -0500, toto
snuck out of the ether to utter:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:14:04 -0500, Nan wrote:

Until you've been on the other side of the counter, then your POV is
too one-sided.

I've worked as a waitress which, imo, is fairly similar.

Not even. A waitress makes far better money.

Not back in my day. And even today, that might only be true of
the upscale establishments. It's unlikely to be true of a waitress
at Denny's say.

Or a breakfast waitress. The dinner people make the money. Even if
you tip 20%, it isn't a great tip if the breakfast costs under $5.00.

I always think of that when I tip.. and then you have the people that just
get a cup of Coffee and toast.. never understand going out to eat and
getting Coffee and a bagle from a sit down place.. not only that but some
people leave bad tips no matter what time. My husband and I usualy tripple
the tax here and then add on if we were particularly difficult... When
Bonnie was into throwing her food arround at 10-13 months we left TONS of
apology tips

Tori

I can remember figuring a 20% tip, then adding $1 or $2 for each child
under the age of 5 . . . I think there were meals where I left a bigger
tip than the meal cost!

meh

Old July 1st 04, 10:26 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Tori M." wrote:

Am I the only one that uses a cart in the store? I dont let Bonnie touch
anything because I know once she has it in her hot little hands it will take
a winch to get it out of them.

Tori

Some kids REALLY hate them.

Plus, some of us had too many kids to put all the kids in a cart.
Sometimes, I'd have one in the cart and pull that while I pushed the
twin stroller -- but, frankly, that was pretty hard on my back.

Once in a while, I put all 3 kids in a cart -- two sitting in the
basket, one in the seat -- but then there wasn't room for anything I
might want to buy! Plus, on at least one occassion, one of the kids in
the basket stood up quickly and the thing fell over, injuring one of her
siblings. THe basket part is really not recommended for kids to ride in.

Old July 1st 04, 11:39 PM
Nan

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 21:19:07 GMT, dragonlady
snuck out of the ether to utter:

Last week, my 18 yo son was obviously really PO'd at a friend. I found
out later it was because his friend was rude to a waitress -- she'd
brought the wrong chicken sandwich, though as soon as it was pointed
out, she appologized for mis-understanding which one he wanted, and
returned it and brought the right one -- and then left an insultingly
low tip. My son doesn't ever want to go to a restauraunt with this
freind again.

I like my son.

Good for your son. People are human, and they make mistakes.
Sometimes it's the chef/cook/bartender that makes the error, or the
hostess isn't friendly, and the waitress can pay dearly for that when
the customer takes it out on her.
(note: I use the term waitress, but I include waiters as well.)

My kids (now 18 and 21) may be less than perfect, but the one thing they
DO seem to have gotten is that you should be nice to people waiting on
you, and if you can't afford a decent tip, you can't afford the meal --
order something cheaper.

I agree!

Nan