Help devising childrens games out of household items.

Old January 10th 05, 05:45 PM
Paul H

Default Help devising childrens games out of household items.

My wife and I have three year old girl and want to create games/activities
for her. Sure, she has dolls, jigsaw puzzles, cuddly toys etc.. but I want
to stimulate her creative side by trying to look at ways to have fun (and
learn!) by using ordinary objects in a fun and creative way. I want to
encourage her to look at things differently and explore possibilities.

For example:

A pack of playing cards can be used to build a pyramid

12 pebbles and two sticks can make a clock

Crude science can be performed with household objects (to demonstrate
physics, gravity, etc..)

If someone knows a website or as any ideas that could help me, I will send
you a signed photo of my little girl picking up her Nobel prize in about 20
years time ;O)

Many tanks in advance.

Great group.

Paul

Old January 10th 05, 07:23 PM
enigma

"Paul H" wrote in
:

My wife and I have three year old girl and want to create
games/activities for her. Sure, she has dolls, jigsaw
puzzles, cuddly toys etc.. but I want to stimulate her
creative side by trying to look at ways to have fun (and
learn!) by using ordinary objects in a fun and creative
way. I want to encourage her to look at things differently
and explore possibilities.

there is a book called 'Why Would I Want The Toy When I Can
Have The Box?' by Rex Bowlby that covers lots of fun,
inexpensive things to do with 3-6 year olds. not much
scientific stuff, but good, cheap, fun ideas.

involve her in your everyday activities, cooking, cleaning,
sorting laundry, even routine auto maintainence. take her for
walks in the woods, show her leaves, tracks, listen to birds.
remember *everything* is new to her.
lee
Old January 10th 05, 08:59 PM
shinypenny

Paul H wrote:
My wife and I have three year old girl and want to create

games/activities
for her. Sure, she has dolls, jigsaw puzzles, cuddly toys etc.. but I

want
to stimulate her creative side by trying to look at ways to have fun

(and
learn!) by using ordinary objects in a fun and creative way. I want

encourage her to look at things differently and explore

possibilities.

One of the best ways to teach this is to give your child plenty of
opportunity to find ways to entertain themselves *without* toys.

I've noticed when we go to my parents' house my kids will get a lot
more creative and find ways to entertain themselves, even though my
folks only keep a handful of toys around. They might build tents out of
chairs and a blanket, build houses out of old cardboard boxes, or get a
mason jar and run around catching fireflies. On our last visit, my DD
spent hours playing with a praying mantis she caught. She kept bringing
it flies and watching it pounce and eat them.

One favorite activity they invented at grandma's is called "parachute."
They made a small parachute out of twine and a linen napkin. They
attached their stuffed animals to to it and spent hours and hours
throwing it down the balconey stairs.

Realizing it's not easy and no one would want to discard all their
toys, consider toy-free opportunities outside the home.

For example, keep the toys at home when you go on long car trips, and
instead teach the kids games like I Spy or sing songs.

Keep the toys at home when you go to the beach, and your kids are more
likely to discover that a shell makes a good shovel and paper cups make
great sand castle molds.

For the really brave, consider leaving the toys at home when you take
your kid to a restaurant. Without toys, the child may surprise you and
get creative finding a way to occupy himself. My kids could play
happily for an hour at the table with a pair of chopsticks and a glass
of ice.

Instead of giving young children a toy to play with in their stroller,
try giving them a safe household implement. I used to rotate things
like the plastic spaghetti tong thingie, a whisk, spatula, a wooden
spoon, egg timer, oven mitts, etc. They particularly liked anything
bright and shiny and with interesting construction. There's hours and
hours of fun non-toy stuff in a kitchen. Think beans, water, food
coloring, tin foil, paper bags. Just give it to them (as long as it's
age appropriate and they won't choke or hurt themselves on it), and
step back and let them figure out what they could possibly do with it.
See, they don't know it's *not* supposed to be a toy! They will figure
out a way to play with it, if you're not saying "No, don't touch,
that's not a toy." (I think that's what happens a lot of times... keep
reading for related anecdote below).

Ironically, although my kids had tons of toys (too many), their
favorite "toys" was a cabinet full of plastic containers in the
kitchen. This is the only kitchen cabinet that didn't have a child lock
on it. They'd drag everything out while I was working in the kitchen,
and occupy themselves happily while mom walked around in a sea of
plastic containers. :-(

I think sometimes as parents we may thwart our kids from learning how
to play without toys. Not deliberately - it's just easy to do. First,
we all probably have too many toys (especially compared to previous
generations). With too many toys, the kid has no reason to get creative
with a cardboard box, etc.

Second, a parent might redirect the child towards toys instead of
creative play that presses into service the dining room chairs, the
bedspread, and all the sofa cushions in the house.

I know when my kids first created the game, "Jumpy Land" I cringed and
tried to redirect them to their game closet instead. But eventually I
caved in because I admired that they had come up with the idea. (In
this game, you take all the sofa cushions and pile them strategically
around the room. Then you have to make it from one end of the room to
the other without touching the floor. You can use the cushions, the
furniture, you can jump, whatever. If you touch the floor, then
everyone screams "Jumpy Land" and jumps up and down on the cushions,
which will forever after be lumpy to sit on!).

With a game like that, it's awfully easy to direct the child towards
the brand-new sparkly toys instead. :-)

jen

Old January 11th 05, 07:45 AM
Rob

If you have the time, and patience, a good book to look into is "Let's
make toys" by McConkey & Jeffree. The have designs for a lot of sturdy
toys, especially wooden ones.

Rob
-----------------------------
www.dollarettes.com
Helping kids understand money

Old January 11th 05, 04:48 PM
Penny Gaines

Paul H wrote:

My wife and I have three year old girl and want to create games/activities
for her. Sure, she has dolls, jigsaw puzzles, cuddly toys etc.. but I want
to stimulate her creative side by trying to look at ways to have fun (and
learn!) by using ordinary objects in a fun and creative way. I want to
encourage her to look at things differently and explore possibilities.

You might find this article interesting:
http://www.iol.co.za/general/newsvie...08847581S3 53

It describes an experiment where researchers left 3yos and 4yos in a room
with their parents and a collection of foam shapes. They observed the
parents for the amount of intereaction with their child, and the amount of
creativity from the kids.

To their surprise, they found the *most creative* kids had the
*least parental* involvement in their play.

The study's authors think that whem their parents get involved in
their play, children tend to feel "evaluated and judged". From other
stuff I've read about creativity, people tend to be most creative
when they are under least pressure.

So basically, as a parent you need to provide the objects to play with,
and let the kid get on with it.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old January 12th 05, 10:12 AM
Penny Gaines

toto wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:48:13 +0000, Penny Gaines
wrote:

The study's authors think that whem their parents get involved in
their play, children tend to feel "evaluated and judged". From other
stuff I've read about creativity, people tend to be most creative
when they are under least pressure.

I agree with this to an extent. OTOH, I think parents can join in
children's play and still encourage creativity *if* they follow the
children's lead instead of trying to direct the playing.

But not if they do it all the time. Even if they are following the
child's lead, there is a risk that the child will be thinking "Mummy,
who knows everything, has such good ideas: this one match up".

Of course as they get older, they realise Mummy doesn't know *everything*,
but at 4yo, they would still be thinking that.

The other risk - almost certain in fact - is that either the adult or
the child will get bored with a particular idea before the other one.
So the child will either be forced to change what they are discovering
before they have finished looking at all the options on that theme, or
they will have got bored and want to do something different while the
parent is still showing them the first option.

Actually a similar risk is that the parent probably already knows what
a specific object can do, and won't have the same sense of amazement.

I wonder if the OP should try and learn more about creativity in adults?
Some of Tony Buzan's books (eg about mind mapping) are very interesting.
Also Edward de Bono has written some interesting things. I've got one
called "Teach your child to think". I haven't finished that one - and
it is for older children - but they might be worth looking out for.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old January 13th 05, 07:34 AM
P. Tierney

wrote:

The study's authors think that whem their parents get involved in
their play, children tend to feel "evaluated and judged". From other
stuff I've read about creativity, people tend to be most creative
when they are under least pressure.

I agree with this to an extent. OTOH, I think parents can join in
children's play and still encourage creativity *if* they follow the
children's lead instead of trying to direct the playing.

But not if they do it all the time.

I certainly agree. However, there *has* to be some variation
between the quality of interaction that the parent is providing, and
that must make a difference. The author noted the problem of
"parents getting involved too much". But, as with teaching, some
involvement encourages, while other can discourage. Such as....

Even if they are following the
child's lead, there is a risk that the child will be thinking "Mummy,
who knows everything, has such good ideas: this one match up".

In such an example, if the child think so much of the parent
and much less of her/his own ideas, then that would be the
result of the specific parenting interaction, it seems, and not
just because parenting interaction was present.

At the top, you note that "people are most creative when they
are under the least pressure". I agree. But I do not agree
(if it is what is being suggested) that parent/child play will inevitably
result in parental pressure. Possible? Sure -- if one isn't careful.

P. Tierney

Old January 13th 05, 03:09 PM
Penny Gaines

wrote:

The study's authors think that whem their parents get involved in
their play, children tend to feel "evaluated and judged". From other
stuff I've read about creativity, people tend to be most creative
when they are under least pressure.

I agree with this to an extent. OTOH, I think parents can join in
children's play and still encourage creativity *if* they follow the
children's lead instead of trying to direct the playing.

But not if they do it all the time.

I certainly agree. However, there *has* to be some variation
between the quality of interaction that the parent is providing, and
that must make a difference. The author noted the problem of
"parents getting involved too much". But, as with teaching, some
involvement encourages, while other can discourage. Such as....

Well yes, a completely uninterested parent will discourage the child,
and a completely interested parent will overwhelm the child.

I think though, that when a parent posts asking for suggestions like
the OP did, there is a risk that he will be overly involved, rather
then under involved.

Even if they are following the
child's lead, there is a risk that the child will be thinking "Mummy,
who knows everything, has such good ideas: this one match up".

In such an example, if the child think so much of the parent
and much less of her/his own ideas, then that would be the
result of the specific parenting interaction, it seems, and not
just because parenting interaction was present.

It might be that child's temperament as well. Some kids are born
perfectionists, and these kids in particular may tend to be
dis-satisfied with their own ideas - or pictures, or lego models.

At the top, you note that "people are most creative when they
are under the least pressure". I agree. But I do not agree
(if it is what is being suggested) that parent/child play will inevitably
result in parental pressure. Possible? Sure -- if one isn't careful.

I think I was more opposed to the idea that the parnet has to
interact with the child in certain ways to get them to unleash
their creativity. The parent can do certain things to *enable*
it - such as providing the enviroment - but once the enviroment
is set up, the child can do a lot of the work on their own.

FWIW, we try to provide an enviroment where children can play
with things how they want, but at mealtimes etc, we try to provide
them with new ideas by talking about things. we try to get them
to look at things carefully - "is that chair just one shade
of brown, or does the light shine on it differently", and to analyse
things, but I don't get so involved in their 'doing'.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old January 14th 05, 05:57 AM
P. Tierney

P. Tierney wrote:

I certainly agree. However, there *has* to be some variation
between the quality of interaction that the parent is providing, and
that must make a difference. The author noted the problem of
"parents getting involved too much". But, as with teaching, some
involvement encourages, while other can discourage. Such as....

Well yes, a completely uninterested parent will discourage the child,
and a completely interested parent will overwhelm the child.

I think though, that when a parent posts asking for suggestions like
the OP did, there is a risk that he will be overly involved, rather
then under involved.

Rereading it, that is understandable.

At the top, you note that "people are most creative when they
are under the least pressure". I agree. But I do not agree
(if it is what is being suggested) that parent/child play will inevitably
result in parental pressure. Possible? Sure -- if one isn't careful.

I think I was more opposed to the idea that the parnet has to
interact with the child in certain ways to get them to unleash
their creativity. The parent can do certain things to *enable*
it - such as providing the enviroment - but once the enviroment
is set up, the child can do a lot of the work on their own.

I agree. While your response was more about the post, mine
was more about the study cited. It didn't seem to distinguish
between a parent who took the blocks and said, "I have a great
idea, let's do it this way!" versus one whose comments left it
up to the child.

And maybe there isn't a difference. I don't know. But I'd
like to know if the author's of the study considered such things,
and what the results might have been.

P. Tierney

Old January 17th 05, 04:11 AM

Exactly, this can lead to extremely bad habits, which may dissolve
other things