The Worst Restaurant Foods for Kids

Old April 30th 09, 05:54 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
The Master

Default The Worst Restaurant Foods for Kids

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Stephanie wrote:

Did your kid try a salad right away instead of chicken nuggets?

Can you explain to me why you are hyper focused on this right away business?

I believe I have been abundantly clear time and time and time again.
While I am talking about the lack of middle steps to get your child from
point A to point B, the bashers complain that I don't know how to talk to
my child. I am saying that article is of no use, since it is only a list
of goals and offers no instruction on how to get there. And for that, I
am attacked with rabid hate.

Honestly, I expected nothing else. But please, don't act so shocked when
I object...
Old April 30th 09, 06:02 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Stephanie[_4_]

The Master wrote:
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Stephanie wrote:

Did your kid try a salad right away instead of chicken nuggets?

Can you explain to me why you are hyper focused on this right away
business?

I believe I have been abundantly clear time and time and time again.
While I am talking about the lack of middle steps to get your child
from point A to point B, the bashers complain that I don't know how
to talk to my child. I am saying that article is of no use, since it
is only a list of goals and offers no instruction on how to get
there. And for that, I am attacked with rabid hate.

You call that rabid hate? I am blown away by your sense that what you
received was rabid hate.

Given the cryptic nature of your responses "Reasone with an eight year old?"
as a completely ridculous without further qualifications makes me disgree
that you have been "abundantly clear." Peace out.

Old April 30th 09, 06:20 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
The Master

From the original post:
Luckily, Eat This, Not That! is here to help you order smart
and sensible food for your children when youre eating away
from home. Skip these dietary disasters to help keep your
kids lean, strong, and healthy.

From this, it is clearly implied, but I admit not flat out stated, that
this list is intended for parents to pick healthy alternatives for their
children. That is, you are already at On the Border, Ruby Tuesday,
Romanos Macaroni Grill, etc. And your goal is to pick for your child a
healthy alternative to their first choice.

Now if your kids already eat this way, great. But for the rest of us,
who's children don't, this list is utterly useless since it's a list of
foods that our children will not currently eat. As a result, I have been
accused of not knowing how to talk to my children.

If I had the luxury of months to work with my child, help them make good
choices, blah blah blah... But that is clearly not the case. The
waitress is on her way back to the table with the drinks, and I have to
talk junior into having the Home Fries instead of the Smiley Face
Potatoes... That is CLEARLY what this article is trying to provide for,
and it CLEARLY fails at it's goal.

Why am I hyper focused on "right a way" results? Because I see the
waitress walking to my table, that's why. That IS the situation this
article was written for. I'm just trying to apply it the way it was
intended, and I'm flamed for it... Go figure...

Old April 30th 09, 06:41 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Stephanie[_4_]

The Master wrote:
From the original post:
Luckily, Eat This, Not That! is here to help you order smart
and sensible food for your children when youre eating away
from home. Skip these dietary disasters to help keep your
kids lean, strong, and healthy.

From this, it is clearly implied, but I admit not flat out stated,
that this list is intended for parents to pick healthy alternatives
for their children. That is, you are already at On the Border, Ruby
Tuesday, Romanos Macaroni Grill, etc. And your goal is to pick for
your child a healthy alternative to their first choice.

Now if your kids already eat this way, great. But for the rest of us,
who's children don't, this list is utterly useless since it's a list
of foods that our children will not currently eat. As a result, I
have been accused of not knowing how to talk to my children.

For the rrecord, you were the one who countered that if one spoke to their
children, they would become bored and thus not listen. That was all you.

If I had the luxury of months to work with my child, help them make
good choices, blah blah blah... But that is clearly not the case.

You call working with your kids on health a luxury?

Old April 30th 09, 11:06 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Robin King

"Truth" wrote in message

TM does not have custody of his fat kids. The court found him to be

an
unfit parent. His wife left him after she lost weight, gained

self-esteem,
then realized that he's scum and left him.

"Truth hurts" - is that why you don't tell it? The ex-Mrs.
Master took quite a drop in living standards when she got divorced.
Besides, what does getting yourself eviscerated in order to conform to
the beauty standards of the day have to do with self-esteem? I'd
rather be fat.

Robin

Old April 30th 09, 11:45 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
The Master

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Robin King wrote:

TM does not have custody of his fat kids. The court found him to be

an
unfit parent.

"Truth hurts" - is that why you don't tell it?

Anyone who has gone through a divorce can tell you, the mother is ASSUMED
to be the better parent, and unless it can be proven that she abuses them
or is an active criminal, she gets the children, even in Texas.

I didn't try to fight her for custody for 2 simple reasons:

1) Making it more bitter and painful then it had to be would only harm the
children.

2) I was going to lose anyhow.

As it is, I get them most weekends, she keeps them only 5 or so weekends a
year for special events. And considering she lives in one of the best
school districts in the state of Texas, I felt it would cause more harm
then good to be the asshole that "truth" would have rather me be.

The ex-Mrs.
Master took quite a drop in living standards when she got divorced.

Oh yeah... Even with child support taken from my check, I still make
above the US median household income. On the other hand, my ex wife and
her now husband each make about what my child support payment is, and thus
accounts for 1/3rd of their total household income.

Besides, what does getting yourself eviscerated in order to conform to
the beauty standards of the day have to do with self-esteem? I'd
rather be fat.

Weak minded people who base their self worth on the opinions of others...
Old May 1st 09, 01:25 AM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Orlando Enrique Fiol

%A wrote:
Yeah it would be nice if we were all perfect out of the gate. But that is
not in the cards. So what.... you decide to throw up your hands and abdicate
your responsibility to your child because you ****ed up in the first place?
Great **** up once then follow up with a willful **** up because
I Cannnnnnnn't. They woooooooon't. I can't talk tot hem. Blahdeeblah

I completely agree. I think many parents allow their children to eat badly out
of sheer sloth and selfishness. Rather than take time to cook healthy food or
at least seek it out in public, they just go for whatever's conveniently
available. This fosters a mentality that food is purely intended for a feeling
of convenient nourishment; never mind that unhealthy food is anything but
nourishing. Fast food does not make memories. I've never heard anyone wax
nostalgic about the calory-laden foods enumerated in the original article. If
one is going to remember certain childhood comfort foods fondly, let them at
least be home made from ingredients actually found in nature.

Orlando
Old May 1st 09, 01:27 AM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Orlando Enrique Fiol

%A wrote:
You cannot even speak to your owwn child for fear that he or she would be
bored by you. The whole dang thing is pointless so you might as well throw
up your hands and have another donut.
You and I have nothing to say to each other if you think that you cannot
even speak to your own child.

If he thinks he cannot speak to his own child, he's in dire need of your help.
Why turn your back on him and ostracize him because he can no longer muster up
the strength to be a parent? Such people need our encouragement and resources
rather than our scorn. It's always easier to scorn than help.

Orlando
Old May 1st 09, 01:30 AM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Orlando Enrique Fiol

%A wrote:
You know what strikes me... The group that keeps getting xposted to ww is
called something something fat.ACCEPTANCE. But what that really seems to
mean that facts and realities surrounding the *risks* of being fat need to
be squelched at all costs. Things like not every fat person gets type 2
diabetes becomes an argument that a fat person's risk does not, in fact go
UP for type 2 diabetes. Which is darn right weird. Will YOU get type 2
diabetes? Or joint issuses? Or heart disease? Stroke? Cancer? Liver disease?
Gall bladder disease? You may not. But what a freaking long list! Not
everyone gets these diseases and non-obese people do too are not really very
cogent arguments about the risk that any individual will goes up
dramatically depending on the level of obesity, the disease and other
factors. Pretending that fact does not exist does not exists does not
further your fat accepance cause, if you ask me.
Fat people have every right to be fat. That is thei choice. And as such, I
guess you could say that I, for one, accept fat. But be truthful fer pete's
sake.

This issue is so fraught with pontification and moralizing on both sides. If
fat people weren't automatically branded glutons who are so morally bankrupt
that they can't control their eating, there would be no need for fat acceptance
as a response.

Orlando
Old May 1st 09, 01:38 AM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Stephanie[_4_]

Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
%A wrote:
[...]

On the flip side, if every person who attempted a conversation weren't
disended upon as a person of raging hate, at lease insofar as the group were
concerned, then there would be less dismissing as psychotic blathering.