Clothing for tweens

Old February 26th 04, 11:49 AM
dragonlady

Default Clothing for tweens

In article , "Beeswing"
wrote:

"dragonlady" wrote in message
Surprisingly, one place my kids (now 18 and 21) insist on continuing

shop is a store that specializes in school uniforms. The slacks they
carry are Dickies (I think that's how it's spelled) which are similar

in
quality and style to Dockers, but much less expensive. Plus, if we

shop
there in June and July, we get a discount, and they do cheap hems for
free -- since DD#2 has her Mom's short legs, this is particularly
welcome.

Funny -- my daughter's elementary school requires school uniforms; most
of what The Kid wears comes from http://www.frenchtoast.com. She's happy
enough with it, and it makes it easy on my husband and I. I'd bet almost
anything, though, when she hits middle school, she won't come near
anything vaguely uniformlike voluntarily. Except maybe her scout
uniform at meetings...if we're lucky.

beeswing

My kids don't buy ALL their clothes there -- just the pants. But they
LOVE the pants.

(And DD#1, especially, buys LOTS of her clothes at 2nd hand stores. She
makes her own style, but has an amazing ability to put stuff together
that, somehow, works. She even rented a vintage dress for her prom -- a
20's dark blue velvet thing that was stunning on her.)

meh

Old February 26th 04, 11:51 AM
animzmirot

"Leah Adezio" wrote in message

Beeswing wrote in message

"dragonlady" wrote in message
Plus, if you can stand going into Filene's basement (the original, not
one of the suburban knock offs) and have time to really shop, you can
find some amazing bargains!

I think I spent the greater part of my childhood following around my
mother in the Sear's Bargain Basement. (It was located at the original
"flagship" Sears store.)

That brought back memories!

Ah, but Filene's [original] basement is an experience like no other. I

went
to school in Boston my freshman year in college and immediately sought out
the Basement. When my parents came up to visit me for parents' weekend, I
took my mother there and it was like she'd become a woman possessed!

Since
Mom was always a very laid back person, it was an absolute hoot to see her
become this, well....shopping shark.

Meek little old ladies become savages there. Children are sacrificed to

the
Shopping Gods. World title prizefighters had absolutely nothing on the
shoppers at Filene's Basement. They would run like rabbits from mountain
lions.

I spent many a childhood afternoon with my grandmother, the shopping shark,
at Filenes Basement, with my mother along for company. My mom swears that
Filenes Basement (the original in Downtown Crossing) pales in comparison to
the original Loehmanns, where there were no changing rooms and women walked
all around the store in their underwear. Sigh...that would have been
interesting! As a kid, I remember going to Loehmanns with my mom and being
so surprised at the communal dressing rooms. It was a great lesson in 'we
come in all shapes and sizes' for me.

I miss that kind of shark-like shopping. We just don't have shopping
challanges anymore, and IMO, that's a shame.

Marjorie, competitive shopping wannabe

Leah

beeswing

Old February 26th 04, 08:07 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"animzmirot" wrote:

You are a woman after my own heart. I come from a long line of sales
shoppers...there's me, my mother, and her mother before her....

Me too. If it's not on sale, I don't buy it. I'd recommend checking
Marshalls and TJMaxx as well. DD does really well at our local Marshalls. If
you have a Loehmanns, you might want to look there in the petite sizes.

I'd skip Old Navy. The clothes, IMO, are trampy and very poorly made.
Nothing we've ever purchased there has lasted well. I like the Gap Outlet,
but DD would rather DIE than wear anything purchased there. She likes
Abercrombie, but again, too expensive and too trampy for our tastes. Other
people feel differently...but that's just a YMMV.

Marjorie

I have a friend who always shops for her daughters at Old Navy, because
the girls are very tall, and she says they have good sizes. As a devout
Mormon family, they don't wear anything that could even remotely be
called "trampy". I've been in there a couple of times, and seen basic
pants and shirts -- nothing I can imagine being called trampy. Same
with Abercrombie -- though I haven't been in one, my kids have been sent
stuff from that store and it was basic sweat shirts and long sleeve
shirts. So it must be possibe to get "not trampy" stuff there, too.

meh

Old February 27th 04, 12:50 AM
Rosalie B.

"Cathy Kearns" wrote:

"H Schinske" wrote in message

My mom swears that
Filenes Basement (the original in Downtown Crossing) pales in comparison

the original Loehmanns, where there were no changing rooms and women

walked
all around the store in their underwear.

I can remember being told about *some* sale or other that it was the "done
thing" to wear a leotard, tights, and a slip-on skirt to the sale, because then
you could try on almost anything in the aisles.

My roommates and I used to do that shopping the warehouse district
while we were in college. Lots of great buys, but communal dressing
rooms if there were dressing rooms at all. Then again, back then
leotards and wrap skirts were the fashion, and common everywhere.

My mom taught us how to try things on without a dressing room. Only
needs that you not wear trousers. You don't have to wear a wrap skirt
and a leotard, although it helps if your dress isn't too tight and/or
doesn't have tight armholes or is a bit stretchy. Any regular skirt
and a fairly loose pullover will work.

You either put the thing you are trying on under what you are wearing
and then take what you are wearing off, or you put what you are trying
on, on top of what you are wearing and then take what you are wearing
out from under it.

If you are trying on trousers, you don't even have to take the top
garment off if you don't want to - just lift and bunch.

We use to shop at Loehmans and they had communal dressing rooms, but
my that time, we'd been used to undressing in front of other females
for PE and showering in gang showers so the communal part wasn't a
problem.

grandma Rosalie

Old February 28th 04, 10:16 PM
LisaBell

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:50:40 EST, "Rosalie B."
wrote:

"Cathy Kearns" wrote:

"H Schinske" wrote in message
My mom swears that
Filenes Basement (the original in Downtown Crossing) pales in comparison

the original Loehmanns, where there were no changing rooms and women

walked
all around the store in their underwear.

snip
My roommates and I used to do that shopping the warehouse district
while we were in college. Lots of great buys, but communal dressing
rooms if there were dressing rooms at all. Then again, back then
leotards and wrap skirts were the fashion, and common everywhere.

snip

We use to shop at Loehmans and they had communal dressing rooms, but
my that time, we'd been used to undressing in front of other females
for PE and showering in gang showers so the communal part wasn't a
problem.

What's the big deal about communal dressing rooms? Don't you usually
have those in the US? They were very common in the UK when I was a
teenager (probably still are, I haven't checked recently)
particularly in stores that catered to young people.

Marks and Spencers, OTOH, didn't offer any changing room facilities at
all in those days, but English people would have rather dropped dead
than be seen to be surreptitiously trying something on under your
skirt. I find communal facilities to be far preferable to a small
(insufficient) number of individual dressing rooms, which is what many
establishments seem to have now.

--Lisabell

Iron on & sew on clothing name tapes / labels for summer camp Leslie Hartsman General 1 December 16th 04 08:33 PM
wonderful baby and toddler clothing D Knapp General 0 December 16th 03 05:00 PM
Fall Clothing Suzy Cox General 21 September 22nd 03 05:20 AM
Vent: Getting rid of outgrown clothing chiam margalit General 20 August 26th 03 06:07 PM