Media Guide for Kids and Families

Old May 9th 04, 05:48 PM
R. Steve Walz

Default Media Guide for Kids and Families

Steve Saus wrote:

R. Steve Walz wrote:

Common Sense Media wrote:

I'm writing you from Common Sense Media (www.CommonSenseMedia.org),
the nation's leading non-partisan organization dedicated to
improving media and entertainment choices for kids and families.
I'd like to

-----------------
This organization is a hysterical nanny-state pro-censor outfit
which presumes to promote all sorts of phony pseudo-psychological
principles that have no proof or even reasonable expectation of
truth if analyzed reasonably and logically.

Kids don't become violent because of what they see on the tube, or
even video games, they only become violent if they are abused and
harmed and their rights violated by parents and others in childhood.

Mr. Walz:

I have no idea who that group is, and I've definitely seen some that
are very hysterical. Yet I've found even those are sometimes
useful - since they report EVERYTHING, even stuff I think is well
within my kids' ability to understand and deal with, I know about it.

Regardless, I must take issue with the opinion you offer in your second
paragraph. I offer the below as evidence of current
_research_, which I simply take into _advisement_ as a parent actively
involved with my kids and what they are exposed to in the
media.

http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/violence.html

Violent programs on television lead to aggressive behavior by children
and teenagers who watch those programs.

-----------------------
Only kids who have a use for violence. Unfortunately research into
the nature of causes is stymied precisely by the sheer prevalence of
kids in this society with a vast untapped need for revenge that will
haunt or destroy their life and confound most healthy motivations.

As I proceeded to indicate after that, this is unrecognized precisely
because parents don't WISH to come to grips with their OWN immature and
viciously illicit controlling behaviors being a form of severest mental
abuse and the direct CAUSE of youth violence ITSELF!

As I said:
--
"This organization is a hysterical nanny-state pro-censor outfit
which presumes to promote all sorts of phony pseudo-psychological
principles that have no proof or even reasonable expectation of
truth if analyzed reasonably and logically.

Kids don't become violent because of what they see on the tube, or
even video games, they only become violent if they are abused and
harmed and their rights violated by parents and others in childhood.

Whether these cretins of this outfit wish to grasp this or not,
children are entirely rational and predictable in their motives
to be violent, they aren't interested in harming anyone who has
been kind and non-bullying to them, they only develop violent
motives directly because of abuse and the desire for revenge.

They don't simply imitate whatever they see, like some monkey,
as has been implied by these illogical and insulting cretins.

While movies can teach the MEANS of violence to children who have
violent motives and grudges toward those who have harmed them, it
doesn't do much more than their imagination can do anyway, or any
library or a few adventure novels.

The key to understanding the mistreatment of children that causes
them to become violent is to admit that children have rights that
are often abused by parents and the school system and local
government, and that any adult would do the same thing to avail
themselves of revenge if they were treated that way!!

Parents often wish to characterize the violence children wish to
do as irrational because this mis-characterization is useful to
them to disinform others by way of attempting to justify their
abusive efforts to control these young people, and because they
wish to characterize their bullying of young people as something
which should be accepted by the young, when the young in the light
of Real Justice SHOULD have, in fact, every right to KILL them for
it!!

The rights of children to their own autonomy and their own decisions
and life choices should not be abridged by parents citing phony
justifications for their bullying of them.
Steve"
---------
EndQuote

That's the word from a 1982 report by the National Institute of Mental
Health, a report that confirmed and extended an earlier study done by
the Surgeon General. As a result of these and other research findings,
the American Psychological Association passed a resolution in February
1985 informing broadcasters and the public of the potential dangers
that viewing violence on television can have for children.

-------------------
Unfortunately that methology is dog**** precisely for the reasons I
just gave you above, the sheer prevalence of parental abuse causing
the vast untapped need for violence, so that mere media informers
of violent method are seen as causes rather than mere triggers of
imitation by most kids who, having been abused by western parental
behavior, have a VAST need for revenge anyway.

The evidence for this is within you. You know full well that if you
have been raised by people who are kind to you and on your side so
that you love them, then you have no use for violence and are mostly
disturbed and surprised by it in media and novels, and you're shocked
and annoyed by the motivation for it.

But if you have been brutalized by controlling uncaring parents, then
you see parents and the rest of the world that seemingly supports
them as fair targets for violent retaliation and revenge by torture,
and you laugh amusedly and are gratified when you think of it or have
presented to you samples of violence you can fantasize performing upon
them. You seek opportunities to experience this kind of pay-back,
even upon people not directly responsible for your abuse if you don't
think in a very ordered manner, and you would enjoy the bullying and
mistreatment of others using your latest scheme or method of revenge.

Pretending that kids are merely some kind of monkey which does as it
sees done, means you have totally abandoned your wits and the evidence
contained in your own imagination regarding human behavior and how to
anticipate it as we EVOLVED to do. Hurting people makes them hurt you
back, and others as well. You abandoning your good sense at this
juncture in favor of this quite poorly methologized APA poo-poo is
hilariously pitiful. That stuff reads like it was thought up by a
committee which disagreed constantly reflecting its immaturity and
then used a set of dice to break all ties. It never asks reasonable
questions of people as to why they did what they did, ignoring the
existence of the cogent mind, as it did in behaviorist times when the
mind was deemed irrelevant!! And for what? To APPEAR "scientific"!!!
Dispassionate is NOT "scientific"!!!

[the above paragraph taken from the website]

To recap:

* I have no idea of the legitimacy of that group.
* Current research shows that violent media does have some effect on
children's behavior
* As a responsible parent, that means I need to be involved and tailor
my child's media diet to what they're able to handle - and
not just to some organization's recommendations, though I can use
thier ratings as a tool in doing my job as a parent.

----------------
Horse****. If you want your kids NOT to hate you and others, then
treat them as you would want to BE treated if you WERE them. Gee,
sounds like some ancient Nazarene poet right there, didn't I?
Last *I* looked that means being their FRIEND and their EQUAL,
and NOT their "parent" like the backward abd abusive agencies of
this society and the Xtian religion want you to do to protect
their power and profits.
Steve
Old May 10th 04, 12:23 AM
J.Pascal

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in message ...
Steve Saus wrote:

(...)

http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/violence.html

Violent programs on television lead to aggressive behavior by children
and teenagers who watch those programs.

-----------------------
Only kids who have a use for violence. Unfortunately research into
the nature of causes is stymied precisely by the sheer prevalence of
kids in this society with a vast untapped need for revenge that will
haunt or destroy their life and confound most healthy motivations.

Do you have *any* familiarity with studies and
control groups? If research is stymied because of sheer
prevalence, etc., then controlling for television viewing
will make *no* *difference* and the study will show just
that.

Besides which, your assertion that it is not possible to
study this *also* defeats any claim of *yours* as to the
cause of violence or prevalence of abuse or how to solve
it. What you have made is essentially a statement of faith.
A statement of what you *believe* to be the causes. It can
not be anything *but* belief because the research, by
your own assertion, is stymied.

Stale mate.

(misc.education groups removed)

j.pascal
Old May 10th 04, 12:50 AM
R. Steve Walz

J.Pascal wrote:

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in message ...
Steve Saus wrote:

(...)

As I said:
--
[...]

There aren't any suitable control groups when the study is of
the society at large who either all watch TV or all brutalize
their children unbeknownst to the researchers. The dangers of
uncontrolled variables abound, which makes all such methodologies
absolute dog****.

Besides which, your assertion that it is not possible to
study this *also* defeats any claim of *yours* as to the
cause of violence or prevalence of abuse or how to solve
it.

---------------------
I assert that it is NOT studiable, and that it does NOT need
to BE studied, AND that we already know enough about it if we
think.

What you have made is essentially a statement of faith.

------------------------
No, not faith. A statement of knowledge of self and others
from inner nature. And those two are VERY different.

A statement of what you *believe* to be the causes. It can
not be anything *but* belief because the research, by
your own assertion, is stymied.

Stale mate.

---------------------------
Hardly.
Research is not required to obtain self-knowledge.

All you've done is manipulate words without noting meaning.
Not all belief is the same.

Belief in science and knowledge is science.
Belief in Religion is dog****.
Belief both, but one is right, the other wrong.

(misc.education groups removed)

------------------------------
Restored.

j.pascal

-------------
Steve
Old May 10th 04, 04:22 AM
Pam Crouch

Default Media Guide for Kids and Families--Points of Order

Steve Walz, you have said a lot of things, but haven't backed them up with
any kind of proof. The concrete evidence against your position you've
rejected without offering any evidence of your own. Also, you've quoted
*yourself* more than once, which makes it seem as though you are appealing
to yourself as an authority(?) This is rather unusual in a debate.

Please pick a forum to do your battle in, and stick with it. In general,
the only people who will agree with you are TCS parenting philosophers, so
find one of those fora to post your dogmatic rhetoric on. By continually
restating the same thing without supporting it, you are coming across like a
fundamentalist of some sort.

--Pam

J.Pascal wrote:

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in message

Steve Saus wrote:

(...)

Old May 10th 04, 04:47 AM
R. Steve Walz

Pam Crouch wrote:

Steve Walz, you have said a lot of things, but haven't backed them up with
any kind of proof.

-------------
Nothing I say needs external proof, just your own deepest inner
honesty and candor, which you have been shamed and brainwashed
into repressing.

The concrete evidence against your position you've
rejected without offering any evidence of your own.

---------------
There isn't any such thing, nor has any such been offered here.

All you spew are unsupported brainwashing by religion and your
parents, none having any supportable or reasoned basis in fact.

Also, you've quoted
*yourself* more than once, which makes it seem as though you are appealing
to yourself as an authority(?) This is rather unusual in a debate.

-----------------
I appeal to nothing, I repeat myself so you can read it again, so
that you have another opportunity to let it reach your deepest inner
honesty and possibly defeat your brainwashing.

Please pick a forum to do your battle in, and stick with it. In general,
the only people who will agree with you are TCS parenting philosophers, so
find one of those fora to post your dogmatic rhetoric on.

------------------------
TCS? Unknown to me. I intend to follow you around and convert you
by the Truth, so get used to the idea.

By continually
restating the same thing without supporting it, you are coming across like a
fundamentalist of some sort.
--Pam

----------------------
So you're so stupid that you think any truth repeated is the same as
any other untruth repeated. Garbage.

Fundamentalism is dog****.
I promote Human Nature, as each of us secretly knows it is but
you will not admit yet.
Steve

J.Pascal wrote:

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in message

Steve Saus wrote:
(...)

Old May 10th 04, 06:17 AM
Red Barnes

"R. Steve Walz" wrote

J.Pascal wrote:

(misc.education groups removed)

------------------------------
Restored.

Troll.
Old May 10th 04, 07:46 PM
R. Steve Walz

Red Barnes wrote:

"R. Steve Walz" wrote

J.Pascal wrote:

(misc.education groups removed)

------------------------------
Restored.

Troll.

-----------
I just put it back after you removed it for some conniving reason.

I didn't put it there, but either YOU did, so why remove it,
or someone else did so they'd receive it in their group, in
which case nobody should bother it.
Steve
Old May 11th 04, 03:23 AM
R. Steve Walz

Steve Saus wrote:

R. Steve Walz wrote:

Because your children will grow up to know you cheated them, and they
will hate and distrust you the last few important years when you can
conceivably do some good for them if you had their ear.

I'd like to honestly, humbly suggest that you've got some unresolved
issues.

-----------------
A common self-deception on the part of folks like you who are
absolutely desperate to deny their brainwashing.

Look, I'm not trolling here, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm seeing a lot
of anger, a lot
of pain in what you're writing,

------------------
You see what you want to think you see
in order to avoid the truth of your own brainwashing
and your shaming abuse as a child.

and I can't guess at what's feeding
that hatred in your heart.

-------------------
Don't you feel silly reciting formulaic nonsense???

That can't be healthy, man.

---------------------
Hating assholes isn't harmful, it's HEALTHY!!
BEING an asshole is harmful.

I'm not even saying you're *wrong* - keep that in mind, too. If you
want to talk about it,
great. If you don't that's fine. But the offer's open. The e-mail
address I post to is real, though I've got
some horrendeous spam filters on it, or you can go to my pages below
and send me mail that way.

--------------------------
Just what I need, another freshman psych major who thinks he is
supposed to "help" and doesn't know yet who REALLY needs it.

[throws a glass into the fire]

To those who aren't as lucky as us!

--------------------------
Relax, I'm fine, this is the way I enjoy myself.
Steve
Old May 11th 04, 04:40 AM
Red Barnes

"R. Steve Walz" wrote

Red Barnes wrote:

"R. Steve Walz" wrote

J.Pascal wrote:

(misc.education groups removed)
------------------------------
Restored.

Troll.

I just put it back after you removed it for some conniving reason.

Does that mean I have MPD, or are you just WRONG?
Old May 11th 04, 05:10 AM
R. Steve Walz

Red Barnes wrote:

"R. Steve Walz" wrote

Red Barnes wrote:

"R. Steve Walz" wrote

J.Pascal wrote:

(misc.education groups removed)
Restored.

Troll.

I just put it back after you removed it for some conniving reason.

Does that mean I have MPD, or are you just WRONG?

Neither.
And you don't arbitrate the options on truth,
you ****-brained little jackoff.
Steve