A 2003 reply to Gastaldo's 1997 letter to MOTHERING...

Old July 25th 03, 05:53 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Default A 2003 reply to Gastaldo's 1997 letter to MOTHERING...

PREGNANT WOMEN: One former midwife - Gloria Lemay - now a "Midwifery
Educator" - is failing to explicitly tell women that MDs are closing birth
canals up to 30%!

It's EASY to allow
your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%!

Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out! BUT - see WARNING,
WARNING, WARNING at the very end of this post.

A 2003 REPLY TO GASTALDO'S 1997 LETTER TO MOTHERING...

Elena wrote to me privately:

I was reading a back issue of MOTHERING and found your letter concerning

damage done by the sacrum during birth. It certainly caught my attention
as in 1992 my son had a brain bleed after birth. After two weeks he came
home while he weaned off phenobarbitol and was given a clean bill of
health...Now, more than 10 years later, he has Tourette Syndrome and I still
have
pain in my sacrum which I fear has caused other problems with my hips
and now my lower back. I know you are no longer practicing Chiropractic
but, I thought maybe I could talk to you at some point and get your
opinion on this matter.

Elena,

An assault and battery was committed against you and your baby if you gave
birth dorsal or semisitting and you were not informed that these positions
close the birth canal up to 30%.

Assault and battery is actionable regardless of any overt disease or
disability generated.

Obviously most people will not sue unless there is overt disease or
disability.

I have advised women suing following birth trauma to ensure that their
attorneys are aware that MDs are senselessly closing birth canals....

See Suing your OB? (also: ACOG Pres. John M. Gibbons, Jr, MD)
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....earthlink.net

I will address your sacral pain possibly being caused at birth below.

First this...

TOURETTE SYNDROME CAUSED BY MDs CLOSING BIRTH CANALS?

Elena, assuming you did give birth semisitting or dorsal, it is possible
that your son's Tourette syndrome was caused by the assault and battery.

Here are six PubMed abstracts relevant to Tourette syndrome possibly being
caused by birth complications (I have added the ***emphases***)...

1. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 1992 Sep;17(3):89-93. PubMed abstract

Tourette's syndrome and neonatal anoxia: further evidence of an organic
etiology.

Burnstein MH.

Hawthorn Center, University of Michigan.

Studies of Tourette's syndrome have indicated that the etiology may be
either primary or secondary. Secondary Tourette's syndrome has been reported
in association with numerous neurological conditions, but there have been no
previous reports of Tourette's syndrome and its relationship to neonatal
anoxia. This report presents the case of a 15-year-old boy with a history of
Tourette's syndrome and neonatal anoxia and examines whether or not there is
a connection between the two. To test the hypothesis that this is the first
documented case of cerebral anoxia at birth followed by Tourette's, a review
of the pertinent literature on secondary Tourette's syndrome is presented.
Evidence of perinatal anoxia, subsequent Tourette's syndrome, a negative
family history, as well as an examination of the statistical chances of
anoxia and Tourette's syndrome co-existing and of all previous reports of
acquired Tourette's syndrome tend to favor an organic ***perinatal insult as
having caused the later development of Tourette's syndrome*** in the case of
this adolescent.

2. Schweiz Rundsch Med Prax. 1997 May 14;86(20):844-9. PubMed abstract

[Gilles de la Tourette's disease. Symptoms, etiopathogenesis and therapeutic
approaches]

[Article in German]

Knecht T.

Psychiatrische Klinik, Munsterlingen.

The Gilles de la Tourette syndrome is a usually chronic neuropsychiatric
disorder with an early childhood onset featuring mainly motor and vocal
tics. It seems that strong genetic factors make a major contribution to the
etiology of this disorder, but there are also clues that epigenetic factors
are involved in the pathogenesis of Tourette's syndrome, such as maternal
stress during pregnancy, ***birth complications*** and hormonal influences.
First in line for adequate treatment are neuroleptic compounds of high
potency, besides, several other psychoactive drugs have shown some
therapeutic effects. Less evident is the efficacy of neurosurgical and
psychotherapeutic interventions.

3. Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi. 1996;98(2):61-88. PubMed abstract

[Psychopathological study on Gilles de la Tourette's Syndrome]

[Article in Japanese]

Suzuki M.

Department of Psychiatry, Teikyo University School of Medicine.

Ten cases of Gilles de la Tourette's Syndrome (GTS) are reported. Average
age of onset of the syndrome was 6.3 years old. Many of them were eldest
children. 40% of them were caused by hereditary factor, and 40% of them had
some ***abnormalities at their birth***...

4. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1994 Jul-Aug;33(6):795-804. Related
Articles, Links

Tourette's syndrome: what are the influences of gender and comorbid
obsessive-compulsive disorder?

Santangelo SL, Pauls DL, Goldstein JM, Faraone SV, Tsuang MT, Leckman JF.

Department of Epidemiology, Harvard Program in Psychiatric Epidemiology and
Biostatistics, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA.

OBJECTIVE: To explore the influence of gender and comorbid
obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) on the phenomenology of Tourette's
syndrome (TS). METHOD: TS proband groups defined by gender and comorbid OCD
status were compared on a variety of sociodemographic variables, clinical
characteristics, and perinatal complications. RESULTS: Compared to females,
males more often onset with rage and had ever experienced any form of simple
tics. Females onset with compulsive tics more often than males. Probands
with comorbid OCD were more likely than those without OCD to onset with
complex tics. Delivery complications, especially forceps deliveries, were
associated with being male and with having OCD. Fetal exposure to relatively
high levels of coffee, cigarettes, or alcohol predicted OCD in TS probands.
Diagnosis of TS occurred at later ages among females than among males. Males
and females displayed different age distributions. CONCLUSIONS: Males and
females tend to experience different kinds of symptoms at onset. However,
the overall experience of TS appears to be similar for both groups.
***Perinatal brain injury is implicated in the etiology of TS in some
boys.*** Early brain injury may cause or exacerbate the development of OCD
in some TS sufferers.

5. J Perinat Med. 1999;27(4):295-302. PubMed abstract

Prenatal and perinatal risk factors for Tourette disorder.

Burd L, Severud R, Klug MG, Kerbeshian J.

Department of Pediatrics and Neuroscience, University of North Dakota School
of Medicine and Health Sciences, USA.

AIMS: To identify pre- and perinatal risk factors for Tourette disorder.
METHODS: Case control study. We matched names of patients who met DSM
criteria for Tourette disorder with their birth certificates. For each case
five controls were selected. The controls were matched by sex, year and
month of birth. RESULTS: Univariate analysis of the 92 cases and the 460
matched controls identified 4 risk factors; one categorical
variable--trimester prenatal care begun and 3 continuous variables--***apgar
score at 5 minutes***, month prenatal began and number of prenatal visits.
Logistic modeling to control for confounding produced a three variable model
(apgar score at 5 minutes (OR = 1.31), number of prenatal visits (OR = .904)
and fathers age (OR = .909). The model parameters we chi 2 = 19.76; df =
3; p .001. CONCLUSIONS: This is an inexpensive methodology to identify
potential risk factors of patients with Tourette disorder and other mental
illness.

6. Int J Psychiatry Med. 1998;28(3):341-51. PubMed abstract

Clinical differences between subjects with familial and non-familial
Tourette's syndrome: a case series.

Parraga HC, Parraga MI, Spinner LR, Kelly DP, Morgan SL.

Fourth Street Clinic, Springfield, Illinois, USA.

OBJECTIVE: As many as 35 percent of Tourette's Syndrome patients do not
acquire this disorder genetically. Since there has been little research
conducted in this area, the purpose of this study was to compare the
clinical differences between two groups of patients with Tourette's Syndrome
(TS), one with family history of TS and one without. METHOD: Using data of
eight previously diagnosed TS patients, the authors made comparisons of
clinical and sociodemographic variables between a group of three patients
with family history of TS and five with no family history. RESULTS: There
were no differences in clinical presentation, current age, age at diagnosis,
gender, and socioeconomic status. There were ***differences in birth
history***, developmental milestones, I.Q., and neurological findings
between patients with family history and no family history of TS.
CONCLUSIONS: Our findings support the need for testing the hypothesis of a
multidetermined origin of TS, a disorder in which hereditary,
neuropsychological, and environmental factors play a role.

END PubMed abstracts pertaining to Tourette Syndrome and birth trauma

Elena, as for the sacral pain which has persisted since birth and which you
fear has caused other problems with my hips and now my lower back...

BIRTH -- SACRAL PAIN -- HIP and LOW BACK PROBLEMS...

If sacroiliac sprain at birth never healed, it is conceivable that
repetitive motion over the years has led to involvement of your hips and
lower back...

Here are some possibly relevant PubMed abstracts...

1. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1993 May;16(4):256-65. PubMed abstract

Temporomandibular disorder associated with sacroiliac sprain.

Gregory TM.

Palmer College of Chiropractic-West, San Jose, CA 95134-1617.

A case of the external derangement-type temporomandibular disorder (TMD),
temporarily relieved following chiropractic sacro-occipital technique (SOT)
treatment, including SOT category II blocking to reduce sacroiliac sprain,
is presented. Symptom exacerbation midway through the course of treatment
followed additional dental work; symptom remission followed additional SOT
treatment. Freedom from symptoms is maintained with a 3-wk treatment
interval. There appears to be a cause-effect relationship between external
derangement-type TMD and sacroiliac sprain. Concurrent, coordinated
chiropractic and dental treatments may improve the success rate of TMD
resolution.

2. Phys Ther. 1986 Aug;66(8):1220-3.

Hamstring muscle strain treated by mobilizing the sacroiliac joint.

Cibulka MT, Rose SJ, Delitto A, Sinacore DR.

The purpose of this study was to compare the effectiveness of two types of
treatment of hamstring muscle strains. Twenty patients with hamstring muscle
strains were assigned randomly to an Experimental Group (n = 10) or a
Control Group (n = 10). Peak torque production of the quadriceps femoris and
hamstring muscles and hamstring muscle length were measured before and after
treatment. The hamstring muscles of the Experimental and Control groups were
treated with moist heat followed by passive stretching. The Experimental
Group also received manipulation of the sacroiliac joint. The change in
hamstring muscle peak torque was significantly greater for the Experimental
Group than for the Control Group (p less than .005). No significant
differences existed between the two groups in either quadriceps femoris
muscle peak torque or hamstring muscle length. The results of this study
suggest a relationship between sacroiliac joint dysfunction and hamstring
muscle strain.

3. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1989 Oct;12(5):390-2. PubMed abstract

Comment in:
J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1990 Feb;13(2):114-5.

'Snapping hip' and sacroiliac sprain: example of a cause-effect
relationship.

Fickel TE.

A case history demonstrating a cause-effect relationship between sacroiliac
sprain and a 'snapping hip' is presented. Periodic iliac manipulation is
shown to eliminate crepitus elicited by simultaneous active or passive
extension of the knee and hip. The significance of this case history as
evidence of the efficacy of iliac manipulation in the management of
sacroiliac syndrome is discussed.

4. Chirurg. 1985 Jul;56(7):461-5. PubMed abstract

[Sacroiliac distorsion or subluxation--a medically established concept?
X-ray diagnosis--bone scintigraphy]

[Article in German]

Reichelt HG.

50 patients with complaints in the region of the sacroiliacal joints and the
hip, but negative radiographs following injury to the pelvis were
investigated by bone scan. Scintigraphic diagnosis always showed involvement
of the pelvis ring other than the apparent fractures. Together with the
clinical symptoms scintigraphic findings are interpreted as sacroiliacal
strain or subluxation. Additional injuries to the acetabulum and to the
lumbosacral joints may be present. The patients' complaints are explained,
the injuries are localized and documented.

5. Physiother Res Int. 2003;8(1):23-35. PubMed abstract

Perceived pain and self-estimated activity limitations in women with back
pain post-partum.

Nilsson-Wikmar L, Pilo C, Pahlback M, Harms-Ringdahl K.

Neurotec Department, Division of Pysiotherapy, Karolinska Institutet,
Stockholm, Sweden.

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: In the general population many daily activities have
an impact on low back pain. The aim of the present study was to describe
pain intensity, localization, type of sensation and perceived activity
limitation in women with different back pain patterns post-partum. METHOD:
In this cross-sectional survey 119 women with back pain persisting for two
months after having given birth were interviewed and examined on average 7.2
months (range 6-10 months) post-partum. Based on pain provocation tests,
four different back pain pattern groups were identified. Pain could be
provoked in the area of the posterior pelvic/sacroiliac joints, in the
lumbar spine, both in the posterior pelvic/sacroiliac joints and in the
lumbar spine, and in none of the above areas. All women rated pain intensity
on a visual analogue scale (VAS, 0-100 mm), and the pain localization and
type of sensation were indicated on a pain drawing. They scored their
activity limitations by use of the Disability Rating Index (DRI), which
covers 12 daily activity items (VAS, 0-100 mm). RESULTS: There was no
significant difference (p = 0.12) in pain intensity (range of medians
19.5-10 mm) between the four groups. However, on average, most areas in the
lower back (median 5 mm (range 2-14 mm)), were marked in the group with pain
in both the posterior pelvic/sacroiliac joints and in the lumbar spine. The
women in the three groups where pain was provoked in the lower area of the
back had significantly (p 0.01) more difficulties with movement-related
daily activities than the group where no pain could be provoked.
CONCLUSIONS: The findings of this descriptive study suggest that back pain
post-partum provoked by clinical tests considerably hampers movement-related
activities. It seems important to pay special attention to the women where
pain could be provoked in the lower back areas. The women should be
identified early in the post-partum period to initiate adequate treatment.

END possibly relevant PubMed abstracts...

"THE WOMEN SHOULD BE IDENTIFIED EARLY IN THE POST-PARTUM PERIOD TO INITIATE
ADEQUATE TREATMENT"
--Nilsson-Wikmar et al. just cited...

Elena, when women who had had children came to me with sacroiliac pain -
regardless how long it had been since they had given birth - I always
wondered if sacroiliac sprain at birth had caused their problem.

I urge you to contact a doctor. I would contact a doctor of CHIROPRACTIC -
but obviously I am biased in the matter. (Don't forget physical
therapists. See Nilsson-Wikmar et al. above. Some physical therapists hold
doctorates and some - not necessarily those with doctorates - are doing
excellent work in regard to manual care of the musculoskeletal system.)

If you have already contacted a health professional, perhaps there is
nothing that can be done. Then again, while still in spinal adjusting
practice, I both "cured" patients that came to me after first visiting
another doctor (MD and DC) and had some of my own patients get "cured" only
after visiting another doctor after I failed to help them.

Thanks for writing,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS PREGNANT WOMEN (I say again): MDs are closing birth canals up to 30%.
It's
EASY to
allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%!

Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out! BUT - see WARNING,
WARNING, WARNING at the very end of this post...

MDs KNOW THEY ARE COMMITTING THE CRIME...

"It is established obstetric teaching that a narrow pelvic outlet
predisposes to a difficult vaginal delivery..."
--Ass-Ärztin Dr. Andrea Froschauer-Frudinger et al. via
[Frudinger et al. Br J Obstet Gynaecol
2002;109(11):1207-12]

PHYSICIANS ARE **LYING** - BABIES BE DAMNED...

Physicians are now saying, "*We* aren't doing it - babies are being damaged
BEFORE birth."

Frances Cowan, PhD and colleagues mention an interesting development:

"Until recently hypoxic-ischaemic events in the perinatal period were
assumed to be the main cause for early neonatal encephalopathy...[but now
antenatal factors are being implicated]..."

[Cowan F, Rutherford M, Groenedaal F, Eken P, Mercuri E, Bydder GM,
Meiners LC, Dubowitz LMS, de Vries LS, Origin and timing of brain lesions in
term infants with neonatal encephalopathy. The Lancet
(Mar1)2003;361:736-42.]

I suspect some MD researchers began FRAUDULENTLY implicating antenatal
events back in the 1980s - back when the public started learning of the
radiographic evidence that squatting opens birth canals up to 30%.

FACT: MDs began overtly LYING when in the early 1990s I began pointing
out that the phrase "squatting opens birth canals up to 30%" -
usefully translated - means MDs have been CLOSING birth canals up to 30%.

Cowan et al. write:

"Our findings show that more than 90% of term infants
with neonatal encephalopathy...without specific syndromes or major
congenital defects, had evidence of perinatally acquired insults...Reasons
for injuries of perinatal onset remain poorly understood."

Even if MDs (and MBs) are NOT causing neonatal encephalopathy by closing
birth canals - they should STOP closing birth canals...

I've often pointed out that the obivous massive MD birth crime (MDs
senselessly closing birth canals) becomes most obvious when one
realizes that MDs are slashing vaginas en masse (euphemism "routine
episiotomy") surgically/FRAUDULENTLY inferring they are doing everything
possible to OPEN birth canals even as they CLOSE birth canals.

See again: Squatting, Nurse Jenn's genital piercing, the Anti-Vagina - and
Kingston General's Human Mobility Centre...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e... earthlink.net

Nurse Jenn *wanted* her vagina modified.

I submit
that most women *don't* want their vaginas modified - at least not at
birth - and they certainly don't want their babies' brains modified by
MD-obstetricians senselessly closing birth canals...

Two Canadian MDs - Erica Eason and Perle Feldman -
recommend
"consumer
pressures" to stop the mass vagina slashing:

"[i]t is clear that episiotomy is a MAJOR contributor to trauma,
pain, and suffering in parturients. Changes in practice can be
effectively introduced through CONSUMER PRESSURES...Routine
episiotomy remains common even in teaching institutions. 'Who
cares about a little cut?' was a frequent comment from
obstetricians...Given the evidence, there should be widespread
abandonment of routine episiotomy "
Erica Eason, MDCM, FRCSC and Perle Feldman, MDCM, FCFP
Obstet Gynecol 2000;95:616-8. Emphasis added.

Whereas Erica and Perle recommend "consumer pressures"...

I recommend "consumer PRESSURIZERS" - THE POLICE...

I just want MD-obstetricians to stop their massive crime. I am in
favor of pardons in advance for MDs. MDs are just academic
prime cuts forced through this culture's most powerful mental meatgrinder -
medical school.

MORE obvious criminal negligence by MDs...

At the University of Hawaii Med School...

"Most first year residents finish the year having performed over 50 cesarean
sections as the primary surgeon."
http://hawaiimed.hawaii.edu/residenc...ms/obgyn5.html

Arrrrggghhh! This is obvious criminal negligence IF - as is the case all
over the world - women are forced into "failure to progress" on their
backs/butts - on their sacra - closing their birth canals up to 30%.

Cephalopelvic disproportion/failure to progress is often the reason given
for cesareans.

Sometimes cesarean section is necessary - but MDs are CAUSING cephalopelvic
disproportion/failure to progress - then "performing" cesarean sections
BEcause of cephalopelvic disproportion/failure to progress...

MDs are also forcing uteri to push with birth canals closed up to 30% - then
chemically whipping uteri to push VIOLENTLY - with oxytocin/Cytotec - with
birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

No wonder women beg for epidurals!

MDs also pull on babies' heads with their hands in most vaginal births -
with birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

In some institutions - in 26% of births (!) - MDs reach INSIDE the vagina -
with forceps/vacuum extractors - and pull babies out by their skulls -
through birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

Sometimes MDs pull so hard they rip spinal nerves out of tiny spinal cords!

Incredibly, MDs have blamed their bizarre birth-canal-closing behavior on
the West's loss of a fundamental human rest posture!

See Gardosi et al.'s 1989 Lancet "controlled trial of squatting" - where
nobody squatted...

See also: Chiro orthopedists and global UNREST - and babies...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e... arthlink.net

"[N]early 25% of all back pain patients were dissatisfied with their last
visit to the chiropractor..."
--Environics survey as reported by Dynamic Chiropractic
http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/21/17/05.html

Perhaps chiropractors need to focus on PREVENTION...

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

I was censored from posting to an international obstetrician email list
(OBGYN-L) after posting to that list the uncensored version of my 1997
letter to MOTHERING
http://forums.obgyn.net/ob-gyn-l/OBGYNL.9707/0128.html
http://forums.obgyn.net/ob-gyn-l/OBGYNL.9707/0153.html

My 1997 letter to MOTHERING was partly censored by MOTHERING
Editor/Publisher Peggy O'Mara who took out my reference to the fact that MDs
themselves indirectly admit that closing the birth canal FAR LESS than 30%
can KILL...

See Ms. Powell forgot to address Mothering censorship regarding fetal
deaths...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...40gte1.gte.net

Also noteworthy: My 1997 letter to MOTHERING contained an error (which
MOTHERING Editor/Publisher O'Mara has yet to allow me to correct in the
pages of MOTHERING): I failed to note that McRoberts maneuver as it is
commonly performed ("proper" McRoberts) CLOSES the birth canal.

IMPROPER McRoberts maneuver - mother rolled offer her sacrum - does however
allow the birth canal to open maximally.

See IMPROPER McRoberts can save tiny lives and tiny limbs...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....earthlink.net

Like "Midwifery Educator" Gloria Lemay mentioned above, MOTHERING
Editor/Publisher O'Mara is "napping" instead explicitly exposing obvious
obstetric crime.

VARIOUS women prominent in birth education are failing to explicitly expose
the obvious obstetric crime.

See for example: Dear Mothering, Dear ICAN, Dear God...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...-snr1.gtei.net

And see: SILENTLY KNIFED: The crooked pretense of Nancy Wainer (formerly
Cohen)
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....earthlink.net

(I received a letter not long ago from an attorney who told me not to send
anything to ICAN members. Did ICAN members actually authorize ICAN to
censor me from sending materials to them? "Midwifery Educator" Gloria Lemay
might want to look into this as she is an ICAN advisor. Why would ICAN -
and Gloria - fail to explicitly expose the obvious obstetric crime? It's
baffling...)

I will write to MOTHERING Editor/Publisher O'Mara (again) via
.

Maybe if MOTHERS wrote to Ms. O'Mara, she would finally explain why she
censored my reference to the fact that MDs themselves indirectly admit that
closing the birth canal FAR LESS than 30% can KILL...

Mothers whose children are suffering neurolgic diseases might be especially
interested in knowing why MOTHERING downplayed my message.

PREGNANT WOMEN! It's EASY to open your birth canal an "extra" up to
30%!

Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out! PLEASE talk to your MD
about this NOW...

WARNING
WARNING
WARNING
WARNING: Some MDs will let women "try" side-lying and
other
"alternative" delivery positions - but they will move women back to
semisitting -
close their birth canals (!) at
the very worst possible moment (as the baby is coming out)...

See GASTALDO'S ABSTRACT - my invited poster presentation at a recent
obstetric congress co-sponsored by the American College of Obstetricians and
Gynecologists/ACOG. (NOTE: GASTALDO'S ABSTRACT is on the web: Search
"GASTALDO'S ABSTRACT
Paciornik"...)

Thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

Again, thanks for reading, everyone,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

***This post will be archived for global access within 24 hours. Search
http://groups.google.com for "A 2003 reply to Gastaldo's 1997 letter to
MOTHERING...