Retroactive Child Support Modification

Old July 26th 07, 07:55 AM posted to alt.child-support
Soprano

Default Retroactive Child Support Modification

teachrmama wrote:
"Soprano" wrote in message
Gini wrote:
"stern" wrote
Has anyone heard of this? My court date is this week and we are
asking for modifed payments retroactive to Jan. 06.
==
Support is generally modified retroactively to the date of filing.

What?

If mom files a petition in court saying "Dad got a new job amd is making
$500 more per month than he was, so my child deserves a slice of that," a
court date is scheduled--sometimes several months later. The judge looks at
the proof and says "Oh, my. You're right--dad must pay another $100 per
month in child support." And the order begins the day mom filed in
court--not the date of the hearing. So, if the hearing was put off for 6
months, dad will already be $600 behind in child support. Itwould be nice
if dad's could get retroactive downward modifications of child support to
the date they file, but that doesn't necessarily always happen.

That sucks.
Old July 26th 07, 07:56 AM posted to alt.child-support
Soprano

teachrmama wrote:
"Soprano" wrote in message
Gini wrote:
"stern" wrote
Relayer wrote:
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
It is supposed to be retro to when you filed. I would say your ex's
girlfriend has more "balls" than the judge.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. We are also asking for her to pay 50% of my legal fees for
all the runarounds. That is a stretch.
==
You should have requested 100%

Legal fees for child support?

Oh, Atlanta, you really are unfamiliar with this wonderful system, aren't
you? Lawyers get rich off of family law cases. It is sad and sick--but it
is the way things are done.

My lawyer was mostly pro-bono when I filed for divorce. I have a family
lawyer. I just put child support on reserve while I meditated on it for
a year.
Old July 26th 07, 08:08 AM posted to alt.child-support
teachrmama

"Soprano" wrote in message
teachrmama wrote:
"Soprano" wrote in message
Gini wrote:
[...]

That would describe it well.

Old July 26th 07, 08:09 AM posted to alt.child-support
teachrmama

"Soprano" wrote in message
teachrmama wrote:
"Soprano" wrote in message
Gini wrote:
"stern" wrote
Relayer wrote:
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
It is supposed to be retro to when you filed. I would say your ex's
girlfriend has more "balls" than the judge.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. We are also asking for her to pay 50% of my legal fees for
all the runarounds. That is a stretch.
==
You should have requested 100%

Legal fees for child support?

Oh, Atlanta, you really are unfamiliar with this wonderful system, aren't
you? Lawyers get rich off of family law cases. It is sad and sick--but
it is the way things are done.

My lawyer was mostly pro-bono when I filed for divorce. I have a family
lawyer. I just put child support on reserve while I meditated on it for a
year.

Most lawyers aren't pro bono. Most charge quite hefty fees. sigh

Old July 26th 07, 05:48 PM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"teachrmama" wrote in

That would describe it well.

No $42,000 retro-active now sitting at $64,000 describes it well!