keeping cat out of crib

Old July 11th 05, 01:47 PM

Default keeping cat out of crib

We got a cat this weekend and she is very friendly...maybe a little too
friendly. She jumped into my 1.5 year old DD's crib at five this
morning and scared her half to death. I'm wondering if anyone else has
experienced this and what they did to keep the cat out of the crib. I
don't really want to lock the cat in the basement at night, although it
might come to that. I can't close DD's door right now because we don't
have central air and her door has to be open so her room doesn't
overheat. I'm not getting much sleep because I'm so worried about the
cat being in DD's room.
Any suggestions?

Old July 11th 05, 01:59 PM
Donna Metler

wrote in message
oups.com...
We got a cat this weekend and she is very friendly...maybe a little too
friendly. She jumped into my 1.5 year old DD's crib at five this
morning and scared her half to death. I'm wondering if anyone else has
experienced this and what they did to keep the cat out of the crib. I
don't really want to lock the cat in the basement at night, although it
might come to that. I can't close DD's door right now because we don't
have central air and her door has to be open so her room doesn't
overheat. I'm not getting much sleep because I'm so worried about the
cat being in DD's room.
Any suggestions?

I believe you can get netting covers for the crib. It would make it a real
pain getting DD in and out, though.

Another possibility is training the cat, although that may take some time.
If you post to rec.pets.cats.health.behavior (it may be health&behavior),
they'll have some suggestions for you on this.

Old July 11th 05, 02:18 PM
Nikki

We got a cat this weekend and she is very friendly...maybe a little
too friendly. She jumped into my 1.5 year old DD's crib at five this
morning and scared her half to death. I'm wondering if anyone else
has experienced this and what they did to keep the cat out of the
crib. I don't really want to lock the cat in the basement at night,
although it might come to that. I can't close DD's door right now
because we don't have central air and her door has to be open so her
room doesn't overheat. I'm not getting much sleep because I'm so
worried about the cat being in DD's room.
Any suggestions?

A couple of ideas to try:

A cheap screen door on the babies bedroom. A crib tent might work. I've
never actually seen one so I don't know what would happen if a cat jumped on
one.

When the baby isn't in the crib put something inside the cat won't like.
Tin foil, contact paper sticky side up, that sort of thing.

Have a spray bottle with a weak solution of vinigar and water handy. A mist
of that near the cat and they vacate rather fast. It won't hurt the baby if
it gets on the bedding either. You have to catch the cat in the act though.

I've never tried anything like this but you could try getting a rather big
peice of contact paper, sticky side up, and just sliding it in front of the
door when you leave at night. Big enough the cat can't jump over it. You
can easily move it but I can't imagine a cat would want to walk over it to
get in. That was going to be my next move for the kitchen counter but my
cat decided to quit getting up there before that. ;-)

--
Nikki

Old July 11th 05, 03:12 PM
Sue

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
I believe you can get netting covers for the crib. It would make it a real
pain getting DD in and out, though.

Not really. Just unzip the mesh and get baby out. My DD3 slept with a crib
tent for probably about 1 1/2 years. I found it to be very useful. However,
I am surprised that the cat is getting in the crib.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old July 11th 05, 03:39 PM
bizby40

wrote in message
oups.com...
We got a cat this weekend and she is very friendly...maybe a little too
friendly. She jumped into my 1.5 year old DD's crib at five this
morning and scared her half to death. I'm wondering if anyone else has
experienced this and what they did to keep the cat out of the crib. I
don't really want to lock the cat in the basement at night, although it
might come to that. I can't close DD's door right now because we don't
have central air and her door has to be open so her room doesn't
overheat. I'm not getting much sleep because I'm so worried about the
cat being in DD's room.
Any suggestions?

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Cat's do like
to explore, but having explored the crib, may not bother to go
back there. And DD will get used to it if the cat keeps doing
it.

Bizby

Old July 11th 05, 03:53 PM
Donna Metler

"Sue" wrote in message
"Donna Metler" wrote in message
I believe you can get netting covers for the crib. It would make it a

real
pain getting DD in and out, though.

Not really. Just unzip the mesh and get baby out. My DD3 slept with a crib
tent for probably about 1 1/2 years. I found it to be very useful.

However,
I am surprised that the cat is getting in the crib.

I kind of am, too. My cats all visited the crib when it was first set up,
but they won't go anywhere NEAR the baby unless DH or I are right there
too-and even then, they "Cat scan" from a distance. I'm not sure Alli's even
managed to touch one yet.

It may be that the cat has now visited the crib, and sees no desire to do
THAT again-especially with that grabby, noisy thing in there!

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old July 11th 05, 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the tips so far. I'm going to try the contact paper and
maybe a screen door.
It does seem surprising that the cat went in the crib, but as I said
this is a very friendly cat. My guess is that she was looking for
company. She is not the least bit afraid of DD, she actually follows
her around during the day. I guess I'm just worried that the cat is
going to try to sleep on her face or something, although my husband and
I both think that DD is old enough to wake up, push off the cat and
scream before she gets suffocated. What do you think?