Obstetric roof on fire! (The problem and Dr. Sarah...)

Old October 10th 04, 12:33 AM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Obstetric roof on fire! (The problem and Dr. Sarah...)

OB ROOF ON FIRE! Mass child abuse by MDs and MBs. I'll cc Oregon Atty
Gen'l Hardy Meyers and Disneyland DA Tony Rackauckas and others in law
enforcement.

(As usual I am in favor of pardons in advance for MD and MBs - see the end
of this post for the reason.)

PREGNANT WOMEN: OBs are knowingly closing birth canals up to 30% and it is
easy for you to allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%. Just
roll onto your side as you push your baby out - talk to your OB today.

"I believe I owe my two easy side-lying deliveries to Todd's posts...There
are people constantly joining this newsgroup who have not seen the
information, hence why he repeats himself."
--Amy on misc.kids.pregnancy

To save time... read my short NOTE TO DR. SARAH VAUGHAN at the end of this
post...

Hitchhiking on Amy's comment above...

I take the word NEWSgroup to mean just that.

I believe a birth canal senselessly closed up to 30% is BAD news - because
it can cause harm to helpless persons - babies (and their laboring mothers).

Writing this news can be a drain on me - and reading it can be a drain on
others...

1. In regard to ME... With OBs closing birth canals up to 30% thousands of
times per day, a protest post (or two - or more) per day is not that big a
drain - esp. with the copy & paste function, as you allude.

2. In regard to OTHERS... Yes, the beauty of usenet newsgroups is that
people can killfile before or after taking anything from a given poster -
including me.

Amy suggested that I post daily for the benefit of new people in
misc.kids.pregnancy - "people constantly joining"...

Yep - but I ALSO post daily for the people to whom I address my Open
Letters - the people who are usually seeing this news for the first time.

KEY POINT: Just the fact that these people are getting this news is news
worth recording in the Google usenet archive.

Amy, I am glad if my posts helped at all in your births.

If your public statement to that effect helps another woman to give her baby
the "extra" up to 30% - well - thanks.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS1 I threw in a few extra caps for Dr. Sarah's benefit. My response to
her is below.

PS2 Amy, LOL about copy & paste and RL...If I could, I would copy & paste
your post and send it to my mom!

THANKS AMY!

"Amy" wrote in message
While the barrage of posts can at times be seen as kooky and annoying,
repeating the same message over and over does get you heard. I believe I
owe
my two easy side-lying deliveries to Todd's posts, and I also believe a
bunch of long annoying posts was worth my delivering easily and coming
through it all with a completely intact body.
There are people constantly joining this newsgroup who have not seen the
information, hence why he repeats himself. Once you've taken what you want
from his posts, you can always use your kill-file.

todd - do you think about anything else other than the 30% and cord
clamping!

Yes, he also protests against unnecessary episiotomy & circumcision.

how do you get anyting done in yoru RL?!!!

Hmmm....I think it's called a copy & paste function ;-)

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

DR. SARAH VAUGAN quoted Mamma Mia who wrote:

todd - do you think about anything else other than the 30% and cord
clamping! how do you get anyting done in yoru RL?!!!

Dr. Sarah excerpted my response to Mamma Mia...

Remember, I am a doctor of chiropractic. It is every chiro's job to
save tiny lives and tiny limbs and PREVENT that which chiro's charge to
treat - or that's the way it is supposed to work.

I am finding out - years later - that in real life/RL it doesn't work
that way.

I am a slow learner.

It has taken a long time - but it is finally dawning on me that I may
not be able - in my lifetime - to stop OBs from closing birth canals
and gruesomely (sometimes fatally) manipulating most babies' spines.

Stated from the perspective of preventing the putative chiropractic
lesion...

It may not be possible - in my lifetime - to PREVENT more putative
vertebral subluxations than DCs will ever be able to adjust by hand.

I may have grossly misjudged how real life works - sad but true.

DR. SARAH VAUGHAN WROTE IN RESPONSE...

Todd, I think your real problem is that you're grossly misjudging what
sort of approach is likely to get people to listen to you.

NOTE TO DR. SARAH VAUGHAN: I think you're grossly misjudging the problem.
It's the OBs' problem - and they transfer it to babies - sometimes fatally
so. They prefer to harm babies rather than their reputations. Your
profession is LYING to cover-up a sometimes fatal obstetric felony. When
the "crazy" doctor of chiropractic runs in shouting that the obstetric roof
is on fire and BABIES are burning - you go outside and check - and HELP PUT
OUT THE FIRE. You DON'T tell him he had better shout fire "nice" or he
won't be listened to - or rather - you don't do that unless you either are a
cultural authority who can engage in such poppycock - or you are a supporter
of such poppycock. Both of these poppycockers exist on this newsgroup - you
are in the former category: MDs and MBs are cultural authorities who can
commit obvious sometimes fatal felonies with impunity. THAT is the problem.

The way you
rant on about things makes you come across as a total quack.

The way MDs and MBs routinely close birth canals means they ARE quacks. : )

Unprosecuted felons, actually.

Which is
sad, because I actually agree with the whole idea of getting women off
their backs to give birth.

I would prefer that you say that you actually agree with the whole idea of
stopping OBs from closing birth canals.

What I don't agree with is the idea that
posting the same rant over and over to total strangers, complete with
CAPITAL LETTERS and exclamation marks, gets them to listen to you. What
usually happens is that they dismiss you as a kook.

LOL! MY "RANT" HAS BEEN IN THE MEDICAL LITERATURE FOR YEARS!

Remember that time when you looked up all my details on the Internet and
found out where I worked (and

Your work is MEDICAL - it entails PREVENTION explicitly - according to the
Tendring PCT verbiage. Regardless of verbiage - how bizarre that you are
telling me I need to be "nice" when I report daily on the massive felony
your fellow MDs and MBs are committing!

Your profession has been LYING to cover-up routine closure of the birth
canal - and KEEPING birth canals closed when babies get stuck...

THAT is why when I found out where you worked I emailed as many people who I
thought could DO something.

Babies are being harmed and killed by this preposterous ongoing obstetric
felony.

I'd _still_ love to know how you did that
- I know it's all on there somewhere, but just how long did it take you
to find my name on that website, fer cryin' out loud? When I try typing
my name into Google, all I get is pages and pages about the jazz
singer!)

Sarah, if a search is taking time - I take that as a sign from the Cosmos
that I should be doing something else. It really was rather quick.

and e-mailed everyone there who sounded as if they were even
vaguely in a position of authority to ask them whether I was protesting
the behaviour of OBs in this regard?

YES. Key word AUTHORITY. Why are authorities ignoring the obvious
obstetric felony?

It didn't even occur to you - did
it? - that this sort of thing is verging on stalking, and

Sarah, I am sorry if you were on the verge of fearing a negative visit from
me. I have no such intent. My ONLY intent is to point out that MEDICAL
AUTHORITIES (you for example) should be acting IMMEDIATELY to stop OBs from
closing birth canals. Simple, no?

that people
who read it are just going to dismiss you as a total kook without even
reading what you have to say.

The medical profession is concealing a massive obstetric felony.

I suppose medical doctors WISH that people would "dismiss me as a total kook
without even reading..."

But that's not how it's playing out.

And, as for why I don't barge into the local maternity ward, banner in
hand, protesting the CLOSING OF BIRTH CANALS BY UP TO 30% -

Nice touch - the banner. LOL!

Why not walk in quietly and quietly talk to the OBs and midwives?

Have you written a letter to any primary care trust/PCT saying you think I
have the biomechanics right - it does appear that OBs and midwives are
closing birth canals up to 30% - and that it's really easy for OBs and
midwives to stop this and allow mothers and babies to have the "extra" up to
30%?

it's not
because I disagree with your cause, but because nobody particularly
listens to people who do that.

Sarah - a FELONY is occuring. You are a medical doctor. People (police)
listen to medical doctors - juries listen to medical doctors.

WOMEN listen to medical doctors. (BTW, thanks for saying you don't barge
with a banner because you "don't disagree" - but isn't that a little tepid
given that tiny BRAINS are on the line - not to mention vaginas and
abdomens?)

The way to go about something like that
is to get yourself in a situation where people _might_ listen to you,

Ummmm... Sarah - you are a medical doctor - why not write The Lancet. Just
tell Dick Horton that you THINK I might have the biomechanics right - that
you THINK I might be right about American OBs demonstrating that massive
amounts of pelvic outlet diameter are denied - then saying that diameters
DON'T CHANGE - then lying some more when Ohlsen pointed that out - then
lying some more (when I pointed out that they lied some more after Ohlsen
pointed out their lie). (Phew)

then find out how people actually _are_ doing things (did it even
fleetingly occur to you that maybe the midwives in my area aren't
actually doing anything of the sort and _do_ try to get women off their
backs during second stage? I don't know, and neither do you),

Sarah, OBs and midwives have put it in WRITING that they are closing birth
canals - and KEEPING birth canals closed when babies get stuck...

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

"[i]t is not uncommon to proceed to a[n]...instrumental delivery without
even trying different positions that might open the birth canal more."

I replied: It's much worse than that...

Even if OBs and CNMwives try alternative delivery positions that open the
birth canal - some move the woman back to semisitting/dorsal/close her birth
canal for the actual delivery even if instrumental delivery is not
required...

If instrumental delivery *is* required, it is the OB NORM to pull with hands
and instruments (forceps, vacuums) with the birth canal closed up to 30%.

I warned the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada
(SOGC) that semisitting closes the birth canal up to 30% - but SOGC still
promotes semisitting/closing the birth canal...

"The traditional lithotomy position commonly used
in obstetric units can certainly be modified to obtain a
semi-sitting posture and hence achieve the benefit
derived from the upright position..."
SOGC CLINICAL PRACTICE GUIDELINES
POLICY STATEMENT No. 71, December 1998
http://www.sogc.org/SOGCnet/sogc_doc...lthybegeng.pdf

Worse...

SOGC still says (same document): "[T]he traditional lithotomy
position...should...be reserved for cases of operative delivery
[vacuum/forceps]."

Arrgghhhh! Traditional lithotomy - like semi-sitting/semi-recumbency -
CLOSES THE BIRTH CANAL!

You don't pull on the baby's head with the birth canal closed!

In the 90s, Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney ignored my pleas and promoted
semisittinig delivery - closing the birth canal...

CNMwifery Prof. Varney STILL writes in her 2004 edition:

"The usual positions in a hospital delivery room are lithotomy or dorsal.
Midwives believe that in neither of these positions does the woman have to
be flat on her back; rather, they encourage a semisitting, or 'back up' and
'legs down,' modification of these positions." (!)
[Varney H. Varney's Midwifery. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett. 4th ed.
2004:839]

CNMwife Helen's Fig. 28-12 shows a CNMwife "helping" a woman into
semisitting!

Also on p. 839: "In the event of...shoulder dystocia...the woman should be
in a lithotomy position..."

This is criminal OB and CNMwife behavior.

MY GUESS: OBs and CNMwives *must* keep recommending closing birth canals
because stopping would be tantamount to admitting MASSIVE obvious criminal
negligence that sometimes escalates to criminally negligent homicide.

This is why I favor pardons in advance for MDs. MDs are just academic prime
cuts forced through this culture's most powerful mental meatgrinder.

CNMwives are still mostly obedient handmaidens.

See Criminal medical CAM at Hawai'i's John A Burns School of Medicine
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2256

DR. SARAH VAUGHAN CONCLUDED...

and
_then_ venture the suggestion that there might be a better way to do
things. This doesn't guarantee you'll get listened to, but it's a
considerably better bet.

Sarah, I shall never forget evidence-based-medicine guru Iain (now Sir Iain)
Chalmers, MD telling me in effect that we shouldn't tell women that OBs are
lying and closing birth canals - until there are randomised controlled
trials showing benefit...

It was gross abuse of science by Sir Iain - babies be damned - OB
reputations benefit - MD cultural authority remains intact.

Here is Carol Sakala, PhD, MSPH, Director of Programs, Maternity Center
Association essentially echoing Sir Iain's "scientific"
insanity-babies-be-damned...

Todd's comments interspersed #####

Dear Todd,

Thank you for your interest in the work of the Maternity Center Association
and the content of our 2004 booklet, What Every Pregnant Woman Needs to Know
About Cesarean Section (available at
http://www.maternitywise.org/cesareanbooklet/).

At the Maternity Center Association, we have great regard for appropriate
caregiver support of physiologic labor.

##### I disagree and offer a few examples

##### You are failing to tell women that OBs demonstrated early last century
massive change in AP pelvic outlet diameter; but then changed to saying that
obstetric diameters don't change.

##### You are also failing to tell women that when informed (by Ohlsen) of
radiographic evidence that pelvic diameters DO change, OBs shifted to saying
(erroneously) that dorsal widens.

##### And when OBs were informed that this too was false (by me) - they
re-published their dorsal widens falsehood - but included (as I requested)
the correct biomechanics.

###### Which is the lie? Why not tell women the truth - explicit-like?
It's only their babies' brains on the line...

However, our formal recommendations
require more than plausibility, logic, and informal observation. Those
approaches have led us down the wrong path in maternity care many times in
the past.

At present, the best formal sorting of research on these matters is the
Cochrane Review entitled "Position for Women During Second Stage of Labour."
Currently, all variations on "upright" position are folded in together in
this systematic review. It is certainly plausible that future research will
discriminate among different upright positions and lend support to your
concerns. I hope that you and others will consider undertaking needed
research to help clarify these matters.

Please post this message to your discussion group to clarify our position
for others as well.

Best wishes,
Carol

Carol Sakala, PhD, MSPH
Director of Programs
Maternity Center Association

MDs are lying and babies are dying unexplained deaths - and the Maternity
Center Association PhD is falling back on Sir Iain's "science."

BTW, Carol Sakala, PhD of the Maternity Center Association was responding to
my post:

Big babies/Bizarre acts of omission (and a 1957 x-ray accident)

Carol mentioned "discriminating among different upright positions"...

Jason Gardosi, MD of Britain conducted a "randomised controlled trial of
squatting" - where nobody squatted. (!)

Now THAT was science! LOL!

Interesting factoid: In a separate paper, Jason stated the grisly
birth-canal-closing biomechanics of semisitting - but said he had to use
semisitting because MIDWIVES insisted - LOL!

MDs and MBs anti-scientifically, anti-competitively drove women into
hospitals - and Gardosi blamed 'em for a bad habit they picked up! LOL!

Why do MDs and MBs do such things?

It's sort of like the reason dogs lick their testicles - because they CAN.

If only the MD/MB lies were as pleasurable. : )

(Well, I guess the MD/MB lies *are* pleasurable in a sense - they keep the
money flowing into medical coffers.)

I say again Sarah...

NOTE TO DR. SARAH VAUGHAN:

[...]

Maternity Center Association has a PhD poppycocker - Carol Sakala - quoted
above.

END NOTE TO DR. SARAH VAUGHAN.

As noted above, I am in favor of pardons in advance for MDs and MBs. MDs
and MBs are just academic prime cuts forced through this culture's most
powerful mental meatgrinder. As naive med students they are TRAINED to
commit the obvious felony.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

This post will be archived for global access within 24 hours in the Google
usenet archive. Search
http://groups.google.com for "Obstetric roof on
fire! (The problem and Dr. Sarah...)"

Old October 21st 04, 11:38 PM
Sarah Vaughan

In message t, Todd
Gastaldo writes
DR. SARAH VAUGHAN WROTE IN RESPONSE...

Todd, I think your real problem is that you're grossly misjudging what
sort of approach is likely to get people to listen to you.

NOTE TO DR. SARAH VAUGHAN: I think you're grossly misjudging the
problem. It's the OBs' problem - and they transfer it to babies -
sometimes fatally so. They prefer to harm babies rather than their
reputations. Your profession is LYING to cover-up a sometimes fatal
obstetric felony. When the "crazy" doctor of chiropractic runs in
shouting that the obstetric roof is on fire and BABIES are burning -
you go outside and check - and HELP PUT OUT THE FIRE. You DON'T tell
him he had better shout fire "nice" or he won't be listened to - or
rather - you don't do that unless you either are a cultural authority
who can engage in such poppycock - or you are a supporter of such poppycock.

However, whether you like it or not, people just don't give you the same
sort of leeway for complaining about the wrongs of the world as they do
for letting them know the roof's on fire.

Both of these poppycockers exist on this newsgroup - you are in the
former category: MDs and MBs are cultural authorities who can commit
obvious sometimes fatal felonies with impunity. THAT is the problem.

That doesn't alter the fact - and it is a fact - that, if you want
people to listen to your views on how it should be solved, you have to
put them across in a way that's both easy to follow and
rational-sounding.

[...]
What I don't agree with is the idea that
posting the same rant over and over to total strangers, complete with
CAPITAL LETTERS and exclamation marks, gets them to listen to you. What
usually happens is that they dismiss you as a kook.

LOL! MY "RANT" HAS BEEN IN THE MEDICAL LITERATURE FOR YEARS!

I suspect that it's much better phrased there than it is here.

Remember that time when you looked up all my details on the Internet and
found out where I worked (and

[...]
I'd _still_ love to know how you did that
- I know it's all on there somewhere, but just how long did it take you
to find my name on that website, fer cryin' out loud? When I try typing
my name into Google, all I get is pages and pages about the jazz
singer!)

Sarah, if a search is taking time - I take that as a sign from the
Cosmos that I should be doing something else. It really was rather
quick.

OK, I'm curious. How _did_ you do it?

and e-mailed everyone there who sounded as if they were even
vaguely in a position of authority to ask them whether I was protesting
the behaviour of OBs in this regard?

YES. Key word AUTHORITY. Why are authorities ignoring the obvious
obstetric felony?

Because getting long, rambling posts from odd-sounding complete
strangers on a subject you know nothing about isn't the best way of
becoming convinced that you do need to learn something about the
subject, let alone do anything about it.

It didn't even occur to you - did
it? - that this sort of thing is verging on stalking, and

Sarah, I am sorry if you were on the verge of fearing a negative visit
from me. I have no such intent.

Oh, I wasn't worried (though DH was, somewhat) - I figure you're
harmless, and in any case you're on another continent, which would
somewhat cramp your style even if you did want to start taking the
stalking to another level. But it was, well, odd.

I suppose medical doctors WISH that people would "dismiss me as a total
kook without even reading..."

I don't think they wish anything at all on the subject, because I think
_they_ dismiss you as a total kook, etc., and then don't think about it
further. That's my point.

[...]
Have you written a letter to any primary care trust/PCT saying you
think I have the biomechanics right - it does appear that OBs and
midwives are closing birth canals up to 30% - and that it's really easy
for OBs and midwives to stop this and allow mothers and babies to have
the "extra" up to 30%?

No. For one thing, I have no idea whether you have the biomechanics
right or not - sounds reasonable, but it's not my field. For another, I
have no idea what local practice is.

it's not
because I disagree with your cause, but because nobody particularly
listens to people who do that.

Sarah - a FELONY is occuring. You are a medical doctor. People
(police) listen to medical doctors - juries listen to medical doctors.

However much you might want this to be against the law, it isn't. What
are the police meant to do if I do go to them about this?

[...]
The way to go about something like that
is to get yourself in a situation where people _might_ listen to you,

Ummmm... Sarah - you are a medical doctor - why not write The Lancet.

Y'know, Todd, the whole 'people listen to medical doctors' thing doesn't
work nearly as well _with_ medical doctors. ;-) To the readers of the
Lancet, I'm a GP who doesn't work in antenatal care and has no
particular expertise in the specialty. There isn't actually any reason
why they should listen to me. Also, letters to medical journals are
generally on the topic of articles that have been printed there.

[...]
then find out how people actually _are_ doing things (did it even
fleetingly occur to you that maybe the midwives in my area aren't
actually doing anything of the sort and _do_ try to get women off their
backs during second stage? I don't know, and neither do you),

Sarah, OBs and midwives have put it in WRITING that they are closing
birth canals - and KEEPING birth canals closed when babies get stuck...

And these are practitioners in the Colchester/Clacton area, are they?

[...]
[...]

And you know what, Todd? She's right. ;-)

All the best,

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley