Milk and toddlers

Old January 7th 04, 09:30 PM
Shelley W.

Default Milk and toddlers

I remember reading that when, at a year, you switch from formula to
cow's milk, whole milk is recommended and that is what I've been
giving him. At what age can they go to a lesser fat milk. DS turns 2
very shortly, should he stay on whole milk or can he switch to 2%
which my husband drinks, or skim which I drink.

Thanks for any thoughts

Shelley
Mom to Jacob (2 in 9 days)
Old January 7th 04, 09:36 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Shelley W. wrote:

I remember reading that when, at a year, you switch from formula to
cow's milk, whole milk is recommended and that is what I've been
giving him. At what age can they go to a lesser fat milk. DS turns 2
very shortly, should he stay on whole milk or can he switch to 2%
which my husband drinks, or skim which I drink.

You can switch to 2% or 1% but I would avoid the skim. Little kids
still need some of the fat for brain development. Another thing you
might want to switch to are Omega-3 eggs. They can provide some fatty
acids that you wouldn't normally get unless you consume fish.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old January 7th 04, 09:39 PM
jojo

"Shelley W." wrote in message
om...
I remember reading that when, at a year, you switch from formula to
cow's milk, whole milk is recommended and that is what I've been
giving him. At what age can they go to a lesser fat milk. DS turns 2
very shortly, should he stay on whole milk or can he switch to 2%
which my husband drinks, or skim which I drink.

Thanks for any thoughts

Shelley
Mom to Jacob (2 in 9 days)

my Pedi says 2%. If your child is very slim, whole will be fine.
I'll add the next question.
If they are drinking soy, where do they get the all important milk fat???
jo

Old January 7th 04, 09:44 PM
Sophie

"Shelley W." wrote in message
om...
I remember reading that when, at a year, you switch from formula to
cow's milk, whole milk is recommended and that is what I've been
giving him. At what age can they go to a lesser fat milk. DS turns 2
very shortly, should he stay on whole milk or can he switch to 2%
which my husband drinks, or skim which I drink.

Thanks for any thoughts

Shelley
Mom to Jacob (2 in 9 days)

You make the switch at age 2. However my 1st and 3rd children were/are
skinny so they stayed on Vitamin D (full milk) for a while.

Old January 7th 04, 09:58 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Milk fat isn't important; it's FAT that's important. Whole milk is just
a convenient source of fat. But your kids can get fat in hot dogs,
hamburgers, olive oil, fattier fish, and so forth. And after the age of
2 kids should be getting used to less fat in their diets, and
particularly less animal fats. (Vegetable-based fats can probably stay
pretty unrestricted.)

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old January 7th 04, 11:33 PM
Ericka Kammerer

jojo wrote:

my Pedi says 2%. If your child is very slim, whole will be fine.
I'll add the next question.
If they are drinking soy, where do they get the all important milk fat???

They don't need specifically milk fat--any fat will
do. The current recommendation as far as I know is that
fats should be unrestricted until age two, and after that
the same rules apply as with adults.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 8th 04, 05:02 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
DeliciousTruffles wrote:
Shelley W. wrote:

I remember reading that when, at a year, you switch from formula to
cow's milk, whole milk is recommended and that is what I've been
giving him. At what age can they go to a lesser fat milk. DS turns 2
very shortly, should he stay on whole milk or can he switch to 2%
which my husband drinks, or skim which I drink.

You can switch to 2% or 1% but I would avoid the skim. Little kids
still need some of the fat for brain development. Another thing you
might want to switch to are Omega-3 eggs. They can provide some fatty
acids that you wouldn't normally get unless you consume fish.

How do they get Omega-3's into eggs? I'm interested in this because
I'm allergic to fish...

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)
Check out the new TCP/IP Guide! http://www.tcpipguide.com
Old January 8th 04, 05:17 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Robyn Kozierok wrote:

How do they get Omega-3's into eggs? I'm interested in this because
I'm allergic to fish...

They feed the hens flaxseed.

--
Brigitte aa #2145