Another C-section question...

Old January 2nd 09, 12:38 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

Default Another C-section question...

I do still have tons of time for this, but I'm not sure which way I should
go.
First off, I do NOT agree with the elective C-sections at all...
But, with that said...

With my first, I had an emergency section. It was for a footling breech at,
really, the last possible second. Everything was going fine until that
moment, and then I was rushed to the OR and put out for an emergency
c-section. I didn't have any choice in it at all (obviously) and as it
turned out, it was a HORRIBLE experience for me all around.

I then had 3 successful vbacs with no issues, although I was monitored for
any possible issues of a repeat breech and all that.

So now... This is the last one for me no matter what. This one was actually
a big "uh-oh... SURPRISE!" pregnancy. I have full intentions to get myself
tied up as soon as possible, and my OB told me she can tie my tubes at the
same time if I need a c-section. I understand that with a c-section and
tubal, it's all in the same area and can be done at the same time, once
she's in there anyways. In the past, I have already made it clear to my OB
that I will not agree to an elective c-section unless it's an extreme case
(like it's a known fact that I'll end up in the OR with another section) but
otherwise, I will go in on my own - and even did the castor oil trick that
worked with DD1 when my c-section date was set for that next Monday but
went in with the help of the lovely castor oil, I'm sure, the Thursday
before lol

I'm now sitting here and seriously debating my options. I can either hope
for vbac #4 in a row or I could go in for a c-section after 1 c-section and
3 vbacs. The things I can't quite make up my mind are... well, first, I
just can't fully 'agree' with the elective surgery thing... I also know that
recovery time is far longer with a c-section, plus I'm not 16 anymore.
Right now, I also still have DS that is up bright and early for school every
day, 2 preschoolers and will soon have a newborn to deal with while I
recover... Oh, and I'm basically on my own now that N is not going to be
around here and I will not have him around here (even if it *seems* to make
life easier for me in the short run because I'm not stupid and know it will
not make my life easier in the long run)
With a c-section, it's not a case of in and out within like 24 hours or less
in the hospital as it is with a regular birth. I still have 3 others to
deal with every single day and can't do that laying in a hospital room.
But... I am set on getting my tubes tied, and I'm wondering if it makes a
difference to have it done as soon as possible or wait however long to get
it done after - which would then mean a surgery at a later date and recovery
time as well... Plus finding a sitter again or someone that can stay with
the kids, and leaving a newborn or very small baby with someone for more
than a couple hours... Plus, the driving thing - I know you're legally
impaired after a general and surgery for something like 24 hours (or is it
48 hours??) Anyways, I'm just stuck on this one...
As it is, I will NOT have N in the room with me at the hospital. I doubt
I'll even care enough to call him at all, but no matter what, I do not care
to have him around me after what he's pulled and continues to pull. I
really now don't have much for a coach or partner for delivery... I want and
need my mom to take the kids as she's my only real option for that, and I
suppose in a pinch I could call a friend, but not sure if I really want to
or how comfortable with that I am... I'm just feeling like I'm in such a
mess right now and not sure what I should be doing...

Old January 2nd 09, 02:41 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka

Kat wrote:

With a c-section, it's not a case of in and out within like 24 hours or less
in the hospital as it is with a regular birth. I still have 3 others to
deal with every single day and can't do that laying in a hospital room.
But... I am set on getting my tubes tied, and I'm wondering if it makes a
difference to have it done as soon as possible or wait however long to get
it done after - which would then mean a surgery at a later date and recovery
time as well... Plus finding a sitter again or someone that can stay with
the kids, and leaving a newborn or very small baby with someone for more
than a couple hours... Plus, the driving thing - I know you're legally
impaired after a general and surgery for something like 24 hours (or is it
48 hours??) Anyways, I'm just stuck on this one...

Barring some kind of medical indication for a c-section,
I think that the vaginal birth wins hands down. You'll bounce
back faster (which you need), and no matter how you slice it,
c-sections carry more risk to yourself and your baby than a
vaginal birth (obviously barring real medical indications for
a c-section). C-sections have become safe*er* than they
used to be (for which we are all grateful, as there are times
when they're necessary), but they are not as safe as vaginal
birth.

Having your tubes tied can be done laparoscopically
and is usually done on an outpatient basis. It seems to be
the case that waiting a little bit after the birth improves
the effectiveness of the tubal ligation. If you were to
end up with a c-section, the small increase in efficacy
probably wouldn't outweigh the benefits of getting it all
done while they were already in there, but I would think that
no way would the risk/benefit ratio work out to suggest you
should choose a c-section in order to get your tubes tied
at the same time. A c-section is much more extensive surgery
than a laparoscopic tubal ligation. You can have a tubal
ligation done while you're still in the hospital after a
vaginal birth as well, but then you're getting slightly
less efficacy, and if you ask me, I sure as heck wouldn't
want to be poked and prodded right after giving birth.
(I don't imagine a tubal is ever particularly fun, but for
me personally, I'd choose to recover and then go back later
for the tubal ligation.) Of course, if you're going to be
in need of contraception soon after the birth, then maybe
it would be good to deal with the tubal ASAP, but otherwise,
you could wait and it wouldn't be a huge deal to do the
tubal after you'd recovered.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old January 2nd 09, 04:00 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

First off, I do NOT agree with the elective C-sections at all...
But, with that said...

That's a bit silly, there are very valid medical reasons for a minority
of women to have a c-section, such as placenta previa, prior pelvic
surgery, certain heart conditions etc. Obviously the vast majority of
people thing that a prior c-section is also a good medical reason for a
c-section (I'd tend to disagree, vbac overall looks better when you look
at ALL outcomes - though there are still lots of subcategories where the
odds swing the other way).

You probably fall into the category of vbac being better for both you
and baby (and probably even in situations such as going overdue you
might both be better to watch and wait, you'd just struggle to get an OB
to do that), after all, you've made the decision that way 3 times before.

Have you really got all the information on having your tubes tied, like
do you know if it's something your OB would do shortly after delivery,
even if it was a normal delivery? Some will do that, even push that option.

On the total opposite side have you got info on other long term methods
of contraception, coil, hormonal coil, implant and injection I think
covers it - you can get them 6 weeks after delivery and then you're
covered, though the injection I think is 3 monthly, the others are
really long term, 5 years I think. Then you'd be covered, whatever
happens until you can schedule a tubal when you have time for it.
Probably, you won't find the recovery that bad and the more time that
passes the more ways there seem to be of doing it and they get even less
invasive.

Cheers
Anne

Old January 2nd 09, 06:32 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
betsy

Kat wrote:

As it is, I will NOT have N in the room with me at the hospital. I doubt
I'll even care enough to call him at all, but no matter what, I do not care
to have him around me after what he's pulled and continues to pull. I
really now don't have much for a coach or partner for delivery... I want and
need my mom to take the kids as she's my only real option for that, and I
suppose in a pinch I could call a friend, but not sure if I really want to
or how comfortable with that I am... I'm just feeling like I'm in such a
mess right now and not sure what I should be doing...

It looks like you already have answers for your other issues. In the
big city nearest to me, among the various Catholic Charities offerings
for single moms, there is a program that provides free labor coaches.
Maybe your city has similar programs. In my area women working toward
becoming certified doulas often volunteer their time or take what the
mother can afford. If you check around quickly, maybe you can find good
affordable labor support.

--Betsy
Old January 3rd 09, 12:41 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sue

It might be a better option to wait until your six-week check up to see
about a tubal. Then, you will be better healed and perhaps your uterus would
have had a chance to go back to a more normal size. Intercourse is not
recommended until after six weeks, so a pregnancy should not be a concern
anyway. Since you do not want another pregnancy, you will need to take
precautions to prevent it until you can do something about it. After the
check up you might feel much better to undergo the outpatient procedure.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 5th 09, 04:46 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

"Ericka" wrote in message
Kat wrote:

[...]

I do definitely agree with this. I also know that I don't take to a general
very well at all. Well, going to sleep is just fine, but waking up is NOT
alright with me, as I found with that first, and only, emergency c-section.

[...]

Those that I know that have had a tubal went in for the surgery. They were
put out completely, the procedure was done and then they were sent home
shortly after. It didn't take too long from when they were in until they
were sent on their way, and I was told that it was fairly straight forward.
I guess you're probably right... The c-section, I know, I had a fairly long
recovery time with it. It was a month before I even went back to classes
after, and for a while, I was not in good shape at all. Maybe it would be
best to wait until after to get it done. There really won't be any need for
contraception after the birth. I'm done with the drama and issues that N
brings with him and I'm not having him around any time soon, and there
DEFINITELY won't be any need for birth control right after unless I turn
asexual and manage to reproduce with myself

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 5th 09, 05:05 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

First off, I do NOT agree with the elective C-sections at all...
But, with that said...

That's a bit silly, there are very valid medical reasons for a minority of
women to have a c-section, such as placenta previa, prior pelvic surgery,
certain heart conditions etc. Obviously the vast majority of people thing
that a prior c-section is also a good medical reason for a c-section (I'd
tend to disagree, vbac overall looks better when you look at ALL
outcomes - though there are still lots of subcategories where the odds
swing the other way).

I mean elective as in, "I don't want to do it the old fashioned way, so
please schedule me for a section". Not some kind of medical reason. There
are people, I know, that will simply decide they don't want to go through
the whole labor and delivery and just want to go for a c-section because the
option is there and available. Not the ones that HAVE to or should have a
c-section for valid reasons - like the medical conditions or concerns.

You probably fall into the category of vbac being better for both you and
baby (and probably even in situations such as going overdue you might both
be better to watch and wait, you'd just struggle to get an OB to do that),
after all, you've made the decision that way 3 times before.

I'm sure I would as well, and 3 vbacs on my side is probably more of a bonus
for me. For some reason, it seems my OB (that I've had for years now - she
wasn't my OB for the first, but she did the delivery, which was the
emergency c-section, and then she was my OB from that section on... She also
delivered 3/4 for me, but was on vacation, I believe, when DD1 was born)
will not let me go very far over due. I don't know why. With #1, he was
born via c-section when I went into labor on my own just 2 days after my
EDD. With #2, she had me scheduled for induction when I was 7 days over due
but I wasn't induced due to no beds being available, but actually went in
that very night on my own in labor. And I was scheduled for induction as
this will be 8 years ago at the end of this month and I don't think there
was as much info about induction after c-section as there is now. She had
me scheduled for surgery with #3 for a Monday, which was 8 days after my
EDD, and my due date was on a Sunday. With #4, I think I was due on the
30th of the month, she said she'd see me no later than Halloween Day, a day
after my EDD, and I would have a Halloween baby at the very latest. Yet she
was born a week early.

Have you really got all the information on having your tubes tied, like do
you know if it's something your OB would do shortly after delivery, even
if it was a normal delivery? Some will do that, even push that option.

Not really. I know she will do it for me, though. I don't know when,
exactly, or how long I'd have to wait, though. I believe it's 3 babies that
they will do a tubal at, or if you can convince them sooner. There's not
many that will do a tubal (to my knowledge) with 1-2 children (unless, of
course, there's some sort of circumstance) I had a friend who had to
convince her OB to do it. She was having a c-section anyways and this was
only her second baby, but when she asked the OB to do it, the OB kind of
refused and said they normally do it after baby #3. She was told that a
tubal is somewhat "permanent", and although free to have it done, it is
costly to have it reversed. The OB also told her she could meet someone
wonderful and want to have more children, bla bla bla. This friend then
told her OB that she's about to be a single mother of 2 with 2 different
fathers and neither of the fathers being around and she's had lots of time
to think about it and this IS what she wants. If she happens to meet
someone fantastic, they're going to have to accept that she is not having
any more children, or he's going to have to be real rich! She did have it
done.

On the total opposite side have you got info on other long term methods of
contraception, coil, hormonal coil, implant and injection I think covers
it - you can get them 6 weeks after delivery and then you're covered,
though the injection I think is 3 monthly, the others are really long
term, 5 years I think. Then you'd be covered, whatever happens until you
can schedule a tubal when you have time for it. Probably, you won't find
the recovery that bad and the more time that passes the more ways there
seem to be of doing it and they get even less invasive.

Cheers
Anne

I've looked around at other possibilities. I want something that is
considered, basically, forever and permanent. I do NOT want any more. I'm
already a single mom now, and it appears the kids' dad is a deadbeat. I'm
already struggling with the 3, and now have to add #4 to the mix, and I just
could not handle another one. Even in the future. I also think that DS is
turning 8 in a couple weeks. A few years down the line, this baby will be
older, DS will be pushing into the pre-teen ages and I do not care to start
ALL over again with the diapers, pregnancy, lack of sleep, insanity. This
pregnancy was even a bit surprise that kind of hit me hard. This isn't what
I had planned, really, and I don't. Most contraceptives seem to be by
perscription. At least with a tubal, it's completely free to have done, but
with a perscription I would have to pay (yea, ok, every 5 years or so
probably isn't a big deal, but again, a tubal is free) I just want to
really cut the chances of another "SURPRISE!!!" down to almost nothing.

Old January 5th 09, 05:13 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

"betsy" wrote in message
Kat wrote:

[...]

I called the line about community services we have here... They're like a
'distress line' and have info on everything from counsellors to places to
get food and necessities and everything in between. I asked if there was
anything that I could possibly get help from and there was this place called
something like "Association for Safe Alternatives in Childbirth" and I
called and left a message a few days ago. The machine said they check
messages on a weekly basis only, so I will wait until the end of this week
coming up and hope they can offer some help for what I need, or be able to
point me in the right direction.
This 'distress line' place I called for the city offers info on very
low-cost or free services, they don't really give info on things that
normally cost or are for-profit, so maybe this Association place might be a
good start.

Old January 5th 09, 05:37 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Those that I know that have had a tubal went in for the surgery. They were
put out completely, the procedure was done and then they were sent home
shortly after. It didn't take too long from when they were in until they
were sent on their way, and I was told that it was fairly straight forward.
I guess you're probably right... The c-section, I know, I had a fairly long
recovery time with it. It was a month before I even went back to classes
after, and for a while, I was not in good shape at all. Maybe it would be
best to wait until after to get it done. There really won't be any need for
contraception after the birth. I'm done with the drama and issues that N
brings with him and I'm not having him around any time soon, and there
DEFINITELY won't be any need for birth control right after unless I turn
asexual and manage to reproduce with myself

I'm I hearing you right that the general anesthetic is the big deal for
you? Remember that being knocked out for an emergency c-section is not
the same as being out for a minor procedure. Also, each anaethetist will
have different preference of drugs and exact methods and if you explain
the problems from last time, they may also be able to make choices based
on that. For a tubal, I think you'd be out about 15 minutes, a c-section
is more like 45, longer anesthetics are more likely to give trouble in
general, it might not seem like much difference, but the amount of drugs
they give to keep you under will be obviously be significantly greater.

I think you really need to talk to your doctor about your options,
someone mentione essure and even procedures that are usually done under
a general can often be done under a spinal with a motivated patient, so
you could ask about that too.

Cheers
Anne
Old January 5th 09, 05:46 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I mean elective as in, "I don't want to do it the old fashioned way, so
please schedule me for a section". Not some kind of medical reason. There
are people, I know, that will simply decide they don't want to go through
the whole labor and delivery and just want to go for a c-section because the
option is there and available. Not the ones that HAVE to or should have a
c-section for valid reasons - like the medical conditions or concerns.

Elective is doctor speak for their list of planned surgeries for the
day, you could have an "elective" section that was actually more of an
emergency than an "emergency" one, if, say there was a deteriorating
situation, but they had you admitted for observation whilst adding you
to the list for the next day, the women with a slow labour overnight
might get in sooner and be considered an emergency!

[...]

You have to wonder if she was going on holiday in November! Fingers
crossed you'll have a baby sometime in week 39, but 1 day over is a bit
of a dumb reason for a c-section, maybe she's not really understanding
you and is suggesting it more out of sympathy about not being pregnant
for a week longer or something. Personally in this kind of situation I'd
make it clear that I don't consider 1 day over to be overdue at all, WHO
states normal pregnancy is upto 42 weeks. If that wasn't enough I'd add
that I'd want at least two tests to verify that delivery really was
necessary (it's very easy to convince someone that a single NST is
enough of an indicator to deliver, if that's what the doctor wants to
acheive!) and add something about "before you CONSENT" to it, basically
trying to politely hammer home that she doesn't get to decide, she gives
you the facts and you make the decision!

Good Luck

Anne