Lump

Old August 11th 03, 01:59 AM
iphigenia

Default Lump

Taniwha grrrl wrote:

Is this likely to be a swollen gland due to lactation or
should I start worrying about cancer?

Um. Neither. It's probably a plugged duct.
http://www.kellymom.com/newman/block...tis_01-03.html

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old August 11th 03, 02:09 AM
Taniwha grrrl

My baby is 3 weeks old, feeding is going fine, but I have a
rather large lump under my armpit. It was deep in like a
pea, but it's grown and now is raised on the surface too and
about twice the size. It's not painful, but is 'bruised' to
touch.
Is this likely to be a swollen gland due to lactation or
should I start worrying about cancer?

Andrea

Old August 11th 03, 03:23 AM
Rob and Laura

It probably is a blocked duct I had it under my right arm pit and it was pea
size I thought cancer too, and went to a Dr and he told me it was probably a
plugged duct and after a week or so it went away.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

Old August 11th 03, 03:45 AM
iphigenia

Taniwha grrrl wrote:

Thanks Iphigenia. It's in my armpit though not under my arm
or in my breast, is it still likely to be a blocked duct?

Ducts do go up quite a way, it could definitely be that. That seems to be an
area that's pretty prone to plugs, probably because of pressure from bra
bands and straps.

Also how would I clear it, or should I just let it resolve
itself?

Check the website I posted, it's got some ideas.
Standard suggestions a massage - gentle circles pressuring the lump down
toward the nipple. Warm compresses, hot showers. Try to get baby to nurse as
much as possible, with his/her chin aligned with the lump. Sometimes that
can be a bit of a challenge - you have to lay the baby down and hover above
them on hands and knees if you get one on the top of the breast - but in
this case, the football hold should do the trick.

I would take active steps toward resolving the plug - minor ones may resolve
without much effort, but any plug can become infected, and mastitis is
REALLY no picnic.

Old August 11th 03, 03:49 AM
juniper

Taniwha grrrl wrote:
My baby is 3 weeks old, feeding is going fine, but I have a
rather large lump under my armpit. It was deep in like a
pea, but it's grown and now is raised on the surface too and
about twice the size. It's not painful, but is 'bruised' to
touch.
Is this likely to be a swollen gland due to lactation or
should I start worrying about cancer?

Andrea

I have one of those too -- my doctor said it was a little bit of breast
tissue that would go away when I stopped nursing (I thought it was a
plugged duct too, although I also tried not to freak out thinking it was
cancer.) My baby is six weeks old now, and I discovered it when she was
about a week old.

- Jennifer from Delaware

Old August 11th 03, 07:35 AM
newfy

"Taniwha grrrl" wrote in message
Thanks Iphigenia. It's in my armpit though not under my arm
or in my breast, is it still likely to be a blocked duct?

Yes. The ducts can go up pretty high. I remember I had a little lump in my
armpit soon after Matthew was there. The usual warm compresses and massage
were helpful. Good to "see" you.
--
JennP.
mom to matthew 10/11/00

Old August 11th 03, 09:16 PM
Andrea

Hi Andrea,

No advice but just wanted to say congrats on Lydia and welcome back. How are
you feeling? I hope you are healing well.

I was at my postnatal check the other day and I told my Dr about my
backpain. He said, "Don't worry it's perfectly normal, you are getting older
now and this is your 5th baby"
What a cheek! I am only 25! He will be in for a shock when I am back in
pregnant with number 6. (Which is planned for around 18 months time). Oh
well I will worry if the amount of kids I have overtakes the number of
faeries I have collected.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 9 weeks old weighing 15
pounds.

Fave quote "Mother is the word for God on the lips and hearts of children"
from the film "The Crow".

Old August 13th 03, 12:26 AM
Dawn Lawson

It took a while to get rid of. Be vigilant about warm/hot compresses,
massages. The best thing that worked for me was putting cold cabbage
leaves on the lump as a cold compress, but you need to be careful not to
overdo the cabbage thing.

Jeanne

Never heard this....why? What could happen if you "overdo" the cabbage?

Dawn

Old August 13th 03, 12:54 AM
Bruce and Jeanne

Dawn Lawson wrote:

It took a while to get rid of. Be vigilant about warm/hot compresses,
massages. The best thing that worked for me was putting cold cabbage
leaves on the lump as a cold compress, but you need to be careful not to
overdo the cabbage thing.

Jeanne

Never heard this....why? What could happen if you "overdo" the cabbage?

Dawn

I know that cabbage leaves are used to reduce engorgement. I orginally
thought it was to relieve the pain, but maybe it actually reduces the
milk supply. Hence the warning from my midwife

Jeanne

Old August 13th 03, 01:48 AM
iphigenia

Dawn Lawson wrote:

Never heard this....why? What could happen if you "overdo" the
cabbage?

A little cabbage reduces engorgement - a lot of cabbage dries up supply.