Scots call for electronic monitoring of 8yo-excess crime

Old July 10th 03, 11:36 PM
Fern5827

Default Scots call for electronic monitoring of 8yo-excess crime

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=33257

Wednesday, June 25, 2003

------

------
YOUR PAPERS, PLEASE …
8-year-olds face electronic tagging
High-tech monitoring proposed
for out-of-control pre-teens

------
5:00 p.m. Eastern

------
© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com
In an effort to crack down on an epidemic of youth crime, Scotland is
considering a proposal to electronically tag repeat offenders, possibly as
young as eight years old, the daily Scotsman reported.

Complaints about youth crime and anti-social behavior have been overwhelming,
says Margaret Curran, the Scottish Executive minister for communities.

Margaret Curran (photo: The Scotsman)

"We need to do what has to be done," she said. "If that's tough then that's
tough. We are not helping these young people at all if we don't try to deal
with their behavior."

Under the proposal, parents who fail to help impose tagging orders on their
out-of-control children will face fines and even jail, the Scotsman said.

In an interview on BBC Scotland's Politics Show, Curran said no specific age
would be stated in a consultation paper the Executive will submit on the issue.

However, when asked if children as young as 8 would be tagged, she replied:
"Some people might say that we should. Some people might say there should be a
higher age limit. I will take a view when we see the evidence."

The Scotsman reported Curran had confirmed 10 was the lowest age for tagging
being considered.

England and Wales already have tagged 4,000 pre-teens since 2001 with a device
that sends a signal to a transmitter in the offender's home and relays it to a
central control. Similar monitoring has been done in the U.S. for more than a
decade.

For the past year, Scottish courts have had the option of electronic tagging as
an alternative to prison but only for adult offenders.

Statistics from the Scottish Executive show a 34 percent increase in breaches
of the peace by juveniles since 1991.

"You get people coming in at 16 or 17 who are almost beyond redemption,
hardened criminals," Curran told the Scottish newspaper. "Or having engaged in
enough behavior to feel as if they're in a 'them and us' situation. We want to
introduce them to behavior modification at an earlier age."

Civil libertarians and child advocacy groups are wary of the proposal, however,
and some child psychologists insist the tags would become a "badge of honor"
for rebellious youth.

"What tagging does to kids is give them status," said Jack Boyle, who has
worked with older youths who have been tagged. "The only peers anti-social kids
have are other anti-social kids."

He added though, he understands the "government has to do something about this
minority who wreak havoc and misery."

"Tagging can have a short-term effect," he said. "It might keep them from
committing a crime, keep them away from certain areas or keep them in the
house."

The Scottish National Party's justice spokeswoman, Nicola Sturgeon, said
legislators must "ensure tagging is not a cheap alternative to solving
anti-social behavior."

"Children need to change by having their offending addressed, and they must
have the opportunity to do so instead of all cases resulting in electronic
tagging," she said, according to the Scottish Daily Record newspaper.

Old July 11th 03, 09:35 AM
billy f

Why not just spanked their defiant little asses. I laugh every I read a
story like this. When are these so call experts going to wake up a realize
that these kids need discipline and tough love. Hopefully one day the will
see that kids who are brought up in a loving, but firm home are far less
likely to be repeated offenders. Parents all over the world are laughing
with me on this because they know that their children do not have these kind
of problems and know the reasons why. There is obviously more to than
spanking, but spanking does play a role.

Old July 11th 03, 04:45 PM
Fern5827

Bill, it is very lucrative to keep the industry alive which disempowers
parents.

Why, a whole industry is built upon the *experts* coming into a family to teach
them how to conduct themselves.

Some have declared it a "War against Parents."

Billy demonstrates the absurdity of the law enforcement industry taking over
parenting:

Old July 12th 03, 04:30 AM
Frank Bloater

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:35:01 GMT, "billy f"
wrote:

Parents all over the world are laughing
with me on this because they know that their children do not have these kind
of problems.

Don't OVER estimate how many people read this newsgroup, billy!!!!

Frank Bloater ;-

Old July 14th 03, 08:47 PM
LaVonne Carlson

billy f wrote:

Why not just spanked their defiant little asses.

How do you know these children had not been spanked? I didn't see anything in
the article below indicating anything about spanking?

I laugh every I read a
story like this. When are these so call experts going to wake up a realize
that these kids need discipline and tough love.

I laugh every time I read a post from someone who associates disciplinary
problems with lack of spanking, especially when responding to an article that
gave no reason for drawing that conclusion.

I cry when I read posts from individuals that have such limited understanding
of parenting that they cannot imagine discipline and tough love without
spanking.

Hopefully one day the will
see that kids who are brought up in a loving, but firm home are far less
likely to be repeated offenders

Children who are hit and hurt in the name of discipline are far more likely to
be first and second juvenile offenders than are children who are raised in
loving but firm homes. Thank you for making my point, billy.

. Parents all over the world are laughing
with me on this because they know that their children do not have these kind
of problems and know the reasons why. There is obviously more to than
spanking, but spanking does play a role.

If there is a role, you have failed to provide the link. You rail about lack
of spanking regarding the youth in Scotland, yet there is nothing in the post
indicating anything about spanking. You advocate a firm and loving home, as we
all do, and then you assume that firm and loving homes must include spanking.

Children need firm and loving homes. Children do not need to be hit and hurt
in the name of discipline. One can have a firm and loving home without
spanking. If you cannot imagine firmness without hitting a child, please learn
something about parenting. If you think hitting is love, please learn
something. It's hard to find a child in the juvenile system that hasn't been
spanked! Wonder why that is?

LaVonne

Old July 14th 03, 08:57 PM
LaVonne Carlson

Fern5827 wrote:

Bill, it is very lucrative to keep the industry alive which disempowers
parents.

No Fern, it is not lucrative. If the system was lucrative, there would be no
reason for the massive budget cuts now being experienced in education, in health
care, and in social services.

Why, a whole industry is built upon the *experts* coming into a family to teach
them how to conduct themselves.

And what planet are you from? Yes, there are trained individuals who may meet
with families to help them resolve their issues and be better parents.
Unfortunately, this was never adequately funded, and the funding is now cut even
more. If this was lucrative, I'd imagine a huge increase in those services,
wouldn't you?

After all, the US is facing a huge deficit, and some predict worse than in the
30's. Why decrease programs that are lucrative?

LaVonne

Old July 15th 03, 02:46 AM
Kane

Doan wrote in message ...

Snipping the pottage..............

Simple! Because spanking is almost universal! It is hard to find a
senator or a congressman that hasn't been spanked! Can you name a
non-spanked Nobel Laureate? ;-)

Doan

Sure.

I don't think Elie Wiesel was.

Don't know if these following guys were unspanked or not, but they
sure as are against it, and a few of them laureates:

James Prescott, Ph.D., wrote the "Ashley Montagu Resolution" in 1994.
Dr. Francis Crick, Nobel Laureate in Medicine (1962) and discoverer of
the structure of the DNA molecule, endorsed the Montagu Resolution in
1995, along with Dr. Jonas Salk and many others.

Dr. George Wald, Nobel Laureate in Medicine (1967) and discoverer of
vitamin A in the retina of the eye and how it works there with light
to form the molecular basis of vision, was also a strong defender of
the human right to bodily integrity.

You might look up the Ashley Montagu Resolution. It'll make you cry.

If you can.........

You think your a smart ass with your questions that can't be answered
don't you?

Just how many people that haven't been spanked would even bother to
mention it? Millions of people haven't been spanked, they just haven't
a reason to mention it.

ON the other hand, those that have been report it a lot. I wonder why
that is?

Could be we tend to talk about the negative more than the positive.

Kane
Old July 15th 03, 12:27 PM
billy f

Law enforcement should not be taking over parenting. They should however
help those that are unable to handle their children, but I think their
approach is a little off.

Old July 16th 03, 02:57 PM
Doan

On 14 Jul 2003, Kane wrote:

Doan wrote in message ...

Snipping the pottage..............

Simple! Because spanking is almost universal! It is hard to find a
senator or a congressman that hasn't been spanked! Can you name a
non-spanked Nobel Laureate? ;-)

Doan

Sure.

I don't think Elie Wiesel was.

Don't know if these following guys were unspanked or not, but they
sure as are against it, and a few of them laureates:

In short, you don't know jack! Being against spanking is not the same
as being unspanked. Just ask Chris and LaVonne, they are against but
were beaten as children!

James Prescott, Ph.D., wrote the "Ashley Montagu Resolution" in 1994.
Dr. Francis Crick, Nobel Laureate in Medicine (1962) and discoverer of
the structure of the DNA molecule, endorsed the Montagu Resolution in
1995, along with Dr. Jonas Salk and many others.

Irrelevant!

Dr. George Wald, Nobel Laureate in Medicine (1967) and discoverer of
vitamin A in the retina of the eye and how it works there with light
to form the molecular basis of vision, was also a strong defender of
the human right to bodily integrity.

Irrelevant!

You might look up the Ashley Montagu Resolution. It'll make you cry.

If you can.........

You think your a smart ass with your questions that can't be answered
don't you?

Of course! And you still can't answer it! ;-)

Just how many people that haven't been spanked would even bother to
mention it? Millions of people haven't been spanked, they just haven't
a reason to mention it.

And your prove is???

ON the other hand, those that have been report it a lot. I wonder why
that is?

Could be we tend to talk about the negative more than the positive.

Then why did you claimed to be "never-spanked"??? ;-)

Doan

Old July 17th 03, 05:15 AM
Kane

Doan wrote in message ...
On 14 Jul 2003, Kane wrote:

Doan wrote in message ...

Snipping the pottage..............

Simple! Because spanking is almost universal! It is hard to find a
senator or a congressman that hasn't been spanked! Can you name a
non-spanked Nobel Laureate? ;-)

Doan

Sure.

I don't think Elie Wiesel was.

Don't know if these following guys were unspanked or not, but they
sure as are against it, and a few of them laureates:

In short, you don't know jack!

Ah, but I do know Doan...r r r r

Being against spanking is not the same
as being unspanked. Just ask Chris and LaVonne, they are against but
were beaten as children!

As I mentioned in the previous reply to your question, it was a stupid
question. People that are spanked often report it, either out of the
negative trauma it created, or out of defense of their abusers from
trauma bonding effects.

People who haven't been spanked don't even think to mention it. I've
read many a biography that had no mention of it at all, while in
others it was a central theme in some sections of their writing, and
it had the one of the two characteristics I mentioned above.

James Prescott, Ph.D., wrote the "Ashley Montagu Resolution" in 1994.
Dr. Francis Crick, Nobel Laureate in Medicine (1962) and discoverer of
the structure of the DNA molecule, endorsed the Montagu Resolution in
1995, along with Dr. Jonas Salk and many others.

Irrelevant!

No, Doan. YOU are irrelevant and I enjoy engaging you so people can
see just how irrelevant you are.

Dr. George Wald, Nobel Laureate in Medicine (1967) and discoverer of
vitamin A in the retina of the eye and how it works there with light
to form the molecular basis of vision, was also a strong defender of
the human right to bodily integrity.

Irrelevant!

No, Doan, the point is you don't know if they were spanked or not.

I've been waiting patiently for this. Please provide us with the names
of Nobel Laureates that have been spanked, and prove it.

You might look up the Ashley Montagu Resolution. It'll make you cry.

If you can.........

Passed right by it, eh? Now that is a case for your irrelevance if
ever I've seen it.

I love it when you set here claiming someone like LaVonne hasn't
answered your challenge because of some inability to do so. She may be
gone, she may think you are too funny for words, or she may think you
are irrelevant and crasy as a loon...who knows, but your assumptions
are comic.

You think your a smart ass with your questions that can't be answered
don't you?

Of course! And you still can't answer it! ;-)

And that is relevant how, given the question has no value since it
asks nothing that can be answered?

Just how many people that haven't been spanked would even bother to
mention it? Millions of people haven't been spanked, they just haven't
a reason to mention it.

And your prove is???

Opps! Walked right into it, didn't you? r r r r r

10 percent of the population, according to YOUR claims, has not been
spanked, or has made no claim one way or another. What's 10% of the
population of the US please?

Could it be in the millions?

ON the other hand, those that have been report it a lot. I wonder why
that is?

Could be we tend to talk about the negative more than the positive.

Then why did you claimed to be "never-spanked"??? ;-)

I said that, did I? Can you provide a cite? Someone must be posting
under my handle and addy. I've never discussed it one way or another.

I have discussed my two children, who, except for one highly
educational swat on the butt to one kid when he was five, were not
spanked, and for that matter not punished deliberately. They were
taught. Turned out fantastic, if I say so myself. Very successful and
independent, law abiding, productive, and jolly good fun to be around.

By the way, the educational part that came out of that one swat was
not my child's education, but rather, MINE. He obeyed me immediately,
when he shouldn't have. He got an immediate apology and a promise, and
he never once in his whole childhood or later, ever took advantage of
the fact he had my promise he'd never be hit again.

Doan

Poor little puppy. Sit up and beg for us Doan, there's a good boy.

Kane

Suppose we Outlawed Punishment? Nathan A. Barclay General 33 July 5th 04 03:22 AM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
PPAC, vaccinations and chiro bouncer Bob (Bob Dubin, Diplomate, American Board of Chiropractic Censorship) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 1 September 6th 03 08:55 PM
Ex-medical student crime: MDs manipulate *baby's* spine when mother is suffering pain! Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 August 23rd 03 10:21 PM
University hospitals as MD 'frat houses' (Will UCLA be first to stop mass MD vagina crime?) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 July 24th 03 04:39 PM