Placenta attachment causing bleeding (?) vs. Blighted Ovum... Questions (m/c ment.)

Old May 20th 04, 01:27 AM
Melody

Default Placenta attachment causing bleeding (?) vs. Blighted Ovum... Questions (m/c ment.)

I'm just *confused*. I'm hoping someone can help me out a little.

I posted last week, scared I was having a m/c. (Thank, you, BTW to all of
you who replied) That doesn't seem to be the case according to my midwife.

Now, I'm still spotting brown (old blood) and wen't back to see my midwife
today. She did another HCG Quantative test for which I'll have the results
tomorrow and is sending me for another u/s on Monday. She gave me two
theories on what may be going on.

Theory 1: (Mind you I am NOT an auditory person, I'm a visual person so I
may not relay what she said with great accuracy, I'm hoping someone can
figure out what I'm talking about.) Is that there's been some sort of
bleeding between the placenta and where it attached for some reason or
another and that's what's causing my spotting. She said this is fairly
common and some women spot for days because of it, others have spotted for
up to 4 months. She said this condition will not affect the viability of the
fetus. Likely? Anyone heard of this? This is a new one on me...

Theory 2: I have a blighted ovum. I have heard of this, I know it is fairly
common. My u/s last monday showed only a gestational sac and a yolk sac but
I was determined to only be 4 to 5 weeks pregnant. My HCG levels went up
appropriately from Monday afternoon (9312) to Tuesday morning (13148).

I won't have the results from todays HCG until tomorrow afternoon. If it is
a blighted ovum how long will the HCG continue to rise? What should it be at
by now? My midwife will be unavailable until Monday, the lab tech is calling
with the results so I would like to have some idea on how to interpret them.

I won't know anything for certain until Monday's ultrasound when I should be
between 6 and 7 weeks pregnant. Will an ultrasound at this stage be accurate
enough to make a proper diagnosis?

Also, the midwife mentioned that they will offer me a D&C if it does turn
out to be a blighted ovum. Can anyone give me the risks and benefits of
having one? Is a blighted ovum guaranteed to come out on its own without
having one?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks again.

Melody (driving myself crazy)

Old May 20th 04, 02:03 AM
Mary W.

Melody wrote:

Theory 1: (Mind you I am NOT an auditory person, I'm a visual person so I
may not relay what she said with great accuracy, I'm hoping someone can
figure out what I'm talking about.) Is that there's been some sort of
bleeding between the placenta and where it attached for some reason or
another and that's what's causing my spotting. She said this is fairly
common and some women spot for days because of it, others have spotted for
up to 4 months. She said this condition will not affect the viability of the
fetus. Likely? Anyone heard of this? This is a new one on me...

Yes, I've heard of something like this. I think a fair number of women
have unexplained spotting. One thing you might want to check is your
progesterone level and go on supplements if its low.

Theory 2: I have a blighted ovum. I have heard of this, I know it is fairly

common. My u/s last monday showed only a gestational sac and a yolk sac but
I was determined to only be 4 to 5 weeks pregnant. My HCG levels went up
appropriately from Monday afternoon (9312) to Tuesday morning (13148).

Those are very good numbers, I think.

I won't have the results from todays HCG until tomorrow afternoon. If it is
a blighted ovum how long will the HCG continue to rise? What should it be at
by now? My midwife will be unavailable until Monday, the lab tech is calling
with the results so I would like to have some idea on how to interpret them.

My hCG levels were rising quite slowly, but rising. We had serial
ultrasounds, and confirmed a nonviable pregnancy at 8.5 weeks (I think).
At that point my levels had started to drop. We never saw a fetal pole
or the heartbeat.

I won't know anything for certain until Monday's ultrasound when I should be
between 6 and 7 weeks pregnant. Will an ultrasound at this stage be accurate
enough to make a proper diagnosis?

You should see some progress from your last ultrasound, probably a fetal
pole, maybe a heartbeat. Those would confirm a continuing pregnancy. We
continued to monitor our pregnancy until we were certain (by ultrasound
and by hCG) that it was not viable. We did choose to do a D&E, mostly
for my emotional health.

Also, the midwife mentioned that they will offer me a D&C if it does turn
out to be a blighted ovum. Can anyone give me the risks and benefits of
having one? Is a blighted ovum guaranteed to come out on its own without
having one?

You would likely miscarry naturally if you did nothing. I know one the
risks of a D&C is perforating the uterus but that this is rare. I know
there are other risks, but don't know them off hand. The benefit is that
your ordeal is over with quicker which may or may not
be a benefit. Miscarrying naturally is healing for some, and traumatic
for others. If you miscarry naturally and something is retained you may
end up with a D&C anyway. Its such a personal decision and hopefully
you wont need to make it. I would make sure that the evidence that the
pregnancy isn't viable really convinces you before you have the D&C if
you would go that way.

I'm sorry for the uncertainty, it really sucks. I wish you the best.

Mary

Old May 20th 04, 02:27 AM
JennP

"Melody" wrote in message

Theory 1: (Mind you I am NOT an auditory person, I'm a visual person so I
may not relay what she said with great accuracy, I'm hoping someone can
figure out what I'm talking about.) Is that there's been some sort of
bleeding between the placenta and where it attached for some reason or
another and that's what's causing my spotting. She said this is fairly
common and some women spot for days because of it, others have spotted for
up to 4 months. She said this condition will not affect the viability of

the
fetus. Likely? Anyone heard of this? This is a new one on me...

Yes, yes, yes! Very common. I had bleeding at about seven weeks with this
pregnancy. Bright red blood which scared me to death because I've miscarried
twice in the past year and a half. An ultrasound showed that my placenta was
forming low and the technician said that it was very likely a blood vessel
burst and that was the cause of the spotting. It ended fairly quickly, I had
no cramping at all and it turned to brown (old) blood after the initial
bleed. FWIW, the brown blood lasted for about a week.

Theory 2: I have a blighted ovum. I have heard of this, I know it is

fairly
common. My u/s last monday showed only a gestational sac and a yolk sac

but
I was determined to only be 4 to 5 weeks pregnant. My HCG levels went up
appropriately from Monday afternoon (9312) to Tuesday morning (13148).

Those are *fabulous* HCG numbers.

I won't have the results from todays HCG until tomorrow afternoon. If it

is
a blighted ovum how long will the HCG continue to rise? What should it be

at
by now? My midwife will be unavailable until Monday, the lab tech is

calling
with the results so I would like to have some idea on how to interpret

them.

I'd think that if it was bad news that *someone* would call to have you come
in. I doubt that they would just give you the numbers and say, "Have a nice
weekend".

I won't know anything for certain until Monday's ultrasound when I should

be
between 6 and 7 weeks pregnant. Will an ultrasound at this stage be

accurate
enough to make a proper diagnosis?

You should be far along enough to see a heartbeat and probably the placenta
starting to form through a transvaginal ultrasound. The tech should be able
to tell you where the placenta is forming.

Also, the midwife mentioned that they will offer me a D&C if it does turn
out to be a blighted ovum. Can anyone give me the risks and benefits of
having one? Is a blighted ovum guaranteed to come out on its own without
having one?

I had two miscarriages and ended up with a D&C with both. With the first, I
was too far along to feel comfortable letting it happen naturally (about 12
weeks) so I had a D&C. The second, I was about six weeks and decided to let
nature take it's course. This is just my experience, but the waiting was
pure HELL. I waited for over a month and finally some bleeding started, but
after over a week of bleeding an ultrasound showed that the sac was still
there. I hadn't passed any of it. I ended up with a D&C after all that
anyway. Very traumatic for me. I don't think it takes most women this long,
but it did for me and I was totally unprepared.

Choosing a D&C or miscarrying naturally is a highly personal decision that
only you can choose. I really hope that everything is fine, but if in the
unfortunate situation they aren't, feel free to post again about D&C vs.
natural miscarriage. You'll get a lot of support and information to help you
make your decision.

Let's hope we are discussing these options all for nothing. I know how
hard this time is for you. ((((Melody)))

--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old May 20th 04, 02:30 AM
Nancy P

"Melody" wrote in message
I'm just *confused*. I'm hoping someone can help me Theory 1: (Mind you

I am NOT an auditory person, I'm a visual person so I
may not relay what she said with great accuracy, I'm hoping someone can
figure out what I'm talking about.) Is that there's been some sort of
bleeding between the placenta and where it attached for some reason or
another and that's what's causing my spotting. She said this is fairly
common and some women spot for days because of it, others have spotted for
up to 4 months. She said this condition will not affect the viability of

the
fetus. Likely? Anyone heard of this? This is a new one on me...

This sounds like a subchorionic hemorrhage, which I had in my last
pregnancy. Its basically a blood clot that bleeds itself out. I spotted
from about week 10 to week 16, and had a few instances of heavy
bleeding/cramping where I was convinced I was miscarrying. My midwife put
me on pelvic rest until my 18 week ultrasound showed that it was gone. I
now have a healthy 4 week old girl.

Good luck, I hope this turns out well for you.

Nancy

Old May 20th 04, 03:42 AM
Coccinella

Melody wrote:
I'm just *confused*. I'm hoping someone can help me out a little.

Theory 1: (Mind you I am NOT an auditory person, I'm a visual person
so I may not relay what she said with great accuracy, I'm hoping
someone can figure out what I'm talking about.) Is that there's been
some sort of bleeding between the placenta and where it attached for
some reason or another and that's what's causing my spotting. She
said this is fairly common and some women spot for days because of
it, others have spotted for up to 4 months. She said this condition
will not affect the viability of the fetus. Likely? Anyone heard of
this? This is a new one on me...

When I was 8 ww pg I started bleeding. At first it was spotting like yours.
I went to the ER (Dr's orders and they said that our little bean was fine.
A week later I had serious bleeding. Back to the ER they found a big blood
clot just beside the placenta that was bigger than the embrio and
gestational sac! They gave me progesterone for a week and after 10 days or
so the bleeding stopped.

Hope that everything turns out fine for you, too.
I do understand the scare.

Pampering vibes to you

--
Love

Nicky

Proud mamma to Alexandra (03/22/2004)

Alexandra's birth announcement
Fur Babies

Old May 20th 04, 03:50 AM
Cheryl

On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:27:52 -0400, "Melody"
wrote:

[...]

Like Nancy said, it's usually known as a subchorionic haematoma. I
had one with #3, it meant episodes of bleeding about every 2 or 3
weeks from about week 6 onwards. In my case though I was told that it
was potentially going to affect viability because it surrounded about
2/3rds of the gestational sac when it was seen on ultrasound at about
5 weeks. I ended up having one really bad episode of bleeding at
around 11 weeks where I was convinced that I must be miscarrying but
that was pretty much the last of the blood coming out because I was
sent for an ultrasound and the blood clot was mostly gone. A
subchorionic haematoma is more common than people might think, and it
depends on where it is in relation to the forming placenta as to how
it affects the baby.

Theory 2: I have a blighted ovum. I have heard of this, I know it is fairly
common. My u/s last monday showed only a gestational sac and a yolk sac but
I was determined to only be 4 to 5 weeks pregnant. My HCG levels went up
appropriately from Monday afternoon (9312) to Tuesday morning (13148).

snip

Also, the midwife mentioned that they will offer me a D&C if it does turn
out to be a blighted ovum. Can anyone give me the risks and benefits of
having one? Is a blighted ovum guaranteed to come out on its own without
having one?

Not necessarily. I found out from my SIL a couple of years ago that
her first pregnancy ended at 16 weeks. That was when they finally
discovered that she had a blighted ovum, it wasn't until they tried to
hear the heartbeat at 16 weeks that they realised there was no baby.
Her body had reacted as if she was pregnant with a viable baby and of
course she hadn't been expecting to feel movement yet so there was no
other way of knowing that there was a problem since she hadn't had any
bleeding. Because it had been so long since the baby had stopped
growing and she hadn't miscarried naturally she had a D&C.

I don't think there is any way at all to stop you from worrying until
you see a little baby on an ultrasound but try to not worry too much
since there is nothing you can do about either situation except what
you are doing, seeking information. Good luck with your test results.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)
Old May 20th 04, 02:27 PM
Melody

"Melody" wrote in message
I was determined to only be 4 to 5 weeks pregnant. My HCG levels went up
appropriately from Monday afternoon (9312) to Tuesday morning (13148).

Thanks so much for all the replies. I'm in a hurry to get to work but will
reply individually later tonight. I did get my new HCG result, it's 68,500.

So, on 5/10 it was 9312
5/11 13148
5/19 68500

Shouldn't it be higher than this if it's supposed to double every 48 hours?
Or is this good?

Thanks again,
Melody

Old May 20th 04, 03:02 PM
JoFromOz

Any uterine surgery carries a risk of perforating the uterus, but the
scraping of the uterine lining can cause scar tissue. ANY scar tissue on
the uterus increases the risk that the placenta in a subsequent pregnancy
will implant there, and can implant too deeply (accreta, increta, percreta)
causing problems with expelling the placenta later on.

Don't get uterine surgery unless it is necessary - that is, if you are
bleeding too much, or if your body has not been able to expell all
'products of conception'.

But, that all seems highly unlikely - your HCG levels look pretty good!

Good luck.

Jo (RM)

Old May 20th 04, 03:04 PM
JoFromOz

Looks awesome!

Congratulations

Jo (RM)

Old May 20th 04, 03:10 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:27:37 -0400, Melody wrote:

So, on 5/10 it was 9312
5/11 13148
5/19 68500

Shouldn't it be higher than this if it's supposed to double every 48 hours?
Or is this good?

Melody, take it from someone who's BTDT and going through it right now:
you couldn't ask for a better set of numbers. Sit back and try to relax
and enjoy this pregnancy!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (22m)