Finally A Breakthrough....I think :)

Old January 1st 04, 09:35 AM
Mom2Aries

Default Finally A Breakthrough....I think :)

Questions:

1. Which boob do I give him? The one nearest the matress whilst on my side

or the one on top? I have biiiiiiiig boobs so both are feasible I suppose.
Actually could someone describe in detail the nursing whilst laying down
position? Pillow placement, ways to make it more comfortable for me,etc?

I was never comfortable giving the upper breast, so at each switch, we just
roll over. I usually lay on my pillow with my arm under it, bent so that my
elbow is kind of over his head. Then I curl up my legs under him (not under
HIM, but below where he's lying), and usually put the other arm aroudn him.

2. Am I supposed to be burping him? It would defeat the purpose to have to

rouse him from sleep for this?

Breastfed babies don't all have to be burped. They way they nurse makes it
so they swallow less air than with a bottle, so less air bubbles to burp up.
Unless he's complaining, I wouldnt' bother. I don't think I've ever burped
Aries. If he has to burp, he's always done it on his own.

3. Does such a long sucking period harm his palette or mouth formation in

any way?

Nope, actually the way they suck on the breast actually helps it.

4. Could he actually have been getting milk for that long a time or was it

just comfort sucking?

I'd say he eats until hes full then comfort sucks. Or, something no one
else mentioned, he COULD be eating until he's done, letting go, and then
relatching again next time he's hungry... all without you knowing since you
were sound asleep.

5. Is his laying flat on his back with his head turned on its side to my

breast for so long ok for him, will he strain anything?

That's how Aries nurses, usually, sometimes on his side. But he's had no
complaints. He also lets go when he's done eating so he's sleeping on his
back.

6. What are the SIDS stats for nursing like this? He is beneath me in the
sense that my head is on my pillow with my hands tucked under it on my side
and my boob is hanging down so that he, at my stomach level, can latch. I
tried to cradle him in my arms on my side but it seemed impossible. While
this seems like progress, it's not worth it if it could be dangerous.

I personally think that if it were that dangerous, we'd be hearing more
horror stories about it. For the longest time, the only way I was able to
nurse Aries was lying down, and I'd always fall asleep. 11 months later, 11
months of nursing lying down, he's just fine.

Old January 1st 04, 03:46 PM
DARLATHEDOULA

1. Which boob do I give him? The one nearest the matress whilst on my side
or the one on top? I have biiiiiiiig boobs so both are feasible I suppose.
Actually could someone describe in detail the nursing whilst laying down
position? Pillow placement, ways to make it more comfortable for me,etc?

As someone who also has biiiiiiig boobs, I will tell you that I used the lower
boob first and when I got cramped I rolled over slightly and used the upper
boob, lower arm over my head and upper knee bent up to rest on the mattress and
support me. Also, with big boobs it is possible, when he is older (5or 6
months), to nurse while you are laying on your back! I would lay on my back
with my baby on his side and his head on my arm. My breasts fall so far
sideways that the nipple is at the perfect level for him to latch on! I found
that the most comfortable position by far.

Good luck!

Darla
Homeschooling Mom to Freya, Alec, and Kelson!
Wife to Jim.
Read My Waterbirth Story
http://ourworld.cs.com/darlathedoula...ge/family.html

Chemically beating children: THOR to hammer fluoridation finally? Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 18 July 25th 04 05:31 PM
Breakthrough Chickenpox infection... what to expect? Cathy Weeks General 10 June 18th 04 01:33 AM
I'm finally back! laurie General 29 December 10th 03 12:04 AM
I'm finally back! laurie Breastfeeding 6 December 9th 03 03:56 AM
I'm Finally Back!!!!!!!!!! laurie Pregnancy 11 December 4th 03 11:24 PM