10yo birthday party ideas needed

Old September 8th 03, 06:28 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default 10yo birthday party ideas needed

In article ,
Scott Lindstrom wrote:

Her favorite birthday thing to do is a
sleepover. That's a lotta work for a parent though --
and a little shrill, at least for girls. There's usually
take-out pizza and VHS/DVD movie & popcorn involved.

With a mixed-sex, mixed-age group, I'm not up for a
sleepover. Besides, he's still at a stage where
he wants to invite lots of kids rather than a smaller
number of "best friends" which I would insist upon
for a sleepover.

He's coming up with a few ideas of activities he'd like to do,
so we're just going to do whatever mishmash of activities he
manages to come up with

Anyone have a suggestion for an egg-drop like activity that
doesn't actually involve breaking a bunch of eggs? We did
an egg drop at a prior year's "science" party, and he would like
to do one again, but I hate wasting food, and we never did find
a use for all those cracked eggs before we had to just throw
them out.

--Robyn

Old September 9th 03, 04:16 PM
Penny Gaines

Chris Himes wrote in :

Our boys have loved treasure hunts of various kinds. Takes a little
work by the parents, though. We usually hide clues around the yard

One variation of a treasure hunt is to hide lots of letters: kids have to
find them all, and work out what they spell. (At our last party, for 7yos,
the letters spelt 'party'.) You can print them onto card, from a computer.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old September 10th 03, 04:54 PM
Tracey

Banty wrote:

I'll weigh in to say that I had a local pizza parlor do a make-your-own
party for my son's 10 y/o birthday party, and it was a big hit even with
boys a couple of years older.

This is what we are doing for my DD 7th birthday party next month. At first
she wanted a Chuck E Cheese party, but when I found out that a local pizza
place has a make-your-own deal for kids birthdays, she decided that the
pizza would be lots more fun. And I like it too (quieter, plus the pizza
place only charges $3. per child vs. $11.99 a CEC).

Old September 12th 03, 04:14 AM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Chris Himes wrote:
(Robyn Kozierok) wrote in message

Anyone have a suggestion for an egg-drop like activity that
doesn't actually involve breaking a bunch of eggs?

Our school participates in the Science Olympiad and has a big 6th
grade learning fair each year where everyone does some of the
activities. One favorite is "mystery architecture" where you give
groups of 2-3 kids a bag with straws, string, tape, some index cards,
and they have to make the tallest tower that will hold a tennis ball
at the top. Another is a balloon race, I've forgotten the exact
rules, but you have helium balloons and you tie weight to the strings,
the goal is to have your balloon reach the ceiling in the slowest
time. You could do an "egg lift" instead of an "egg drop"--make
something for the balloons to carry the eggs aloft.

Thanks, those are cool ideas! Just what I was looking for.

--Robyn

Old September 12th 03, 03:05 PM
Chris Smith

Chris Himes wrote:
Our school participates in the Science Olympiad and has a big 6th
grade learning fair each year where everyone does some of the
activities. One favorite is "mystery architecture" where you give
groups of 2-3 kids a bag with straws, string, tape, some index cards,
and they have to make the tallest tower that will hold a tennis ball
at the top. Another is a balloon race, I've forgotten the exact
rules, but you have helium balloons and you tie weight to the strings,
the goal is to have your balloon reach the ceiling in the slowest
time. You could do an "egg lift" instead of an "egg drop"--make
something for the balloons to carry the eggs aloft.

Hey, that's neat! I coach that activity for a homeschool support group
in town. Unfortunately, both of those two events (Mystery Arch and
Balloon Race) are gone this year. I really liked both of them.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation