Forbidden foods

Old June 26th 06, 06:15 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Forbidden foods

Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?

I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!
Old June 26th 06, 06:44 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Make some yourself That way you know that the meat is heated up really
really well before you eat it

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
"I'm a big girl cause I go to school kindy"

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
Took her first steps on her 1st Birthday.

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old June 26th 06, 07:04 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

As long as you make sure they're heated up really well, they should be okay
in moderation. I had a craving for grilled hot dogs and potato salad a few
months ago and didn't deprive myself.

Old June 26th 06, 10:36 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Denise~*" wrote in message

Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?

I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!

if you satisfied that craving every day, then i'd be worrying, but once or
twice? go for it. in my opinion anyway. Hot dogs wont kill anyone, not
like listeria.

but yeah, heat it up up up as the others suggest

chris

Old June 26th 06, 10:46 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?

I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!

It would never occur to me not to eat a hot dog, I'm presuming the reason
why you've been told not to is incase the meat isn't fully cooked? which I
suppose would then be a listeria and/or toxoplasmosis risk. I'd go ahead,
make them yourself if you can, or use a reliable vendor. Funnily enough I
also had hot dog cravings, I made them at home a few times, or used one
stand that is outside our church so we use them fairly frequently and have
never had a problem, they have always been piping hot and cooked through.

Cheers

Anne

Old June 26th 06, 01:16 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Nina Pretty Ballerina wrote:
"Denise~*" wrote in message
Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?

I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!

if you satisfied that craving every day, then i'd be worrying, but once or
twice? go for it. in my opinion anyway. Hot dogs wont kill anyone, not
like listeria.

Um, the main reason hot dogs are cautioned against
*is* listeria. I mean, we all know they're not exactly
health food, but they're not so bad healthwise as to
recommend completely abstaining. However, as others have said,
if you make it yourself and cook it thoroughly, the listeria
risk is minimal.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old June 26th 06, 01:27 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

. ..
"Denise~*" wrote in message
Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?

I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!

if you satisfied that craving every day, then i'd be worrying, but once
or twice? go for it. in my opinion anyway. Hot dogs wont kill anyone,
not like listeria.

Um, the main reason hot dogs are cautioned against
*is* listeria. I mean, we all know they're not exactly
health food, but they're not so bad healthwise as to
recommend completely abstaining. However, as others have said,
if you make it yourself and cook it thoroughly, the listeria
risk is minimal.

Best wishes,
Ericka

there you go, i thought it was the excessive nitrites used in smoking meat
and meat products.

lucky for me i am not a big hot dog eater, and lucky for the OP plenty or
people read and answered her post

Old June 26th 06, 03:13 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

When I was pregnant with DD I craved them but they had to be raw so had to
limit myself to 1 or 2 hot dogs a week if that. Thank goodness that craving
passed.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03
Alex 6/4/05

Old June 26th 06, 05:58 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Denise~*" wrote in message
Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?

I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!
if you satisfied that craving every day, then i'd be worrying, but once
or twice? go for it. in my opinion anyway. Hot dogs wont kill anyone,
not like listeria.

Um, the main reason hot dogs are cautioned against
*is* listeria. I mean, we all know they're not exactly
health food, but they're not so bad healthwise as to
recommend completely abstaining. However, as others have said,
if you make it yourself and cook it thoroughly, the listeria
risk is minimal.

there you go, i thought it was the excessive nitrites used in smoking meat
and meat products.

That's definitely a factor in suggesting that they're
not particularly healthy foods and should be eaten in moderation,
if at all. It's just that what gets them on some 'banned foods'
lists for pregnancy is the listeria risk, as with all deli
meats, especially if you're getting them from somewhere that
you can't guarantee they've been handled and cooked properly.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old June 26th 06, 06:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

They do make nitrite- free hotdogs- can't remember the brand name, but
I got some once at Central Market (TX store- branch of HEB) when I was
craving them with DD. That said, I doubt a small amount of nitrite
now and then can hurt much.

JJ