Tortured kids of America cry out for lifeline

Old December 5th 07, 01:14 AM posted to alt.guitar,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.drugs.hard,rec.music.gdead,misc.kids

Default Tortured kids of America cry out for lifeline

fx wrote:

Nov. 17, 2007 12:00 AM
We now know why 12-year-old Trenay Duchane was beaten, scalded and left
to die on her bedroom floor.

She didn't clean her room.

We now know why Treshae Duchane was left for days in that one-bedroom
apartment with her sister's body, injured and traumatized beyond
anything most of us can imagine.

Daddy just didn't give a damn.

Daddy isn't alone.

Fifty children in this state died of abuse in 2005, the last year for
which numbers are available. That's nearly one dead child a week, most
of them not yet 5 years old. The numbers for 2006 should be out any day
now, but I'm confident we'll exceed last year's record. We always do.

Meanwhile, the Legislature convenes in 58 days, with a $600 million
deficit and a crying need for do far more - not less - to protect kids.

Heavy emphasis on the word: crying.

"It's one of the worst cases of homicide that I've ever been involved
with," said Phoenix Sgt. Andy Hill, a cop for 24 years.

According to court records, Trenay evidently angered her "stepmother,"
25-year-old Reiko Troupe on Nov. 6 because the girl didn't clean her
room. So, of course, Troupe ordered the girl into the tub and turned on
the hot water.

Nine-year-old Treshae would later tell police that she heard her sister
screaming that day as she scrambled to escape the scalding water. She
said Troupe then whipped the girl with an electrical cord (and a
broomstick, according to police) and trapped her against the wall,
punching her in the face until she passed out.

Meanwhile, Daddy comes home, finds his daughter dead or dying and does,
well, nothing. For the next few days, Jeffery Duchane, 34, would go to
work, leaving Treshae with the body of her sister. (Troupe had by then
departed.) On Nov. 10, he finally called police. This, because his
daughter's body was beginning to smell.

Police found Trenay dead and Treshae cowering in the shower, nursing
bruises, burns and a broken arm. That's on the outside. The most
devastating injuries are often the ones that can't be seen.

We don't yet know whether we could have done something to protect Trenay
and Treshae. A Child Protective Services spokeswoman said the agency had
no reports that Duchane or Troupe had abused the girls but added that a
summary of its involvement with Trenay will be released in a week or two.

What we do know is that the Legislature soon will return to the Capitol,
where our leaders will see a long-overdue proposal to make CPS more
transparent and therefore more accountable for what it does - and
doesn't do. Along with that should come more money so that this
shamefully underfunded agency can do a better job.

That'll be a tough sell in a tight-budget year. It shouldn't be. All
they need to do is remember Trenay, gone now, and her 9-year-old sister,
left to live with unspeakable memories.

And 4-year-old Ariana Payne, her battered body found in February,
stuffed into a storage tub. And Ariana's brother Tyler, 5, whose body is
believed to be out there somewhere, in a landfill.

All they need do is remember 5-year-old Brandon Williams, beaten to
death in March, and Gregory Friederich, who died in August at the ripe
old age of 2 months, having endured a fractured skull, two broken ribs
and a lacerated liver. And Chloe Chance, 3, killed in January.

All they need to do ask for a picture of 4-month-old Daniel Bechtel,
found dead in a baby swing in April. At 4 pounds, little Daniel looked
as if he'd endured the Holocaust.

In truth, he'd just endured life as a child in America.

That's Bush for you. No Child Left Behind, indeed.
--
Rob Cypher
robcypher.livejournal.com