teens and work...

Old March 10th 04, 02:45 AM
Kim

Default teens and work...

"LipGloss" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
He needs to realize he's almost an adult...most people don't WANT to

work...we have to in order to survive. If you don't get this point across,
he'll be one of those 30 year old men that still lives with Mom. And a good
idea when he turns 18, is to charge a little rent, to give him a feel of
what the real world is like.

Actually we had a bit of miscommunication... Turns out he DID want to work
he was AFRAID to... He didn't want the responsibility of handling some
conglomerates cash... He has an interview tomorrow with a local grocery
store as a stock boy... He has already offered me half his paycheck if he
gets the job LOL which I said I'd rather see him bank So now we are
arguing on that point LOL if it's not one thing it's another... It might
come to the point where I will just take the money and put it in his bank
account for him...

Thanks for all the words of wisdom... Keep those fingers crossed

Old March 10th 04, 12:38 PM
Tiffany

Kim wrote in message
. ..

"LipGloss" wrote in message
[...]

You guys must like to argue. Just take half the money and put it in an
account, like you said. I know a lot of parents that do that and when the
kid comes to moving out, they say... look.... MONEY, and it was all yours to
begin with.

Old April 2nd 04, 06:46 PM
dolores

"lm" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 01:28:32 -0400, "Kim"
wrote:

Seriously no there isn't a medical reason he doesn't 'want to' I almost

wish
there was

Honestly Kim, it sounds to me like just a little bit of immaturity. He
sounds like a great kid otherwise, we can't make them like the things
we like, and he'll come 'round to it eventually. He'll probably hate
his first couple of jobs (which he'll take out of necessity rather
than choice), and after it dawns on him that he's going to "have to"
work, *that* will be the point you can get him thinking about the kind
of work he might *want* to do.

lm

LOLOL......I'm 39 and still think "work" is a dirty word. I've definitely
got the lazy gene.

I'd be inclined to let him be for while. If this has been a major topic for
a while then he's probably just plain sick of hearing the same 'ol same 'ol.
And anyway, 17 is still pretty young really when you think of it. Tis like
the nappy and dummy thing when they are babies.....you think they'll never
get out of them and fret and panic.........but how many 10 year olds wear
nappies or use a feeding bottle.......

Give him some space and he'll get there in time.....make too much of an
issue and he'll just make an uphill battle of it..........If he really is a
lazy sod, then you're wasting your time and energy anyway....there's not a
lot you can do to change him.......and wearing yourself out is'nt going to
do you any good......he's going to need a wake up call that life will
invariably provide.

Anyway.....my tuppence worth.....for what it's worth, specially considering
my lads are still only 14 and 12...(who at this minute are cooking dinner,
while I try and muster the energy to get in the shower.......now *that's*
lazy...lolol).

Dolores