Sunday Papers

Old June 7th 04, 02:04 PM
denanson

Default Sunday Papers

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/print...102285,00.html

Exam fears driving teenagers to Prozac

Mark Townsend
Sunday June 6, 2004

The Observer

The number of teenagers relying on drugs such as Prozac to see them through
GCSEs and A-levels has soared, with prescriptions reaching 140,000 in less
than a decade.
The figures have alarmed experts so much they have demanded an urgent
investigation to explain why so many pupils are prescribed drugs instead of
being offered counselling or therapy.

The revelation coincides with fresh allegations that drug companies have
been exaggerating the benefits of anti-depressants for teenagers. Mental
health charities claim they may cause more harm than good.

The statistics - from the government's drugs watchdog, the MHRA - also
highlight the pressure being put on students by the exams system. They show
that, in 1995, 46,000 anti-depressants prescriptions were given to teenagers
between 16 and 18 in full-time education. By last year this had risen to
140,000, more than treble the amount.

There has also been a rise of almost 50 per cent in the amount of so-called
'happy drugs' - such as Prozac and Seroxat - dispensed to youngsters under
16. Since 1996, the figure has risen from 76,000 prescriptions to 110,000,
although the total could be higher because prescriptions from private
doctors and those given to hospital patients are not included.

Using the new data, David Healy, director of the University of Wales
department of psychological medicine, calculated that as many as 100,000
under-18s have been given drugs, three times the number government advisers
have admitted. 'We are talking about people who have committed suicide who
didn't need to,' Healy said.

The Department of Health admitted last night it had no idea how many
children were taking psychiatric drugs. In the past year ministers have
banned the majority of anti-depressants for under 18s, with the notable
exception of Prozac.

Thousands of children have been prescribed Seroxat in Britain and, even
though a number have committed suicide while using the drug, the Seroxat
Users' Group claims it is still being prescribed to youngsters.

The drug's maker, GlaxoSmithKline, is facing charges in the US that it
suppressed information that Seroxat can cause suicidal behaviour among
teenagers. It denies the accusations.

This summer's GCSE candidates will be sitting their fourth set of national
tests in nine years at a time when pressure to succeed has never been
greater. David Cotterill, professor of child and adolescent mental health at
the University of Leeds, says: 'My impression is that there are a lot more
exams in the system. These days the system is more public and there is a
pressure to perform that there didn't used to be.'

Recently, four out of five British GPs admitted over-prescribing Prozac and
similar drugs to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.

However, in April the medical journal The Lancet published research
suggesting the benefits of anti-depressants outweighed the risks. In a
strong editorial, it condemned research in the area, saying it had been
blighted by 'manipulation and institutional failure'.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2004

Old June 7th 04, 03:13 PM
Tiffany

"denanson" Dennis@Large .ie wrote in message
[...]

As always you post an interesting article. It is not totally unusual for a
drug company to manipulate the public and doctors in this country. After the
death of my daughter's father, his mother was reviewing his list of meds. He
was on neurontin. After research, we discovered the medication was in the
mist of a big lawsuit as the makers of the medication had its sale reps
selling it to doctors for use for unresearched health issues. There is also
some controversy over the fact that some have found it made them suicidal.
Listed in the Pill Book and on websites.... "In studies, a small number of
people died suddenly while taking gabaspentin (neurontin). It is not known
if these deaths were caused by the drug." Do you think the doctor's tell
their patients this tidbit of information? Nah. I highly suggest to my
clients and anyone out there to check into the meds they are prescribed
BEFORE taking them. I hate to say it but it is my opinion that the doctor
may not be aware of things and/or as it is in their scope of practice to
prescribe meds, they don't see anything wrong.

As for the hike in prescribed anti-depressants..... even in teens.... we are
in a society that is looking for a quick fix. Though I know that those meds
CAN help, what helps the most in the long run in therapy in one form or
another. When someone tells me they are on anti-depressants, I like to ask
them how long they have been on the med. Sometimes its years. But they are
still depressed. Think about it.

Old June 7th 04, 03:58 PM
Joelle

Though I know that those meds
CAN help, what helps the most in the long run in therapy in one form or
another

Actually studies show that what works best is a combination of medication and
therapy--they recently completed a study on teens and found the same result-
therapy plus medication works better than either alone.

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle
Old June 8th 04, 11:59 AM
Moon Shyne

"Tiffany" wrote in message

"denanson" Dennis@Large .ie wrote in message
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/print...102285,00.html

snip

As for the hike in prescribed anti-depressants..... even in teens.... we are
in a society that is looking for a quick fix. Though I know that those meds
CAN help, what helps the most in the long run in therapy in one form or
another. When someone tells me they are on anti-depressants, I like to ask
them how long they have been on the med. Sometimes its years. But they are
still depressed. Think about it.

In many cases, depression is caused by a chemical imbalance that requires
on-going drug therapy, in exactly the same way that diabetics need to keep
taking insulin on an on-going basis to stay healthy. My mom has been on
Parkinson's meds for years - yet she still has Parkinson's, and it continues to
affect her more and more over time. Taking her meds hasn't made the disease
magically go away.

When you ask someone how long they've been on a med, do you also ask them if
they're depressed? Or is this simply a determination that you make on your own?
How do you, or the person taking the meds, quantify the depression?

Old June 8th 04, 01:11 PM
lm

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:13:01 -0400, "Tiffany"
wrote:

[...]

Depression can sometimes be triggered by life events, in which case a
course of meds for only a few months might do the trick, but talk
therapy will have a more lasting effect. Sometimes, however,
depression is chronic, and for those who suffer from it, no amount of
therapy is going to help. It's a chronic medical condition. Think
about it.

Also keep in mind that as hormone levels and other physical conditions
fluctuate, so too does the body's use of anti-depression meds, so
someone can be on meds for a year or even more before they get the
right balance, and then the adjustments begin. It's an ongoing
struggle.

For teenagers, CBT has had some very positive results, but its leading
practitioners do not advocate its use in lieu of meds, but rather in
conjunction with necessary meds. Bear in mind that the teenagers who
are prescribed anti-depression meds are *depressed,* and that the
highest suicide rates have always been among teenagers. A depressed
teenager is high risk from the start.

Having said all that, the other side of the coin is my partner's
recent experience. He went in for a routine physical and responded
"yes" to a question about trouble sleeping. He's always been a light
sleeper. The doc suggested that maybe he was depressed, and offered
him some free samples of an anti-depressant. That's irresponsible
medicine IMO.

lm
Old June 8th 04, 01:39 PM
Lisa

"'Kate" wrote in message
I thought they outlawed anti-depressant use by teens in the UK.

'Kate

Well, that would be just plain ridiculous if they did. There has been alot
of info released over the last 6 months regarding these latest findings. It
is primarily the SSRI's, which were never intended for use in
children(teens) that are subject to this study. Improperly prescribed meds
will **** anybody up, it's not wonder that there has been a detriment for
children.

Lisa

Old June 8th 04, 01:44 PM
Lisa

wrote:

[...]

I agree, very irresponsible.

Old June 8th 04, 02:24 PM
Lisa

Default Sunday Papers and.......how was Italy??

Welcome back Joelle! How was the trip? Tell us all about it!!

Lisa

Old June 8th 04, 02:59 PM
Tiffany

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Tiffany" wrote in message

[...]

But the sysmthoms go away or improve. My point is those on the drugs but are
still depressed.

When you ask someone how long they've been on a med, do you also ask them

if
they're depressed? Or is this simply a determination that you make on

your own?
How do you, or the person taking the meds, quantify the depression?

Moon, they tell me they are depressed. I do not make medical diagnoses. What
do you mean how does one qualify the depression? If they have been properly
diagnosed, they know there is a list of questions a doctor should ask.
Depending on the patient answers, the doctor will make a diagnose. This is
in regards to depression, not more severe issues like bi-polar. People will
typically know when they are depressed.

Yes, depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance. What promotes that
imbalance? Heredity? Learned behavior? Trauma? All the above. Folks that
tend to be depressed and stay depressed years after being on a med typically
are so because they for whatever reason, have not dealt with the cause of
the depression. There in lies the point Joelle made and a very good point it
is. People come to their own realization in their own time. What it sounds
like you are saying is it is caused by a chemical imbalance which won't go
so a patient needs to stay on the drugs just like a diabetic. That is bull
****. Those cases are like I just stated are the ones that won't deal with
WHY they are depressed.