Long time, no post...

Old January 31st 05, 12:01 PM
Moon Shyne

"'Kate" wrote in message
You know what I love most? Misspelling the subject line. :-)

Of course - and anyone who pointed it out would have been guilty of a lame
spelling flame :-)

If you belong to the Y, some classes you might want to look into (Assuming

that
the Y's all have approximately the same programs available)

Pilates and Flexlates - these work flexibility, and core strength

(translation
abdomoinals)
Scult & Stretch, which used to be called Pump-It - weight training class, but
you can start with really light weights - this will take care of things like
those wobbly tricepts (I have muscles there now), biceps, quads (front of
thighs), hamstrings (back of thighs)

I'm very happy with the 45 minute weight circuit & 20 to 30 minutes of
cycling. It seems to fit my time. I may change up and do the
elliptical (which I hate 'cause I don't seem to be coordinated).. it
seems less hard on the back. I'm still recovering from a subluxated
L4. I was not a pretty sight last October, November, and December, let
me tell you.

If they have any BOSU classes, try them - BOSU is like 1/2 of one of those

big
exercise balls on a platform - and you use that instead of a step for some

step
aerobics type stuff - my Y offers BOSU Cardio and BOSU Fusion (strength
training), either way, keeping your balance on the BOSU is great for that

core
again (translation abdominals)

you realize that I am 46, right? The only thing I want to see using a
a ball and a platform also involves a circus tent and elephant.

G And I'll be 47 in 2-1/2 months, with titanium holding my neck together
where they removed the disc between c5 and c6... you're only as old as when you
stopped counting (isn't that how it works?)

When I first started at the Y, I took one class a week - HABIT (hips, abs,

butt
and intense thighs). Another 3 days a week I'd use the machines -

elliptical,
stair stepper, the weight machines up in the weight room..... gradually I

added
more classes so that by now, I take 5-8 classes per week. My daughter joins

me
for the ones she likes, my son plays basketball with his friends, so it's

mostly
a family thing, which strengthens our family.

My Y has rock walls for the kids and a confidence course. But, my
darlings haven't decided to join me yet.

Mine didn't either, for the longest time - though our Y has teen nights, split
for 5-6 grade, then 7-8 grade - and my kids are in 5 and 8, so it was a fun
thing to do.

As for the quitting? It was actually far easier than I had hoped for

(ducking
so no one throws things at me).

No... not at all. Good for you! You were, obviously, ready and
determined to stay quit. Keep it up! You're an inspiration for those
of us who are only slightly behind at 5 months, 2 weeks and a few
days.

LOL NO NO NO NO NO!! I don't want the responsibility of being an
inspiration...... what happens if I start again!!!!

Keep it up though, you're over the worst part...... I think for me, the one
remaining thing is when I think "Gee, 1 wouldn't hurt"..... and I have to remind
myself that yes, it would

Finding out your kid is allergic is probably the strongest deterrant to
un-quitting......

And with all the other stuff going with your family, you sure don't
need to add sick kids to the list or COPD. It'd make things so much
harder. Congratulations again and thanks for the run down of classes
to look out for. I think I'll skip the ball platform thing but I will
consider changing my cardio.

Well...... specially if you're quitting...... you need to get your lungs clear,
your heart working well........ it was very cool when I had to have the doctor
take a look at my injured hand......... they said I had the pulse of a
runner.......

Me. Who used to smoke a pack a day for something like 30 years.

Hang in there....... we're getting better and better every day!

'Kate

Old February 3rd 05, 08:28 PM
denanson

"Alex" wrote in message

I met this wonderful woman about 2 years ago and we are getting married
soon. She has no kids but does want at least one..soooo, about 3 hours in
surgery

Why not adopt? sperm bank? foster?
What will the age gap be? My boys are now 30, 29 and 9!
Congratulations on the forthcoming marraige!

Dennis

Old February 3rd 05, 08:33 PM
denanson

"Alex" wrote in message

So why the return? Nostalgia? or are you looking for advice?

A little of both I suppose. Being a single parent in a state where 99% of
SPs are mothers makes me yearn for the days where I
could actually talk to other single fathers about real issues.

That is the main reason I am still around. This was the only place I could
get to swap notes with other fathers. Not so many around these days though.
The two Pauls and that is about it and one of them is geting married later
this year.

Dennis

misc.kids FAQ on Good things about having kids [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 June 28th 04 07:42 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
Birth story: very late and *extremely* long Sidheag McCormack Pregnancy 14 December 13th 03 08:37 PM
Kids should work. ChrisScaife Foster Parents 16 December 7th 03 04:27 AM