Question

Old August 4th 06, 01:58 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

Default Question

Do you think a 2 1/2 year old should be able to say no to wearing
earings? 2 1/2 yr. old girl.:-)

Old August 4th 06, 02:10 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Moon Shyne

"Bev" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you think a 2 1/2 year old should be able to say no to wearing
earings? 2 1/2 yr. old girl.:-)

Why not? At some point, she is going to be her very own person, with her
very own preferences and tastes - better to practice now, while she has mom
and/or dad to assist in the learning process.

Something about choosing one's fights carefully........ earrings isn't the
one to wage war over.

Old August 4th 06, 02:27 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

Moon Shyne wrote:
"Bev" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you think a 2 1/2 year old should be able to say no to wearing
earings? 2 1/2 yr. old girl.:-)

Why not? At some point, she is going to be her very own person, with her
very own preferences and tastes - better to practice now, while she has mom
and/or dad to assist in the learning process.

Something about choosing one's fights carefully........ earrings isn't the
one to wage war over.

Thanks Moon........I share your opinion of it. My grand daughters
paternal grandmother had her ears pierced when she was like 4 months
old, and J has worn them since then. Recently she asked her mom to
remove them, so her mother did. Now the woman is constantly trying to
convince J to put them back in and the child is adament "No"
............"but your ears will close" ............"So, I dont want
them"

Now she has asked to have the earings, which makes me afraid she will
force J to wear them. We put them in a ring box and gave them to her
and sure enough she questioned J about putting them in again! How many
times does this child have to say No ?
I want to tell her "they are your ears and if you dont want earings in
them you dont have to have them in" but I think I'll just let her have
this argument with her other grandma and see who wins....I'm bettin on
J though... she is one tough cookie to break ! LOL!

Old August 4th 06, 01:53 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Tiffany

"Bev" wrote in message
ups.com...

Moon Shyne wrote:
"Bev" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

They shouldn't have been pierced to begin with. Of course she shouldn't HAVE
to wear them. Good for her to say no. I hope she throws a major temper
tantrum about it and annoys the hell out of Grandma. (No you, the other
grandma!)

Old August 4th 06, 02:59 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

Tiffany wrote:
"Bev" wrote in message
ups.com...

Moon Shyne wrote:
"Bev" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hi Tiff....you make another point that I happen to agree with "they
should'nt have been pierced to begin with" My feelings are , as were
with my own daughters was when they were old enough to ask to have them
done then o.k. Both my daughters wanted thier ears pierced between 5-7
years old ( been a while to remember exact ages). I remember my oldest
having to be bribed with a barbie doll to get the second ear done
because after the first was done she said......... uh no way! 20 years
ago they hadn't figured out to do both at the same time lol! I still do
not have mine pierced, never wanted pierced ears or anything else for
that matter. Both my girls have ears and then some pierced.

I have witnessed J letting her other grandma know exactly how she feels
in the past so I am confident she is giving her the what for and how
come on this as well smile

Old August 4th 06, 04:39 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

'Kate wrote:
On 3 Aug 2006 17:58:21 -0700, "Bev" the
following was posted in blue dry erase marker:

Do you think a 2 1/2 year old should be able to say no to wearing
earings? 2 1/2 yr. old girl.:-)

Eeek... I dunno. My kids didn't have pierced ears until they were old
enough to decide that for themselves. It became a 13 year old birthday
ritual. You know, welcome to teen-hood.... OUCH.

Yea I waited for mine to ask........remember when S was sticking safety
pins in her eyebrow and naval when she was like 14? At 19 she has
unmentionables done now ,
all I know is not my cup a tea! YIKES!!!!!!!!

Old August 4th 06, 08:02 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
xkatx

"Bev" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tiffany wrote:
"Bev" wrote in message
ups.com...

Moon Shyne wrote:
"Bev" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That's exactly how I feel as well. Old enough to ask, old enough to want,
old enough to get.
I think I was about 11ish when I wanted mine done. My mom did not like the
idea (she does not have pierced ears or anything, for that matter) and it
was actually my aunt that sided with me, and after a tae kwon do promotion
test, my mom agreed and she and my aunt took me. I don't agree with
piercing babies' ears. Alright, it's not totally permanent, and holes do
close up, but I don't see the point. That's one thing I would never even
consider with A, but come the time when she's older, if she asks and
actually wants, I don't think I would disagree!

Old August 4th 06, 10:43 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Moon Shyne

"Tiffany" wrote in message

"Bev" wrote in message
ups.com...

Moon Shyne wrote:
"Bev" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Why shouldn't they have been pierced to begin with? I got my daughter's
ears pierced when she was 18 months - they healed up great because she was
pretty unaware of them and didn't play with them.

Old August 5th 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

Moon Shyne wrote:
"Tiffany" wrote in message
> [...]

"Bev" wrote in message
ups.com...

Moon Shyne wrote:
"Bev" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I myself have always felt it should be a persons own choice. I know
there are many parents that get thier infant daughters ears pierced
heck I have even seen parents of infant sons piercing thier ear , I
personally chose to let my own decide for themselves. Apparently my
granddaughter prefers not to have them and now that she is old enough
to object she is. I voiced my opinion to her mother who chose to be a
part of the piercing and I respected that then .I'm not so sure we as
parents should be making these kinds of decisions for our children
before they are old enough to choose for themselves.

Old August 5th 06, 02:43 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Mike

Wow... 2 1/2 years old, with earrings? For being young, I sure feel behind
the times.

Well, I have 2 sons, so I can't really offer any advice. But my 6 year old
son is definitely *not* getting an earring any time soon.

Mike