Question about child support

Old May 3rd 07, 11:20 PM posted to alt.child-support
Laura

Default Question about child support

My husband has been paying child support around the first of the month
for the whole month for the last 4 yrs. to his ex. Circumstances are now
that it has to be paid a week in advance and not the whole month in
advance, is it ok to do this? Who do I contact to ask? She's already
called my husband twice today and laid a guilt trip on him suggesting
the kids will be doing w/o necessities because of it... which is b.s
since her income went from approx. $1100.00 clear a month 4 yrs ago up
until 6 months ago to approx. $2,700.00 a month clear now. We pay
$570.00 a month in c.s. The kids have a medical card and free meals at
school.

Thanks

Old May 4th 07, 12:05 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"Laura" wrote in message

My husband has been paying child support around the first of the month
for the whole month for the last 4 yrs. to his ex. Circumstances are now
that it has to be paid a week in advance and not the whole month in
advance, is it ok to do this? Who do I contact to ask? She's already
called my husband twice today and laid a guilt trip on him suggesting
the kids will be doing w/o necessities because of it... which is b.s
since her income went from approx. $1100.00 clear a month 4 yrs ago up
until 6 months ago to approx. $2,700.00 a month clear now. We pay
$570.00 a month in c.s. The kids have a medical card and free meals at
school.

Thanks

I don't recall whether you have a court order or a private agreement.

If it is a court order, most states have administrative rules that define CS
payments as accruing on the first day of the month and as long as that
amount is paid by the end of the month it is considered to be paid on time.
On minor exception to this rule is when paydays are every two weeks. In
those cases the rules allow for 2/26th of the CS amount to accrue each
calendar month.

To determine the rules for your state go to the state's CSE web site and
look for a link to administrative rules. I doubt they will vary much for
what I posted above.

There is a flip side to this issue you may not have considered. A CP can
hold the CS checks and not cash them, and then claim non-receipt of the CS
to give an NCP all kinds of grief. State laws say a payment is not
satisfied by sending a check. The check has to be cashed before payments
are technically made. If you have a private agreement the mother can play
games by not depositing the checks and force payroll garnishment to be
imposed through several legal processes.

Old May 4th 07, 02:27 AM posted to alt.child-support
Relayer

On May 3, 6:05�pm, "Bob Whiteside" wrote:

[...]

AND..then cashing the check..so make sure you stop pay

Old May 4th 07, 02:30 AM posted to alt.child-support
Laura

In SD all CS is sent to a city here and they send the CP a check from
them. We send the state a check and they send her a check. The agreement
is court ordered and there were no stipulations how it should be paid
monthly. Thanks for the info Bob!

Old May 4th 07, 05:42 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"Laura" wrote in message

In SD all CS is sent to a city here and they send the CP a check from
them. We send the state a check and they send her a check. The agreement
is court ordered and there were no stipulations how it should be paid
monthly. Thanks for the info Bob!

Then I'd tell the ex-wife to stop harassing you and your husband and seek a
remedy from the state for her grievances. She'll find out very fast her
complaints have no merit.

Old May 4th 07, 03:25 PM posted to alt.child-support
Chris

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message

"Laura" wrote in message

[...]

Which makes you wonder how the children survive while waiting for the money.
Since the cash is paid in arrears, however are those poor little children
gonna live in the meantime?