Valium and labour

Old May 25th 04, 09:47 PM
Rosie

Default Valium and labour

Hello MKPers!

Been a long time since I was here!

I have been wondering latey about drugs in labour as I am thinking about TTC
no.2 in the next few months. Why don't they give valium during labour?
Wouldn't it be less severe than pethidine? I used to take it when I had
panic attacks and I LOVED it. I think it would be really helpful for me
during labour, as I really panicked during labour 1 (despite a bloody
expensive course of hynotherapy)

Thanks!
ROSIE
Mum to Ella, 20 months

Old May 25th 04, 10:01 PM
Nan

On Tue, 25 May 2004 21:47:02 +0100, "Rosie" wrote:

Hello MKPers!

Been a long time since I was here!

I have been wondering latey about drugs in labour as I am thinking about TTC
no.2 in the next few months. Why don't they give valium during labour?
Wouldn't it be less severe than pethidine? I used to take it when I had
panic attacks and I LOVED it. I think it would be really helpful for me
during labour, as I really panicked during labour 1 (despite a bloody
expensive course of hynotherapy)

Your OB just might, if you request it. My OB gave me a dose of
Restoril (Temazepam) on night one of my 2-1/2 day labor, so I could
relax and get some sleep. We'd hoped that relaxation would help my
dilation, but it only helped me sleep. I needed the sleep as well,
but not dilating wasn't good ;-)

Nan
Old May 25th 04, 11:28 PM
Daye

On Tue, 25 May 2004 21:47:02 +0100, "Rosie" wrote:

Why don't they give valium during labour?

When I had severe PE, they gave me valium to help me get some sleep,
but I was NOT in labour.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold
Old May 26th 04, 01:54 AM
Unadulterated Me

Rosie wrote:

Hello MKPers!

Been a long time since I was here!

I have been wondering latey about drugs in labour as I am thinking about TTC
no.2 in the next few months. Why don't they give valium during labour?

Not sure, at a guess it is because it would likely sedate you and you
loose that chemical feedback that keeps labour progressing well, a bit
like a chemical lobotomy. But it may also may cross the placenta more
easily and effect the baby. I don't know though I've never really looked
at valium as it's not often used in childbirth.

Andrea
Old May 26th 04, 02:31 AM
laurie

Valium is WAY too long acting to use in labor. Another benzodiazepine they may
use, but I highly doubt they'd use that one.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 3 years
Christopher, 13 months
Old May 26th 04, 06:29 AM
Naomi Rivkis

On Tue, 25 May 2004 21:47:02 +0100, "Rosie" wrote:

Hello MKPers!

Been a long time since I was here!

I have been wondering latey about drugs in labour as I am thinking about TTC
no.2 in the next few months. Why don't they give valium during labour?
Wouldn't it be less severe than pethidine? I used to take it when I had
panic attacks and I LOVED it. I think it would be really helpful for me
during labour, as I really panicked during labour 1 (despite a bloody
expensive course of hynotherapy)

I had Ativan during labor to help control the manic side of
manic-depression, which for me is often triggered by pain and lack of
sleep. They think it had something to do with Grace's difficulty
breathing in the first hour or so after birth. Ativan is a close
relative of Valium, but not quite as intense. I wouldn't risk Valium,
and I probably won't risk Ativan again unless I'm really presenting a
behavioral risk to myself and the baby (by not being able to stop
throwing myself at walls or something).

N.