Newborn checkup

Old May 23rd 04, 08:53 PM
Angela Schepers

Default Newborn checkup

Quinn, DH, and I went to the doctor for his 2 week checkup last friday.

He weighed in a 9 lbs even, after being born at 8lbs 1oz but left the
hospital at 7lbs 14 oz and grew from 19.5 inches to 20 inches. That
seems like a lot to me but I guess that means he's just growing like
crazy and definately getting enough to eat. He's got a ravenous
appetite that's for sure! He consumes 4oz of breastmilk every 2-4
hours. They did another heel stick for a 2nd PKU test. I know that the
hospital did one while we were there but because it takes 3 weeks to get
the results back and his checkup was at 2 weeks they have to do another
at the doctors office? Does this make sense to anyone? I'm not sure I
get it. He checked out perfectly fine.

We had to take off his outfit and diaper to get him weighed before the
doctor saw him. DH picked him up off the scale after his weight was
taken, screaming the whole time might I add, and he then decided to
urinate all over the front of his daddy's shirt. *sigh* He has a habit
of wanting to urinate during diaper and clothing changes. DH and I are
getting good at changing them out quickly and spot scrubbing the carpet
and our clothing with efficiency.

We had our first trip to the grocery store yesterday. He slept through
it pretty well for the first 40 minutes or so and then woke up and got
fussy so I had to carry him in my arms for the rest of the time. By the
time Quinn becomes a toddler between carrying, holding, and burping him
I'm going to have arms of steel!

So the first week home was very difficult for DH and I. I don't know
what either one of us expected but I don't think we expected it to be as
hard for us as it was but we've finally settled in here. Needless to
say I'm feeling confident that I can take care of Quinn by myself
without DH here. I didn't feel that way a week ago that's for sure and
I'm glad we're much more comfortable because DH goes back to work full
time starting tomorrow. I feel like I'm finally beginning to hit my
stride and am beginning to enjoy being a mom.

Angela
DS-Quinn Alexander 5/07/04

Old May 23rd 04, 09:32 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Angela Schepers wrote:

Quinn, DH, and I went to the doctor for his 2 week checkup last friday.
He weighed in a 9 lbs even, after being born at 8lbs 1oz but left the
hospital at 7lbs 14 oz and grew from 19.5 inches to 20 inches. That
seems like a lot to me but I guess that means he's just growing like
crazy and definately getting enough to eat. He's got a ravenous
appetite that's for sure! He consumes 4oz of breastmilk every 2-4
hours. They did another heel stick for a 2nd PKU test. I know that the
hospital did one while we were there but because it takes 3 weeks to get
the results back and his checkup was at 2 weeks they have to do another
at the doctors office? Does this make sense to anyone? I'm not sure I
get it. He checked out perfectly fine.

They often do it because the one they do in the hospital
is usually done too early to be as effective as it should be.
They do it then because they've got you there, but it really
should be done a bit later. Apparently, when the first is
done early, the second can sometimes catch something overlooked
by the first.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 25th 04, 05:49 AM
H Schinske

Angela ) wrote:

They did another heel stick for a 2nd PKU test. I know that the
hospital did one while we were there but because it takes 3 weeks to get
the results back and his checkup was at 2 weeks they have to do another
at the doctors office? Does this make sense to anyone?

The PKU is actually a catch-all name for a bunch of different screening tests
they do on the blood from one heel-stick (I think galactosemia and sickle-cell
anemia are usually included, and some others, depending on state policy). My
understanding is that the PKU itself is best done after the baby is 24 hours
old, but due to early discharge many babies are less than 24 hours old when it
is first done, and it is then recommended to repeat it. Seems to me I've also
heard that it's better to do at least one of those tests (maybe it's the
galactosemia one?) after the baby is on mature milk and not colostrum. This is
just a vague memory, though. I'm sure someone can correct me if I've got any of
this wrong.

I don't know what they meant about the timing of the results. If there were a
positive I should think you'd hear about it sooner in any case.

--Helen
Old May 25th 04, 10:45 PM
Vicki S

On Wed, 26 May 2004 06:56:56 +1000, Daye wrote:
Why would they test all babies for sickle-cell? It only affects
African Americans (or those with African ancestry). I don't get that.

Actually, I recently learned (from some PBS show on, I think, DNA)
that sickle-cell anemia is not limited to people with African
ancestry. IIRC anyone with ancestry from malarial areas can inherit
this disorder.

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel Sullen, born 11/16/99;
Old May 25th 04, 11:10 PM
Donna Metler

"Vicki S" wrote in message
om...
On Wed, 26 May 2004 06:56:56 +1000, Daye wrote:
Why would they test all babies for sickle-cell? It only affects
African Americans (or those with African ancestry). I don't get that.

Actually, I recently learned (from some PBS show on, I think, DNA)
that sickle-cell anemia is not limited to people with African
ancestry. IIRC anyone with ancestry from malarial areas can inherit
this disorder.

And, the US population is SO mixed that anyone can have genes for just about
anything. I didn't realize until I started getting actual African immigrant
children in my classes just how much genetic drift there's been.

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel Sullen, born 11/16/99;
Chatty, born at home 5/19/02, and Expected, "due" September 4, 2004.

Chiro care of baby penises (also: Dr. Poland never sued Dr. Gastaldo) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 6 April 7th 04 04:58 PM
32wk checkup Angela Schepers Pregnancy 5 March 19th 04 02:32 PM
30wk checkup Angela Schepers Pregnancy 2 March 4th 04 02:27 AM
35 Week Checkup New York Jen Pregnancy 13 February 7th 04 01:14 AM
Newborn clothing- or one size up? Jill Pregnancy 35 January 7th 04 07:22 AM