141 bpm + depression in early pregnancy?

Old May 25th 04, 02:26 AM
Melody

Default 141 bpm + depression in early pregnancy?

Well, I had my ultrasound today and we saw the heartbeat. It was 141 bpm and
everything looked fine. I'm quite relieved and very apprieciatve of all the
support I've gotten from you ladies. It looks like the chance of m/c has
become much, much smaller and the blighted ovum theory has been disproved.

But- it seems like all I do is cry anymore. I feel miserable all the time.
It's to the point where it's seriously affecting my relationship with my SO.
He soooo doesn't understand (I don't think I would either if the situation
was reversed). Anyone else depressed like this so early? What's going on?
What can I do to help it (besides medication, I'm not taking medication)? I
want to be happy but I feel so completely unhappy for no apparent reason.
I'm taking everything personally and seem to be upset ALL the time. Even the
wonderful news at the ultrasound today didn't feel wonderful. What's going
on with me? Is it hormones? When will they balance out? Ugh... help... I
can't handle this!

Thanks again...

Melody

Old May 25th 04, 05:05 AM
Christine

Awww Melody, I feel for you! BTDT!

I was so emotional early in this pregnancy, and it went away ( kinda )
in the second trimester.
then returned in the third. it was Horrible,,,I would cry over
everything, I was ready to leave my dh, and for no reason at all,

I would actually imagine things in my head,,,well...not really imagine,
but blow WAY UP....

Just hang in there and realize it IS just hormones, and it WILL go
away.....
enjoy your pregnancy because it goes really fast!

you'll be ok, does your SO understand?

I was worried about it coming back AFTER i had the baby, but it didnt, I
feel 100% again......
I was very worried that I would'nt want anyone touching my baby, but as
Jill mentioned, I feel very relaxed as well, and you will too..!

Hang in there...;-))))

Old May 25th 04, 02:48 PM
Marion Boulden

Melody wrote:

[...]

{{{{{{{{{{{Melody}}}}}}}}}}},

Have you discussed this with your OB? You need to do that, especially if your
DH isn't able to offer the emotional support you need right now. You're going
through huge physical changes, and facing huge changes in your post-partum
life. It's not so unusual to suffer from depression during pregnancy... in
fact it's actually more common than post-partum depression. I know you are
opposed to medication, but there are some anti-depressants that have been shown
to be safe during pregnancy (no increased risk of birth defects, or learning
problems). Even if you decide that you still don't want to take medications for
depression, a few things you can try (and you may have to force yourself at
first) a

1. get out and get some sunlight!
2. exercise: even just short walks or a swim in the pool may help (and you can
get that sunshine at the same time).
3. be pro-active in seeking emotional support... call your family, friends, look
up old college buddies, or ask your doctor to refer you to a support group...
talk to people about how you are feeling, see a counselor. You shouldn't expect
to just be able to shrug depression off without help.
4. Make sure to take extra special care of yourself... sleep when you need to
(let DH do the dishes, and that vacuuming can wait!!), eat well, stay hydrated.

Marion
EDD 10-16-204

Old May 25th 04, 09:46 PM
Ilse Witch

On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:26:46 -0400, Melody wrote:

Well, I had my ultrasound today and we saw the heartbeat. It was 141 bpm and
everything looked fine.

I'm really happy for you! As for the emotional imbalance, that definitely
sounds like a combination of hormones, stress and the big change you're
facing. Don't forget that your SO has NO clue what you feel, and for him
it's all very remote still. Talk to him, it will help, if only marginally.
Try to take things one step at a time, and take as much time for yourself
as you need. Get enough sleep, eat a well balanced diet, and when you feel
you cannot cope, just get away from the situation if you can.

Now that you know all is well, you may want to tell a few people around
you (e.g. at work) that it's not their problem you are acting different.
You may yet be surprised at how supportive people become when they know
what's the "problem". For me things improved when I entered the second
trimester, but I still feel that I never quite recovered my stability
emotionally since I got pregnant with DS. Having a child affects you in
many many ways, but most are good!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)