breast pump question

Old March 28th 04, 07:09 AM
zolw

Default breast pump question

Hi;

I am 22 weeks pregnant & I plan to breastfeed. I was wondering which
type of breast pumps are better? The manual or the electric? & could you
give me a brand or model that is most recommended?

Thank you in advance.

Old March 28th 04, 05:56 PM
CY

It's one of those YMMV things. It really depends on how much you plan to
pump (how often will you be away from your baby - you may not even need to
pump).

The most recommended pumps a

Medela Pump in Style (Double Electric)
Ameda Purely Yours (Double Electric)
Avent Isis (Single manual)
Whisperwear is gaining in popularity too.

Lots of moms here pump and will be able to give you good advice. However
don't assume that you will have to pump if you're not going to be working.

Congratulations on making the best decision for your baby!!

Old March 28th 04, 06:50 PM
toypup

"CY" wrote in message
The most recommended pumps a

Medela Pump in Style (Double Electric)
Ameda Purely Yours (Double Electric)
Avent Isis (Single manual)
Whisperwear is gaining in popularity too.

Whisperwear is terrific. Give it enough time and I think it will become the
most popular pump. Love mine, can't praise it enough. Beats my PY and is
better than the ISIS by a longshot.

Old March 29th 04, 07:55 PM
Larry McMahan

zolw writes:
: Hi;

: I am 22 weeks pregnant & I plan to breastfeed. I was wondering which
: type of breast pumps are better? The manual or the electric? & could you
: give me a brand or model that is most recommended?

: Thank you in advance.

OK. In the first place, why do you care? What I mean is that for a mom
who is going to exclusively breastfed AND is a stay-at-home-mom, a breast
pump can be done without entirely.

Now, going from there, if you do plan to pump and feed, the kind of pump
you would need would vary depending it's use. From one extreme to the
other, if you are a full time working mom, and plan to pump every day,
you would probably do best with a high quality double electric pump.
The two most recommended here are the Medela Pump-In-Style, and the
Ameda Purely Yours. Most mothers who have either are happy with them.

If you only plan to pump occasionally for a night out, or to relieve
engorgement, you can probably do well with a single electric or a manual.
In that case, the Medela Mini-electric, or Avent Isis would be good.
One concern is that people are often passionate about a manual. That
is: they either love them or hate them. :-)

Of course, you should studiously avoide anything made by companies like
Gerber or Evenflo.

Oh, and one other thing. Hang around this newsgroup and read. Nursing
rquires both some knowledge and some practice to get accomplish and get
arounnd problems. By the time you give birth, most of the problems will
be discussed and you will either know the answers or who to ask!

Welcome,
Larry

Question for Moms: Pack N Play, Breast Pump, Bottles Carol Ann Pregnancy 28 March 7th 04 06:35 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. LaVonne Carlson General 22 December 7th 03 05:27 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM