Help needed: Night-weaning toddler

Old July 8th 03, 07:21 PM
P. G. Chavez

Default Help needed: Night-weaning toddler

Chookie wrote and I snipped:

DS (2.25yo)

Can anyone think of anything else to try?

Your schedule sounds a lot like my DS's was. I night-weaned him at
about 2.75 yo. I was fortunate in that he would sometimes nurse without
falling asleep at night, then roll over with his back to me and go to
sleep. He usually asks for me to "cuddle", so I put my arm over his
waist. Can you encourage your DS to do this?

My next step was to tell him that there would be no nursing during the
night, when it was dark. He would have to wait until the sun was up.
The first few nights, he had to be convinced that I meant what I said
(by not giving in), but he had been forewarned, and he was okay with
cuddling. Of course, he was ready at dawn! He stopped waking at night
after this step.

My DD was encouraged to night-wean at less than 2 yo with the approach
of waiting until the sun was up. I expect most 2 yo kids can grasp this
concept.

HTH,
-Patty, mom to Corinne [Mar-98] and Nathan [May-00]
and stepmom to Victoria [Apr-90]