Wiggle worm!! and etc

Old June 11th 04, 08:09 PM
Jill

Default Wiggle worm!! and etc

Rachel has turned into a really major wiggle worm. Diaper changes and baths,
and when she has her height measured are getting to be a struggle.......she
sleeps like a log though, and sleeps through the night except sometimes
wakes up once between 1:30a-3:30am for a feeding and changing. She may
possibly actually be awake at other times but those are times I can just
roll over and nurse her without waking up fully, getting up and changing her
etc......

But whoa, she arches her back and neck and it gets harder to hold or pick
her up sometimes. Today during tummy time I was playing with her- she
loooooves to gaze at her toys and tries to reach for them!- she lifted her
head all the way up for a long time- I was amazed. But then she had to put
it back down after looking all around with it held up, because it became too
heavy for her, lol.

Diaper changes are the worst.......she keeps her legs rigid and tightly bent
at the knees. I have a hard time getting the diaper on well enough so that
it won't leak around the legs unless I can get her legs out straight long
enough to secure the diaper. We've had several diaper blow outs! And when
anyone else changes her- my mom, my husband.......it ALWAYS, 100% of the
time is a blow out because they won't listen to me- they say you don't have
to have the diaper secure, it won't leak. Every single time, blow out.

When my mom babysits her alone for just 4 hours, I get aggravated because it
always means she will go through about 4 outfits, because she doesn't diaper
her right and she blows out/pees out! So annoying. Also my mom insists you
don't have to change the diaper at every output- this also contributes to
blowouts and I worry aboyut diaper rash, because Rachel doesn't have that
problem with me....I also don't have to put an outfit on her every hour
because of blow outs from improperly done diapers. It makes me want to
scream, so that I don't even want anyone else to watch her! (mym mom just
doesn't cooperate with my suggestions, and also she tends to not clean her u
p as well, and also- she leaves pooey diaper wipes laying around the house
instead of throwing them away- I have picked several up off the carpet and
changing table, yuck!.....also, she will wipe poo with a cloth diaper or
washcoth, and fold it back up where you can't see the poo, and leave that
folded up and lying on the changing table or the crib.......so, I have left
Rachel with ehr twice and have come home to a house out of order with little
things like that and it drives me nuts......nuts!! I am very glad I finished
errands and don't need to leave Rachel any more. It just drives me nuts when
someone else does things so the opposite of what i think is reasonable or
best! I do not know why my mom doesn't seem to diaper her right.....and she
just doesn't listen, and she does WEIRD things. She LOST Rachel's car seat-
she moved her into the house in it when we returned home form the dr that
she went with me to, and I left to finish an errand and when I got home, my
mom asked me "Did you put the car seat back in the car? I was looking for
her pacifier and I know it's in the car seat, and the car seat is not here.
" !!?? I was getting upset because I went all through the hosue 3 times
before I foudn where SHE had stashed the car seat, all the while she was
insisting I MUST have put it in the car. sigh..........and she told me that
since she couldn't find the pacifier, she used a nipple off of a bottle. No,
no no! That was so wrong....IMO. Also- I have to really watch her- I always
have to check Rachel in the car seat myself when we go out anyhwree together
when mom is "helping", because she has been shown at leat 6 times how to
buckle Rachel into the car seat, and insists on doing it herself...I asked
her if Rachel was in properly etc, and she said "Yes. Let's go"..I said "Are
you sure?" "Yes, she is! "...and then I check, and she didn't even have it
buckled!!!! And then said it wouldn't matter. My gosh, first of all safety,
not to mention the massive (and deserved!) traffic ticket if someone didn't
have a child properly restrained. It doesn't matter????? My mom really has
been worrying me. She's only watched her a couple times but each time, there
is a list f stuff wrong. And she also does unexplainable things.....she
reversed the way I had the crib set up, moved the mobile to the opposite
side and re-screwed it on, when I just stepped out for an hour, and
rearranged some other nursery things. That blew my mind, because I wasn't
out long, and a lot was moved...and when Rachel has all those grandma-diaper
blowouts and her clothes gets changed, my mom always puts her in things
other than onsies, in the nicer clothes that I really don't generally use on
an average day just to lie around the house.

I don't know...............this all makes me feel so anal and nitpicky but I
now HATE trying to leave Rachel with my mom, and don't want to do it
anymore, because I can't relax and enjoy a couple hours out, knowing that my
mom does stuff like this. But because of the car seat thing I know I will
NEVER ever feel ok EVER, about the grandparents keeping her and ever even so
much as taking her down the street to the store....it annoys me to not be
able to be trustful of Rachel with grandma. I am still boggling that she
used a nipple as a pacifier!! I would say she should ahve just used her
finger but I have watched her do several poo diaper changes where she
doesn't wash her hands afterward. sigh.........the other grandma is going to
be just as annoying I fear, in other ways, because DH told me that she has
been mentioning to his dad that she is concerned and wonders if we should be
allowing the pediatrician to do Rachel's shots the way they do them now.
Um...........?! eh, what?? What does she think, that its not safe to
vaccinate her ? The grandmas are just boggling my mind. However they used
to do vaccines, we see EXCELLENT pediatricians, and I leave her shots to
them. sheesh....

etc.

Old June 11th 04, 08:36 PM
Jamie Clark

Jill,
I think this is one of those times where you have to pick your battles --
forget about the bottle nipple as pacifier -- it probably worked out okay,
and isn't going to have any major long term repercussions. BUT, the car
seat buckling is huge, and the poopy wipes/diapers issue is more than
annoying, it's a cleanliness issue. Rearranging the furniture and putting
Rachel in "nice" clothes instead of onesies is also just annoying, but not
going to potential harm her in any way.

Is this type of behavior out of context for your mom? Is it new, or is the
typical of what you've been dealing with your whole life? If this is new,
you might want to get her checked out by her doctor -- it sounds like she
might have something going on, mentally. If this is par for the course,
you're going to have to lay down the law with her -- she needs to do
specific things your way, or risk not being able to have any alone time with
Rachel, and at worst, having no contact with either of you at all. Period.
I'd stick with the car seat buckling as the first and foremost issue, and
then try to deal with the poopy wipes/cloth diapers issue, but don't even
bring up the nipple or clothes or rearranging stuff issues. Stick to the
really important issues. If she can't get those right, you're going to have
to severely limit her contact with Rachel. Rachel's safety is far more
important than her feelings.

Hugs.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

#2 likes to try and stand up while I'm nursing at the moment!!

When my mom babysits her alone for just 4 hours, I get aggravated because

it
always means she will go through about 4 outfits, because she doesn't

diaper
her right and she blows out/pees out! So annoying. Also my mom insists you
don't have to change the diaper at every output- this also contributes to
blowouts and I worry aboyut diaper rash, because Rachel doesn't have that
problem with me....

I wouldn't worry too much about nappy rash. I've not found a problem with
either my 2 and they've both sensitive skin.

I also don't have to put an outfit on her every hour
because of blow outs from improperly done diapers. It makes me want to
scream, so that I don't even want anyone else to watch her! (mym mom just
doesn't cooperate with my suggestions, and also she tends to not clean her

p as well, and also- she leaves pooey diaper wipes laying around the house
instead of throwing them away- I have picked several up off the carpet and
changing table, yuck!.

Put a bin (lined with a plastic bag) next to the change mat.

.....also, she will wipe poo with a cloth diaper or
washcoth, and fold it back up where you can't see the poo, and leave that
folded up and lying on the changing table or the crib......

Yeuch :-(

[...]

That would drive me nuts. My mil says things like "well we didn't have
them". Which is stupid.

not to mention the massive (and deserved!) traffic ticket if someone

didn't
have a child properly restrained. It doesn't matter????? My mom really has
been worrying me. She's only watched her a couple times but each time,

there
is a list f stuff wrong. And she also does unexplainable things.....she
reversed the way I had the crib set up, moved the mobile to the opposite
side and re-screwed it on, when I just stepped out for an hour, and
rearranged some other nursery things. That blew my mind, because I wasn't
out long, and a lot was moved...

Sounds like she's trying to take control there!

and when Rachel has all those grandma-diaper
blowouts and her clothes gets changed, my mom always puts her in things
other than onsies, in the nicer clothes that I really don't generally use

on
an average day just to lie around the house.

I'd suspect she's being a proud grandma and quite likes to dress her in the
nice outfits and admire. She probably hopes for an excuse to change her.
Maybe that explains her putting the nappy on badly?

[...]

I didn't leave #1 for about 9 months for more than a short time. I think
you're brave leaving her already. I'm happy with my mum as I know she's as
fussy as me on safety, and worse on hygene. I feel a lot less happy with mil
as we differ on quite a lot, but I think that's fairly usual. Ask your mil
whether she'll do the next set of shots the "right" way as the pediatrician
obviously isn't as knowledgeable as her ;-P
As they get older you do feel happier, but even with my 3yr old I worry when
she's out with mil. At least she'll tell me what happened and I can respond.
Debbie

Old June 12th 04, 01:44 AM
Jill

"Welches" wrote I'd suspect she's
being a proud grandma and quite likes to dress her in the
nice outfits and admire. She probably hopes for an excuse to change her.
Maybe that explains her putting the nappy on badly?

Lol-- I'd really rather she just change her clothes then, no blowout
psychology necessary. I do like seeing her in the dressier clothes, just
hate washing them...the good news is that she'll outgrow anything long
before it wears out or gets too stained. That's also sad news, they grow so
fast For right now Rachel's size 0-3 month stuff swims on her.

Old June 12th 04, 04:19 AM
Carol Ann

When my mom babysits her alone for just 4 hours, I get aggravated because
it
always means she will go through about 4 outfits, because she doesn't

diaper
her right and she blows out/pees out! So annoying.

Yes, but at least she does change her AND at least you HAVE clothes for her.

[...]

You are fortunate to have a healthy wonderful daughter and a mother who is
in your life and wanting to be a grandmother.

While you are together with your mother, just remember that you are
ultimately responsible for Rachel's safety. If you don't trust your mom,
don't let her watch the baby. End of story.

As far as your inlaws, sounds nice that they are concerned about Rachel.
Still, don't leave them alone with her if you fear for her safety.

My mother and I have disagreements about a few things, but ultimately I am
the mommy and she knows it. A few things we disagreed upon:

~What clothing to put on Morgan. She kept her too warm! She also kept
wrapping her up in blankets.

~Bathing. I still can't bathe her alone. Mom does it with me. LOL! Some
battles CAN'T be won!

There are other areas...I'm too tired to write now.

Of course, she can't move stuff around like yours b/c she does have a
shattered wrist. LOL!

Don't sweat the small stuff. You Da Momma!

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://tinyurl.com/28zno ---Pictures!

Old June 12th 04, 02:56 PM
Jill

"Carol Ann" wrote
My mother and I have disagreements about a few things, but ultimately I am
the mommy and she knows it. A few things we disagreed upon:

~What clothing to put on Morgan. She kept her too warm! She also kept
wrapping her up in blankets.

Typical grandma behavior, I deal with this too, and being told I am making
the baby cold.....also, me keeping her cold is the cause of her hiccups,
crying spells, and spitting up. Also its why she won't sleep in her crib and
likes to be held- she's cold. eyeroll...but I do worry a bit because all
the SIDS info warns about keeping the room too warm and baby too
bundled...Rachel sweats when she's bundled up too much!

~Bathing. I still can't bathe her alone. Mom does it with me. LOL!

Some
battles CAN'T be won!

This is one thing I don't mind, bath help for the wiggle worm! Extra arms
are good in this case.

There are other areas...I'm too tired to write now.

Of course, she can't move stuff around like yours b/c she does have a
shattered wrist. LOL!

Don't sweat the small stuff. You Da Momma!

LMAO!