Three way calling

Old December 21st 03, 09:50 PM
chiam margalit

Default Three way calling

Next crisis!

DD has discovered three way calling. I opened the phone bill this
month and turned about 10 shades redder than normal. I am NOT amused.
Each of these calls cost money, and it added up to $18 in extra
charges so she can chat with 2 friends instead of one, all whilst
she's IMing someone else. There is no way I'm going to make it thru
the teen years! :-)

Plus, last night one of her friends, a boy I personally can't abide
because he's got the manners of a crocodile, decided to call her at
11:09 pm, then again at 11:38pm, then again at 12:03am, then again at
12:29 am. Then I unplugged the phones. Let us just say I was not
amused.

I called the boy's grandmother this morning and let her know what her
delightful (not) grandson was doing all night last night. I also spoke
to his father. Surprise surprise, not one adult in the family (there
are 3) had any clue that he was even up. Grrrrrr! So, he lost his cell
phone, which he was using for the calls, and he's on phone
restriction, as is my DD. Severe phone restriction.

If we didn't need a phone for emergency use, I'd lock them all up, but
as it is, I'm leaving only the fax machine non-locked up, so she has
to talk on the faxphone in our kitchen, which is not only the hub of
the house, but offers absolutely no privacy whatsoever. Plus, she's on
IM restriction as well, which means the padlock goes back up on the
office door and the internet computer is locked away until she pays me
back the money for the phone bill. This, AFTER I told her last month
*not* to use the 3 way calling when she first told me she had learned
how to use it. Yes, I explained why.

What is it with 11 year old kids? It appears they lose brain cells by
the day. I know it's going to get better in 4 or 5 years, but will I
live that long or will they have killed me with their insanity?

And vacation hasn't even started yet!

Marjorie
Old December 21st 03, 10:57 PM
Circe

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
DD has discovered three way calling. I opened the phone bill this
month and turned about 10 shades redder than normal. I am NOT amused.
Each of these calls cost money, and it added up to $18 in extra
charges so she can chat with 2 friends instead of one, all whilst
she's IMing someone else. There is no way I'm going to make it thru
the teen years! :-)

FWIW, I had this feature turned off on our phone, not because anyone was
purposely using the feature and running up our bills but because I had
inadvertently activated it a couple of times myself, resulting in some
additional charges on my bill. Since I have no desire ever to do three-way
calling from my home phone number, deactivating the functionality
represented no hardship.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [a quarter to 2] mom)

"Custom fabracation" -- Auto body shop sign

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old December 22nd 03, 02:04 PM
Sue

chiam margalit wrote in message
Next crisis!

DD has discovered three way calling. I opened the phone bill this
month and turned about 10 shades redder than normal. I am NOT amused.

Wow, you sure do have your hands full with your children don't you. Well she
broke the rules and you gave her the punishment. Hopefully, now she will be
more careful with the phone usage.

I have to say though that my 11-year-old is no where near what your daughter
is doing. She asks to use the phone maybe once a month. She doesn't know
what IM is. None of her friends use that function on the computer at all.
Ha, my daughter still plays with dolls and Barbies. I'm glad though, I'm not
ready for pre-teen behavior yet.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 22nd 03, 03:27 PM
Daniel Ganek

chiam margalit wrote:
[...]

I guess you were never 11 :-) I just hope my kids don't do HALF the
stuff I did when I was a teen-ager.

/dan

Old December 22nd 03, 03:44 PM
Denise

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
Next crisis!

DD has discovered three way calling. I opened the phone bill this
month and turned about 10 shades redder than normal. I am NOT amused.
Each of these calls cost money, and it added up to $18 in extra
charges so she can chat with 2 friends instead of one, all whilst
she's IMing someone else.

Does your phone company offer it in a package at a flat rate? We have 3 way
calling included in our monthly bill, but it also comes with *69, call
waiting, and call intercept. I pay $4.00 for all the services.
When I was younger, my mom did have it turned off on our phone, my sister
was quite fond of it.

Old December 22nd 03, 04:19 PM
Joni Rathbun

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Daniel Ganek wrote:

chiam margalit wrote:
[...]

It gets better when they're 15 or 16? Wait until you open the $500 phone
bill. I DID have the phone disconnected and kept a cell phone hidden in my
bedroom for emergencies. I could tell you stories that would make your,
uhm, hair curl. I just woke up from a dream in which I returned home only
to find my bedroom stripped of all the furniture and computer equipment.
It actually took me about five minutes to come to and realize it was just
a dream, that I don't have to worry about those things anymore.

Today we get our phone services thru M Power. For $50 a month flat rate,
we get unlimited 3-way and all those other features plus unlimited long
distance. Since most of my daughter's friends are now scattered about the
US and because my childrens' father also lives out of state, it's a good
deal. I like being able to tell the children they can call their father
whenever they wish without worrying about the cost.

Old December 22nd 03, 07:05 PM
chiam margalit

"Circe" wrote in message news:lGoFb.37623$BQ5.13178@fed1read03...
"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
DD has discovered three way calling. I opened the phone bill this
month and turned about 10 shades redder than normal. I am NOT amused.
Each of these calls cost money, and it added up to $18 in extra
charges so she can chat with 2 friends instead of one, all whilst
she's IMing someone else. There is no way I'm going to make it thru
the teen years! :-)

FWIW, I had this feature turned off on our phone, not because anyone was
purposely using the feature and running up our bills but because I had
inadvertently activated it a couple of times myself, resulting in some
additional charges on my bill. Since I have no desire ever to do three-way
calling from my home phone number, deactivating the functionality
represented no hardship.

Cancelled it first thing this morning. Heh heh heh. I just love
outsmarting the little monsters. :-) I also cancelled the 900
numbers...just in case. :-)

Marjorie

Old December 22nd 03, 07:08 PM
chiam margalit

"Sue" wrote in message ...
chiam margalit wrote in message
Next crisis!

DD has discovered three way calling. I opened the phone bill this
month and turned about 10 shades redder than normal. I am NOT amused.

Wow, you sure do have your hands full with your children don't you. Well she
broke the rules and you gave her the punishment. Hopefully, now she will be
more careful with the phone usage.

Yes, I sure do. At her IEP review last week the VP told me in
confidence in his office after the meeting that she was the most
'mature' girl in the 6th grade. Oh boy...just what a mom wants to
hear! But it's true, she is extremely mature, especially since she
doesn't have an older sister to emulate. I don't know where she gets
it...I certainly am not the most mature person in my age group. :-)

She's not going to be more careful. I caught her sneaking the phone
last night after she was told no phone for a week. Now she's REALLY in
trouble. That kid really doesn't believe in authority of any kind. She
listens to nobody. She's her own boss, and she's doing a really
crackerjack job of screwing it up.

Marjorie