Birth story

Old August 22nd 05, 03:02 AM
Joybelle

"Cat" wrote in message
news
IMB skrev:
I have a 3 (in october) year old boy (Jens) and a 4 months old boy
(Søren)

We have the same taste in names - I'm the mother of Karen (12 - more
common now, but not then) and Niels (not a single other Niels in sight)

I know a couple, who live here in the US, who have a Soren, Niels, and
Sigrid. They were both born and raised here, interestingly enough!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Old August 22nd 05, 03:07 AM
Joybelle

"Joybelle" wrote in message

I know a couple, who live here in the US, who have a Soren, Niels, and
Sigrid.

They were both born and raised here, interestingly enough!

In this statement I was referring to the parents. It came out confusing, I
think!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Old August 22nd 05, 06:14 PM
Cat

Joybelle skrev:
"Joybelle" wrote in message

I know a couple, who live here in the US, who have a Soren, Niels, and
Sigrid.

They were both born and raised here, interestingly enough!

In this statement I was referring to the parents. It came out confusing, I
think!

There MUST be some Scandinavians in the pas. Soren would be Søren,
though (does the second letter come out as a Scandinavian letter?)

Tine, Denmark
Old August 22nd 05, 08:54 PM
Joybelle

"Cat" wrote in message
Joybelle skrev:
"Joybelle" wrote in message

I know a couple, who live here in the US, who have a Soren, Niels, and
Sigrid.

They were both born and raised here, interestingly enough!

In this statement I was referring to the parents. It came out

confusing, I
think!

There MUST be some Scandinavians in the pas. Soren would be Søren,
though (does the second letter come out as a Scandinavian letter?)

I do believe she is of Scandinavian descent, or her family is anyway. The
kids all have very blonde hair and blue eyes. I believe they don't do the
Scandinavian letter, but I'm not positive on that. I'm not sure how to do
that on my computer, though I'm sure I could find something if I looked hard
enough!
--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Old August 22nd 05, 08:55 PM
IMB

"Joybelle" wrote in
:

"Cat" wrote in message

There MUST be some Scandinavians in the pas. Soren would be Søren,
though (does the second letter come out as a Scandinavian letter?)

I do believe she is of Scandinavian descent, or her family is anyway.
The kids all have very blonde hair and blue eyes. I believe they
don't do the Scandinavian letter, but I'm not positive on that. I'm
not sure how to do that on my computer, though I'm sure I could find
something if I looked hard enough!

I dont think they use the special danish letter ('ø'). I've seen it (not)
used in the family name 'Sorensen' in the USA. I dont think an american
would know what to do with that letter and the boy would forever be
explaining his name rather than just spelling it ;-)

--
Inger Marie Brunsgaard
Please remove "nospam_" from my email adress if you reply to my message
Old August 22nd 05, 11:35 PM
Joybelle

"Cath" wrote in message

First the 'essentials': Jens was born on august the 10th, 4 days before
my due date. Weight was a whopping 3900 grams (which is I believe about
8 pounds 10 ounces). I gave birth at home as I had wanted to.

What a wonderful story, Cath!!

Congratulations on the birth of Jens!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Old August 22nd 05, 11:37 PM
Joybelle

"IMB" wrote in message
4.162...
"Joybelle" wrote in
:

"Cat" wrote in message

There MUST be some Scandinavians in the pas. Soren would be Søren,
though (does the second letter come out as a Scandinavian letter?)

I do believe she is of Scandinavian descent, or her family is anyway.
The kids all have very blonde hair and blue eyes. I believe they
don't do the Scandinavian letter, but I'm not positive on that. I'm
not sure how to do that on my computer, though I'm sure I could find
something if I looked hard enough!

I dont think they use the special danish letter ('ø'). I've seen it (not)
used in the family name 'Sorensen' in the USA. I dont think an american
would know what to do with that letter and the boy would forever be
explaining his name rather than just spelling it ;-)

I don't think they use the Danish letter either. It would be quite a lot of
explaining in these parts! I have some neighbors with the last name
Sorenson.

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Old August 23rd 05, 03:05 PM
Cath

Thanks, it's nice to hear some more background on the name.

Cath
Mom to Fenna 07/05/03
and Jens 08/10/05

IMB wrote:

(Cath) wrote in news:1h1jf8q.1sge1g81wmsfpmN%
:

Thanks! Enjoying myself has been no problem so far, My 2 year old DD

is
taking things much better than I expected and so far Jens is pretty

easy
going. Jens is a Danish name, isn't it. It's getting quite popular in
the Netherlands too.

Yes it is. In fact it is the "name" of danish soldiers (though nowadays
it's completely old fashioned to call soldiers for "Jens"). The name is
not popular as such in Denmark but is very steady... every generation
has it's number of jenses.

226 boys were named Jens i 1996 in Denmark making it the 40th most
popular name.

I have a 3 (in october) year old boy (Jens) and a 4 months old boy
(Søren) and I must say that poor Jens have had his periods of bad
behaviour. It is becomming easier as Søren sleeps longer and can be left
to play with toys for longer and longer periods of time and this gives
me free hands to play a bit with the oldest son and to help him. And to
hold him (much against his will so we usually end up wrestling but I
couldn't do that when Søren was newborn partly because I had little
time, because I was to tired from lack of sleep during night and because
I had sore breasts and didn't feel up to wrestling a two-almost-three
year old).

Keep us updated on how things work out for the family.

Old August 23rd 05, 03:05 PM
Cath

Yes, that's what my kraamhulp said. He's quite consistently at 7 feeds a
day, the time between feeds varies between 2,5 and 5 hours. I think I
will get him weighed on wednesday but judging by the amount of wet and
poopy diapers he produces I'm not worried :-).

I don't know if there have been studies on the relation between
kraamhulp and PPD but it's a very interesting thought. As just about
everybody in the Netherlands gets it (over 90% of the people have health
insurance) there should in that case be less instances of PPD in the
Netherlands. I don't know if there have been comparative studies.
I think one of the reasons for having this system is so people can be
discharged from hospital sooner, thus saving costs (one day extra in
hospital is about as expensive as one week of kraamhulp). And the baby
and mother are monitored closely in the first week by a pro, this should
help spot potential health problems sooner I suppose.

Cath
Mom to Fenna 07/05/03
and Jens 08/10/05

Chookie wrote:

In article ,
(Cath) wrote:

Some background on the Dutch system - as you usually give birth at home
or in the 'short stay' dept of the hospital (in hospital but with your
midwife, and you're discharged right away), you get a sort of doula for
the first week to help you with the baby and the household, and make
sure you rest enough, and take care of the other kids etc. We call it
'kraamhulp', I have no translation but will refer to her as Marina, that
was her name. Normally they arrive during labour to assist the midwife,
but because I was already at 9 cm when the midwife arrived Marina
arrived a bit late, just as I was pushing out the head at 2pm.

Jens is doing really well so far, nurses really well, on day 6 he was
already over his birthweight! He want to nurse every three hours or so
which comes as a bit of a shock to me as DD wanted to nurse every other
minute :-). But as he's already over his birthweight he seems to know
what he's doing...

Congratulations on the birth of Jens! I think larger babies might feed less
often -- at least, DS2 was 4130g at birth and has fewer feeds than DS1 did
(DS1 was a 'mere' 3765g!). DS2 has almost doubled his birth weight and is not
yet 3 months old!

The kraamhulp sounds like a great idea; I especially like the way they are
present at delivery and continue care of the mother afterwards. Is
post-partum depression reduced in the Netherlands as a result? What other
benefits has it had?

Old August 29th 05, 03:56 AM
carl jones

"Cath" wrote in message
Jens is doing really well so far, nurses really well, on day 6 he was

already over his birthweight! He want to nurse every three hours or so
which comes as a bit of a shock to me as DD wanted to nurse every other
minute :-). But as he's already over his birthweight he seems to know
what he's doing...

Congratulations on the birth of Jens!

(((((warm hugs)))))

Carl