Wife's "Flutters" Ceasing While Sick

Old April 1st 06, 07:38 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Wife's "Flutters" Ceasing While Sick

My wife is pregnant, estimated at around 9 weeks. She had been feeling
"flutters" but the last day or so has been coughing and sick. Since then the
flutters have stopped. She fears this means she is miscarrying and even has
the notion that the coughing is the cause.

Is this a normal thing, or something that demands immediate attention? She
is due for a checkup Monday anyway.

Thanks.

Old April 1st 06, 10:57 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

wrote in message
news
My wife is pregnant, estimated at around 9 weeks. She had been feeling
"flutters" but the last day or so has been coughing and sick. Since then
the flutters have stopped. She fears this means she is miscarrying and
even has the notion that the coughing is the cause.

Is this a normal thing, or something that demands immediate attention? She
is due for a checkup Monday anyway.

Thanks.

i wouldnt be worried, at 9 weeks it is too early to feel the baby, so she
proabbly was feeling gas or something. People usually feel the baby at
about 20 weeks, up to 4 weeks either side i think is quite normal.

mind you, i am no medical expert, just offering some weekend free advice
from one mum to another to be!

Hope she is feeling better

chris

Old April 1st 06, 03:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

wrote:
My wife is pregnant, estimated at around 9 weeks. She had been feeling
"flutters" but the last day or so has been coughing and sick. Since then the
flutters have stopped. She fears this means she is miscarrying and even has
the notion that the coughing is the cause.

Is this a normal thing, or something that demands immediate attention? She
is due for a checkup Monday anyway.

It is *extremely* unlikely that the flutters she
was feeling were the baby. The baby is *tiny* at this
point (crown to rump length of only about 5cm) and not
strong enough to make much of an impact. I think the
earliest I've ever heard of someone feeling anything
was around 12-13 weeks, and around 20 weeks is much
more common. There are lots of sensations going on
down there as everything moves/grows/stretches and
the digestive system gets mucked about with a lot, so
she was likely feeling *something*, but not the baby.
Furthermore, it's very unlikely that coughing
would cause a miscarriage. Another poster here was
unlucky enough to get pertussis (whooping cough) while
pregnant and she and her baby survived the ordeal.
Believe me, that coughing was much worse--it caused
her to crack a rib.
I know it's miserable, but there's unlikely
to be any reason for concern. I hope she feels better
soon.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old April 3rd 06, 12:31 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Elfanie wrote:
As much as everyone says that you can't feel movement until 20 weeks
or so...

Actually, isn'tthat WHEN you should be feeling something, not the
earliest possible? I know I felt movements around 17 weeks with this
one & my first.
Old April 3rd 06, 02:59 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Denise~* wrote:
Elfanie wrote:
As much as everyone says that you can't feel movement until 20 weeks
or so...

Actually, isn'tthat WHEN you should be feeling something, not the
earliest possible? I know I felt movements around 17 weeks with this
one & my first.

Pretty much. Some people go a bit overboard
saying you can't feel movement earlier than that, but
most people seem to acknowledge that some women feel
movement earlier--down to around 12-13 weeks for some
lucky folk. It's perfectly normal not to feel movement
until 20-24 weeks, though.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old April 3rd 06, 02:41 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Denise~* wrote:
Elfanie wrote:
As much as everyone says that you can't feel movement until 20 weeks
or so...

Actually, isn'tthat WHEN you should be feeling something, not the
earliest possible? I know I felt movements around 17 weeks with this
one & my first.

Pretty much. Some people go a bit overboard
saying you can't feel movement earlier than that, but
most people seem to acknowledge that some women feel
movement earlier--down to around 12-13 weeks for some
lucky folk. It's perfectly normal not to feel movement
until 20-24 weeks, though.

It's also safest to state it that way. Else women reaching 16 weeks
with no movement and being asked "have you felt anything yet" can go
into a panic when they haven't.

FWIW - after I felt very obvious movement around 21 weeks, I could
think back and realise "so that's what that was" to about 16 weeks. But
at 16 weeks, with a first pg, it felt like nothing more than gas.

Old April 3rd 06, 06:56 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Pretty much. Some people go a bit overboard
saying you can't feel movement earlier than that, but
most people seem to acknowledge that some women feel
movement earlier--down to around 12-13 weeks for some
lucky folk. It's perfectly normal not to feel movement
until 20-24 weeks, though.

I was utterly convinced I was feeling movement with #2 when I went for a
scan at 10+4, turned out to be 9+2, what it felt like was what you imagine
it must feel like if you cupped your hands around an insect that was
fluttering hard and trapped. The location was just behind the pubic bone,
which is exactly where the baby and uterus would be at that time. Looking
back I wonder if it could have been the first sign of SPD, but I didn't feel
a twinge until 20+4, so it would be a little surprising if it was.

Anne

Old April 3rd 06, 07:00 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anne Rogers wrote:
Pretty much. Some people go a bit overboard
saying you can't feel movement earlier than that, but
most people seem to acknowledge that some women feel
movement earlier--down to around 12-13 weeks for some
lucky folk. It's perfectly normal not to feel movement
until 20-24 weeks, though.

I was utterly convinced I was feeling movement with #2 when I went
for a scan at 10+4, turned out to be 9+2, what it felt like was what
you imagine it must feel like if you cupped your hands around an
insect that was fluttering hard and trapped. The location was just
behind the pubic bone, which is exactly where the baby and uterus
would be at that time. Looking back I wonder if it could have been
the first sign of SPD, but I didn't feel a twinge until 20+4, so it
would be a little surprising if it was.
Anne

You know, I've felt that fluttering when not pregnant. I think it's muscle
spasms, either in the uterus, ovaries or ligaments nearby. I get the same
type of little muscle spasms right beneath one eye or another sometimes.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password