Just asking.

Old May 26th 04, 07:28 PM
Sophie

Default Just asking.

"Alissa" wrote in message

snip
At least, if #5 is a girl, I can rest assured her name will NEVER become
popular, since John is absolutely insisting that we name her Lorelei.

Leslie

so long as too many people don't watch Gilmore Girls...I'd never heard of
the name until then, I like the name!You might just be the front runner to

new trend again....
Alissa

I knew a Lorelei in kindergarten. She was Hawaiian and gorgeous (even then)
and very nice so I have a good association with the name.

I don't regret my children's names but I'm not too sure what's gonna happen
with #4. I do like our girl name but it's not my *fave* girl name -
Josephine. I like the boy name more than my husband does and I kinda feel
like we're both just saying "yeah okay" to the names the other person
suggests, just to have a name picked out sigh

Old May 26th 04, 08:17 PM
sher

Alpha wrote in message thlink.net...
Christine says:

has anyone ever thought maybe you should have named your baby another
name. OR were you 100% happy with the one you picked?

I'm 100% happy with both names we picked. We sort of knew both names when
I was pregnant the first time around, and it was just a matter of which one
we used first. When I became pregnant the second time, the second name was
at the top of the list but we went through the whole exercise again just to
be sure. We were.

Their names are Eamon Conner and Quinn Malloy. DH had misgivings about
Malloy because Conner honors a member of the family, while Malloy doesn't.
But we went through all the other possible names and kept coming up empty-
handed. I love the way Quinn Malloy sounds together, and I also love how
the name Malloy hasn't really been used much if at all. Sometimes I wish I
had "saved" Malloy in case we have a 3rd child, and the child is male. But
that just seemed like too many ifs to keep ourselves from using it for
Quinn's middle name. :-)

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn

I am 100% happy with my first two sons' names, Caleb and Ethan. Well,
I wish Ethan hadn't become so popular in recent years, but there's not
much I can do about that now. I am 100% happy with the pronounciation
of my third son's name, but I have frequently second-guessed the
spelling of it. We really liked the sound "ay-mon", but had a hard
time figuring out how to spell it. We were afraid that if we used the
Irish name "Eamon" everyone would pronounce it "ee-mon". We found the
name "Amon" in the bible that we think is pronounced the same way, but
the spelling of it just didn't "look" right. In the Finnish bible
(FIL's family is Finnish), it is spelled "Aamon" and we really liked
the looks of that better, so that's what we went with. However,
people still have no clue how to pronounce it or spell it. Most
people think it is pronounced "ah-mon" and don't even attempt to spell
it.

Alpha, I know you tried to warn me and are probably saying "I told you
so", but so far, no one has tried to spell it "Eamon" and when they
ask where we came up with the name, they have never heard of the
"Eamon" spelling either, so I don't think we would've done much better
that way. DH was very adamant about spelling it "Aamon", but now
admits that he thinks "Aemon" would have been better. It think that
looks weird, but at least that would have been more obvious for people
to pronounce. "Aymon" was another option we looked at, but the 'y'
makes it look feminine and ethnic to me.

Luckily, you say your children's name a heck of a lot more than you
write it.

~ Sher
Old May 26th 04, 08:28 PM
Alissa

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
ink.net...
There are actually 3 characters named Lorelei -- the grandmother, the
daughter, and the daughter's daughter. The grand daughter goes by Rory,

but
I think her given name was Lorelei. The main character, Lorelei, and her
daughter Rory, have a very close mother daughter bond, as Rory was born

when
Lorelei was 16. Lorelei and her mother do not get along well.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

"Leslie" wrote in message
Jamie said:

I don't know, with Gilmore Girls, it's sure getting out there!

See, I don't watch t.v., so I don't have the faintest idea about this.

Is
there someone named Lorelei on the show? What kind of character is it?

Leslie

Yeah I thought Rory's name was Lorelei too but wasn't sure, didn't know it

was the grandmothers name too...
Alissa

Old May 26th 04, 08:32 PM
Welches

Maria Danielle Darst wrote in message

Anyway, I agree....you should have longer to pick out the name once you

see
the baby.

How long do you have? In UK you have to register them within 6 weeks (I
think it is, or Scotland is 3 months) You can leave the name blank and fill
it in later, and can change up to a year.
Debbie

Old May 27th 04, 12:41 AM
Rebecca McGraw

The Lorelei are mythological German sirens whose singing lead boatmen
upon the Rhine river to their deaths. It's also the name of a song by
Styx, but unless you're a fan of 70's album rock you might never know
that. "Lorelei let's live together, brighter than the stars forever..."

-Rebecca
Fount of useless knowledge

Alissa wrote:
snip

At least, if #5 is a girl, I can rest assured her name will NEVER become
popular, since John is absolutely insisting that we name her Lorelei.

Leslie

so long as too many people don't watch Gilmore Girls...I'd never heard of
the name until then, I like the name!You might just be the front runner to a
new trend again....
Alissa

Old May 27th 04, 12:52 AM
Alpha

Sher says:

Alpha, I know you tried to warn me and are probably saying "I told you
so", but so far, no one has tried to spell it "Eamon" and when they
ask where we came up with the name, they have never heard of the
"Eamon" spelling either, so I don't think we would've done much better
that way.

No, we hardly ever come across someone who knows the name. I guess we both
get to tell the story of the name every time someone new comes along. :-)
But you know, I think the Aamon spelling looks nicer than Aemon.

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn
Old May 27th 04, 01:03 AM
Carol Ann

has anyone ever thought maybe you should have named your baby another
name.

Me! Me! (Hand flies up waving!) I thought I wanted to change it. I was
suddenly feeling Morgan just wasn't right.

OR were you 100% happy with the one you picked?

I love Chloe, but I also loved Olivia too. and melanie, AND
Victoria...lol....but I stuck with Chloe because I have been calling her
chloe for months now, I could'nt imagine her anyother name, but i did
wonder if I chose the right one, they should give you more
time....lol...

I suppose you CAN still change her name. But, Chloe is very pretty. I also
like Olivia, Elizabeth, Kimberley, Rachel, Madison, Lauren....

I'm not sorry, i think she even looks like a chloe..;-))))

She definitely looksl like a Chloe!

anyone else?

http://www.growingfamily.com/webnurs...LID=9T8S0V9F5G

--
~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04

Old May 27th 04, 03:03 AM
Leslie

Alissa said:

You might just be the front runner to a
new trend again....

I can see it happening already. groan

Leslie

Old May 27th 04, 03:04 AM
Leslie

Rebecca said:

The Lorelei are mythological German sirens whose singing lead boatmen
upon the Rhine river to their deaths. It's also the name of a song by
Styx, but unless you're a fan of 70's album rock you might never know
that.

I knew about the German legend, but not about the Styx song. In fact, the
German legend is one of the reasons I'm not sold on the name--kind of a creepy
association for a little girl!

Leslie

Old May 27th 04, 03:06 AM
Leslie

Jamie said:

There are actually 3 characters named Lorelei -- the grandmother, the
daughter, and the daughter's daughter. The grand daughter goes by Rory, but
I think her given name was Lorelei. The main character, Lorelei, and her
daughter Rory, have a very close mother daughter bond, as Rory was born when
Lorelei was 16. Lorelei and her mother do not get along well.

Thanks for explaining it all to me. At least she sounds like a nice character.

Rory is a strange choice for a nickname. That's actually yet another reason
I'm afraid to name her Lorelei; I can't think of a good nickname for it, and
I'll be sure to call her Lori, which I just don't care for. And yet I'll do it
anyway, I know I will.

Leslie, mother of Emmy, Jakie, Teddy, and Willie (see, I can't control myself!)