Ectopic pregnancy

Old June 1st 04, 08:06 PM
Ilse Witch

Default Ectopic pregnancy

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:27:46 -0700, Claudia wrote:

I think it was a regular level one, and it was trans-vaginal.

Ah, forget my question then. Didn't they do another hCG test? That would
tell you a lot more at this stage. I don't mean to worry you, but at 5w5d
they found a normal sized sac, however I had low progesterone and the hCG
wasn't doubling at all. I eventually miscarried, but from the u/s I would
never have known that.

Was there any particular reason for you to have this u/s so early on?
Usually they wait until at least 8w, since it is so difficult to see
anything that early.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old June 1st 04, 10:10 PM
Sophie

I think it was a regular level one, and it was trans-vaginal.

Thanks for the good wishes, they seemed to have helped: we found a
tiny something INSIDE the uterus at the ultrasound yesterday. It's
still kind of small for age but, as my doctor said, some people have
to be at the end of the bell curve to make a bell curve. Best news
is, of course, that it's inside.

Woo hoo - glad to read that!

Next check-up is Thursday.

Thanks for answering and also thanks to the very detailed post from
Dagny which was very helpful and informative. For some reason, I
cannot answer to your post directly but I did want to say thanks.

Claudia - much less agitated but still worried, a bit

Glad everything looks better, continued fingers crossed.

And I love your name too (saw your post that said it's common where you are,
I really like it).

--
Sophie
#4 due July 7, 2004

Old June 2nd 04, 12:18 AM
Jamie Clark

Claudia,
I hope that your "tiny something" continues to grow normally and turn into a
nice happy little fetus! I don't want to be the voice of doom and gloom,
but was the "tiny something" within range, although small? I do know
someone who had an abdominal ectopic pregnancy, that wasn't caught very
early because she also had a uterine sac -- the uterine sac wasn't viable,
but it distracted away from the abdominal ectopic for a few weeks, until it
was clear that the uterine sac wasn't viable, yet her beta numbers were
still very very high.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

"Claudia" wrote in message
om...
Donna wrote:

What type/level of ultrasound did they do? A trans-vaginal U/S shows

more
than an abdominal one early (but is not the most pleasant experience),

and a
high-level one shows more than a regular one.

Here's hoping that the baby is just hiding, but is where he/she's

supposed
to be.

Old June 2nd 04, 06:31 AM
Claudia

Ilse Witch wrote:

Ah, forget my question then. Didn't they do another hCG test?

No, they didn't. I have the impression it's one of those cultural
things in medicine that I encounter a lot -- procedures that are
viewed as perfectly normal, routine and necessary in the States are
regarded as unusual or superfluous in Germany, and the other way
around.

That would
tell you a lot more at this stage. I don't mean to worry you, but at 5w5d
they found a normal sized sac, however I had low progesterone and the hCG
wasn't doubling at all. I eventually miscarried, but from the u/s I would
never have known that.

I'm sorry to hear that.

At this point, the main worry was the ectopic, not a miscarriage.
Since that is ruled out now, my doctor wants another U/S on Thursday
and then she'll decide what to do next. I think a miscarriage at this
early age can't be prevented anyway, no? [And I worry anyway, nothing
to do with your post...:-)]

Was there any particular reason for you to have this u/s so early on?
Usually they wait until at least 8w, since it is so difficult to see
anything that early.

Yes, I know... See, I'm from Germany, my husband is American and we
live in Romania, where he's working for USAID. Romanian health care
is, hm, not quite state-of-the-art, let's put it that way. I had to
come to Germany for a family emergency and since I was here anyway,
paid a visit to my Ob-Gyn. I hadn't planned it this way and maybe I
would have been spared a lot of agonizing without this very early
visit.

We'll know more tomorrow.

Best,

Claudia
Old June 2nd 04, 02:30 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:31:57 -0700, Claudia wrote:

Ah, forget my question then. Didn't they do another hCG test?

No, they didn't. I have the impression it's one of those cultural
things in medicine that I encounter a lot

IKWYM! But this isn't really cultural, it's a medical fact that one hCG
draw is pretty much useless, so I wonder why they even bothered in the
first place if they didn't plan a follow-up. If you get a chance, you may
want to ask your doctor what the purpose of the hCG draw is, I am really
curious, but that's up to you of course.

Here's a good site with backgroud information:
http://www.conceivingconcepts.com/le...icles/hcg.html

-- procedures that are viewed as perfectly normal, routine and necessary
in the States are regarded as unusual or superfluous in Germany, and the
other way around.

Hehe, I know, I've BTDT. I lived in Germany for several years and at the
moment I'm in the US. They are definitely different in many things!

I think a miscarriage at this early age can't be prevented anyway, no?
[And I worry anyway, nothing to do with your post...:-)]

No, you cannot prevent it, but IME it helps to know what's coming. Not
that it will ever stop you from worrying, I take that to be another normal
pregnancy symptom.

I hadn't planned it this way and maybe I would have been
spared a lot of agonizing without this very early visit.

You're right. Knowing isn't always the best thing. Often early testing
gives you more to worry about and raises more questions than answers, like
in your case. In spite of the cultural differences, if you have no
previous m/c, complaints or other medical problems, testing in early
pregnancy is pretty useless.

I hope the little sac stays put and soon you will see a healthy little
embryo inside!!

Old June 2nd 04, 05:13 PM
Elle

"JoFromOz" wrote in message ...
Hi Claudia. (I love your name!)

We were discussing this at work last night...

Ectopics can be detected as early as 3 weeks in someone with a very
sensitive tube.
The pain from an Ectopic pregnancy differs to (for example) appendicitis in
that ectopics cause bowel pressure. (even small ones)

If you do have an ectopic and it is in the tube, you would be feeling pain
(enough to make you sweat!) and bowel pressure.

If there is no pain, perhaps you don't have an ectopic?

I hope so!

Good luck!

Jo(RM)

Jo I wanted to respond to this especially since you are a pro -- maybe
you can share it with your colleagues. I have had two ectopics and
felt no pain with either of them, even though the second one ruptured.

I just had to stress, especially to a professional, that the presence
or absence of pain (which you are right is very subjective) alone is
not an indicator of ectopic. The best diagnostic is quantitative
serial HCGs and a transvaginal ultrasound. If there is nothing
detected in the uterus but there is a positive HPT, ectopic should be
one of the first things on the list to check.

Hope it all resolves ok for the OP; seems like the initial scare might
be past.

Elle
Old June 3rd 04, 02:30 AM
JoFromOz

Elle wrote:
"JoFromOz" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for posting this, Elle.

I am not very experienced with ectopics, but the info I gave came from THE
most experienced midwife I work with.
Regarding the pain, I'm glad I wrote the word 'perhaps'

Thanks,

Jo (RM)

Old June 3rd 04, 03:04 PM
Elle

"JoFromOz" wrote in message ...
Elle wrote:
"JoFromOz" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Jo you are very gracious. It's obviously something I feel very
strongly about. In my experience doctors were distracted by the fact
that I didn't have any pain -- so often they chalk symptoms up to
early m/c, and we all know how little follow-up they do on those. As
as result I think it can take a little longer to diagnose ectopics,
which can lead to a life treatening situation or loss of fertility.
Running a few extra betas can provide a lot of good information.

Regards
Elle