Is this a little freaky?

Old September 10th 03, 04:58 AM
Laurie

Default Is this a little freaky?

*Probably pregnancy loss is mentioned in this post*

I just found out some sad news through a friend; a mutual friend of ours is
18 weeks pregnant, and just went in for her ultrasounds. They discovered
that she is pregnant with conjoined twins, and that they are sharing one set
of internal organs. Obviously the prognosis is pretty poor, and she's been
advised to terminate. I don't know any more details except that I believe
she was going to seek a second opinion (she's a casual friend, and I
certainly wouldn't call her myself at this time, I'm not close enough with
her). I feel very sad for her, what a horrible thing to have to face.

The freaky part is that the girl who told me about it said that this now
makes 3 recent cases of conjoined twin pregnancies in my town.

What is the likelihood of something like that happening? I'm not trying to
sound insensitive when I say I'm sure glad I don't drink the town water.
There have been reports of increase incidences of leukemia and other cancers
in my area, questionably due to a local air base and power plant. Can't
help but wonder if there could be a connection.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

*This email address is now valid*

Old September 10th 03, 08:13 AM
Dagny

"Laurie" wrote in message
t...
[...]

The likelihood depends on the size of your town, but it very well may be a
cluster. Have you thought about calling the local paper?

Old September 10th 03, 12:42 PM
Kari

What is the likelihood of something like that happening? I'm not trying

sound insensitive when I say I'm sure glad I don't drink the town water.
There have been reports of increase incidences of leukemia and other

cancers
in my area, questionably due to a local air base and power plant. Can't
help but wonder if there could be a connection.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

*This email address is now valid*

I can't answer as to why, it could be coincidence but it does seem like it
could possibly be something in the water or air. How large is your town? If
something that like happened here it would be chaos. We have a less than
10,000 person population but if you live somewhere with a considerable amt.
of people the stats would be different.

I wanted to point out a few things though, because my husband does work at
a power plant and the vast majority of the general public are ignorant about
their practices.

Most people even in our area do what they can to shut the place down without
realizing that a running nuclear power plant is probably safer than any
other kind of operating plants (coal, etc) They have such strict regulations
with the NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Commission) and are examined every 2 years
not only on their practices such as safety but the effect the plant may have
on water, air, public health, etc. I highly doubt a running plant would be
careless enough to allow spent fuel to leak out. Some plants dont even keep
their spent fuel on site, worth checking into if you dont know, hy husband's
plant does but sometimes other plants ship theirs elsewhere. The fuel that
is NOT spent (i.e. in raw form) is not radioactive by any means.

No doubt if cases keep arising like you mention, the NRC will probably look
into it. Especially if word gets out, the public will likely have a field
day. I guess the point Im making is becuase they are nuclear plants, 9 times
out of 10 they have higher regulations, stricter codes, and are constantly
monitored for many many reasons, one of them being the stigma they have
received for being unsafe. Because of all this, they are typically much
*more* safe.

I hope that made sense. Im not saying it couldn't happen but I dont think
that would be a likely source.

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due in 3 weeks

Old September 10th 03, 03:00 PM
Ilse Witch

Laurie wrote:

(she's a casual friend, and I certainly wouldn't call her
myself at this time, I'm not close enough with her).

Even though you're not close, you can let her know that you
are thinking about her. Send a nice postcard or something,
you don't necessarily have to call. I know that I would
appreciate even the smallest token of sympathy if I were
in a situation like that.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)

Old September 10th 03, 04:57 PM
Sue

That is a little freaky. Right now, I type (medical transcriptionist) for
four hospitals in California and they have two sets of conjoined twins that
I have been typing about for the last month. So far so good with both sets,
but it is very sad for the parents and the stress they are under. (
--
Sue
mom to three girls

t...

Old September 10th 03, 08:30 PM
Shannon

Well if I were you I would move. I hope your friend does terminate. I know
it would be hard but better for the babies. By the sounds of it only one
would make it and maybe not even.

Shannon

Old September 10th 03, 11:18 PM
Daye

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:42:38 GMT, "Kari"
wrote:

Most people even in our area do what they can to shut the place down without
realizing that a running nuclear power plant is probably safer than any
other kind of operating plants (coal, etc)

But "The Simpsons" has told me differently!! Are you saying that TV
lies????????

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old September 10th 03, 11:55 PM
Daye

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:28:15 GMT, "Kari"
wrote:

Lol. We get that all the time. That and something about he or the kids
glowing.

When the big blackout occurred, my DH and I assumed a "Homer" had
spilled his Buzz Cola or Fondue on the control board. Homers are
everywhere.

Old September 11th 03, 12:32 AM
Kari

wrote:

Lol. We get that all the time. That and something about he or the kids
glowing.

When the big blackout occurred, my DH and I assumed a "Homer" had
spilled his Buzz Cola or Fondue on the control board. Homers are
everywhere.

Ah yes they are! Apparently they were worse in the Navy though. He swears
the Simpsons was written by an ex-Navy nuke. But now that he works at an
actual plant, I can't count the times family and friends have called him
Homer, or said to my kids, "hey, you're glowing!" (or to my belly) Yeah yeah
yeah...we get it.

That's pretty funny about the blackout though, I'll have to tell him that
one!

Old September 14th 03, 03:36 AM
Laurie

I meant to respond to you the other day but lost the thread, Kari. Thanks
for the tips on the power plant. Most of the contamination is thought
to be from the air base, but I've heard stuff about the power plant too.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

*This email address is now valid*