Question: regaining lost milk supply?

Old April 1st 04, 12:05 AM
Naomi Rivkis

Default Question: regaining lost milk supply?

My milk is going, if not already gone! I've been
drinking Mother's Milk tea and nursing or pumping as
much of the time as possible lately to try and
stimulate more of it, but it's been slowly dwindling
anyway and I don't know if it can be saved. I suspect
dehydration and semistarvation as the culprits; I've
been bad about taking care of myself recently; the
baby takes so much of my attention I haven't been
getting in my own meals. I've tried to get apple juice
down at least, but it's hard, and stress tends to
cause nausea for me, which doesn't make it any easier.

Anyway, the question is, if it's honestly gone -- and
I think it is; my breasts feel different today, more
'normal' than since before I conceived, and I'm not
leaking anymore, nor can I get anything out with the
pump -- is it gone for good (or at least till I have
another baby) or is it possible for desperate measures
to restart it again?
Old April 1st 04, 12:19 AM
New York Jen

"Naomi Rivkis" wrote in message
[...]

Naomi,

I'm sorry you're going through this. Are you supplementing with formula?
What makes you think you're drying up other than the fact that you're not
leaking and you can't get much with a pump? Is your baby wetting diapers
and pooping?

I was convinced all the time with Laszlo that my milk was drying up - just
being paranoid about it all the time. At first I used the pump as a direct
indicator of how much milk I was producing, until I learned that it is NOT a
good indicator of that AT ALL. As a matter of fact, my son was gaining
beautifully and I was lucky most days if I could pump 1 ounce.

Without knowing your supplementing situation, I'd have to say to keep
nursing as much as possible. Also, leaking doesn't happen forever, so it's
possible that your baby's still getting enough milk, just that you've
adjusted to the demand and that you don't leak anymore.

Good luck, keep us posted,

Jen

Old April 1st 04, 01:36 AM
Naomi Rivkis

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:19:45 GMT, "New York Jen"
wrote:

[...]

I know she's not getting enough from me; we've had to supplement with
formula almost from the beginning. She would drain me and then howl
for more. I've tried to use the pump to stimulate more flow, so that I
could *stop* supplementing, but it's gotten worse instead of better. I
think she's still getting some from me, because she does stay on the
breast for a while even when she's hungry, and she's swallowing. But
she doesn't get anywhere near enough given the quantity of formula she
gulps down after she's finished with the breasts.

Naomi
Old April 1st 04, 01:41 AM
HollyLewis

Anyway, the question is, if it's honestly gone -- and
I think it is; my breasts feel different today, more
'normal' than since before I conceived, and I'm not
leaking anymore, nor can I get anything out with the
pump -- is it gone for good

Well, first off, none of those things are really good indicators of your milk
supply. Although engorgement, leaking and pumping easily can be reassuring,
the lack of those things does not mean your baby isn't getting sufficient milk.

So do you have any other reasons for thinking you're drying up? How often have
you been pumping or using formula instead of nursing? Has the baby started
solid foods? (I can't recall how old she is.) How's your baby's diaper count
and weight gain?

Second, of course you can rebuild your milk supply, if in fact it is low, as
long as the reason for the problem isn't some strange underlying hormonal issue
or the like (or another pregnancy!). The main thing you would need to do is
just nurse the baby very frequently. (And don't supplement at all, though if
you've been using a lot of formula you may need to cut back gradually.) Other
things that would help are to stay as rested and hydrated as possible, reduce
or eliminate stress (which does not affect supply directly, but can inhibit
letdown), and take galactagogues (oatmeal, fenugreek, Domperidone).

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old April 1st 04, 03:14 AM
Dagny

wrote:

I know she's not getting enough from me; we've had to supplement with
formula almost from the beginning. She would drain me and then howl
for more. I've tried to use the pump to stimulate more flow, so that I
could *stop* supplementing, but it's gotten worse instead of better. I
think she's still getting some from me, because she does stay on the
breast for a while even when she's hungry, and she's swallowing. But
she doesn't get anywhere near enough given the quantity of formula she
gulps down after she's finished with the breasts.

I read about this somewhere -- I read that they can appear to be ravenous
but really it's that the bottle nipple just keeps dumping liquid into their
mouths, and they have to swallow it or choke, and then they fall asleep from
exhaustion!

-- Dagny

Old April 1st 04, 03:31 AM
Naomi Rivkis

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 02:14:51 GMT, "Dagny" wrote:

I read about this somewhere -- I read that they can appear to be ravenous
but really it's that the bottle nipple just keeps dumping liquid into their
mouths, and they have to swallow it or choke, and then they fall asleep from
exhaustion!

I *wish* she'd fall asleep! She sleeps relatively little for a
five-week-old. My pediatrician says it's a sign of a smart baby, that
she's so alert, but it's driving us nuts. I do think she's honestly
hungry as much of the time as she acts like, because it isn't just
that she keeps swallowing -- it's that she cries when it's taken away
from her, and that she latches on enthusiastically to a breast or a
finger or a pacifier or something else that doesn't have milk in it
(after she'd finished whatever I have in my breasts at the time) and
then after a minute of ro of vigorous sucking spits it out with an
outraged howl and looks around for something else. You can almost hear
her saying "Hey!! Gimme one with milk in it, dammit! What do I have to
do to get service around here?!?"

Naomi
Old April 1st 04, 07:42 AM
CY

Hi Naomi

Sorry to hear that you are having problems but it is possible to relactate
even if you have completely dried up (it's even possible for adoptive
mothers to lactate), but it is going to take commitment. I strongly suggest
you see an good IBCLC. It's very much worth it if you get a good one and
you can find one in your area by going he
http://www.breastfeeding.com/directory/lcdirectory.html

Some other things you can do:

1) Stop bottles and pacifiers immediately. Any supplementation should be
done using a syringe or a cup (or an SNS might be good in your case to
increase your supply - this is another good reason to see an LC as they can
show you how to use it properly). Your baby's sucking needs should be met
by the breast and nothing else.

2) Eat oatmeal

3) Use Lactaflow or More Milk (or something with Fenugreek/Blessed Thistle
etc.) rather than Mothers Milk (which is not a very strong galactalogue)

4) If you can spend the weekend in bed nursing (I don't know if you have
another child, but if so could you get someone to help you this weekend?)
skin to skin and just nurse round the clock, that will help your supply

5) Push extra fluids. It's very important. I found the only way I could do
this when my DD was a newborn was to make a pitcher of ice water and put it
in a central place. Every time I saw the pitcher I filled my glass. Sports
bottles are another good way - have them all around the house where ever you
nurse.

6) Try to get it out of your head that she must be hungry because she eats a
whole bottle of formula after you're done nursing. Breastfeeding is all
about supply and demand. The less you nurse the less your body produces.
Putting your baby to breast is the best way to increase your supply. Like
Dagny said, she may just be eating the formula because it's there and not
because she's as hungry as all that. Obviously your supply is not where it
needs to be if you've been supplementing from day 1, but once you start
supplementing with bottles, it can be a very slippery slope. Better to fix
it now than wait, so whatever you can do *now* is gong to save you a lot of
other stuff later.

Please keep us posted and ask as many questions as you need!! Good luck!

{{Naomi}}

CY

Old April 1st 04, 01:50 PM
Sue

Naomi Rivkis wrote in message
I do think she's honestly
hungry as much of the time as she acts like, because it isn't just
that she keeps swallowing -- it's that she cries when it's taken away
from her, and that she latches on enthusiastically to a breast or a
finger or a pacifier or something else that doesn't have milk in it
(after she'd finished whatever I have in my breasts at the time) and
then after a minute of ro of vigorous sucking spits it out with an
outraged howl and looks around for something else. You can almost hear
her saying "Hey!! Gimme one with milk in it, dammit! What do I have to
do to get service around here?!?"

Your breasts don't ever empty. If you are commited to breastfeeding
exclusively, then you need to stop supplementing. You are telling your
breasts that you don't need to build up your supply and soon you will have
to use formula 100%. If this is something that your are wanting to do, then
you are on the right track. But, if you want to exclusively breastfeed, then
like I said you need to realize that nursing the baby ALL the time is what
will increase your supply. Drinking lots of water and eating some oatmeal
will increase your supply.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old April 1st 04, 05:46 PM
iphigenia

Naomi Rivkis wrote:

(Hi, Naomi, nice to see you over here!*)

I know she's not getting enough from me; we've had to supplement with
formula almost from the beginning.

OK. That's pretty much the REASON you've had supply problems. The first
weeks are critical in establishing supply, and every ounce of formula is an
ounce of milk that your breasts are being told not to make.

She would drain me and then howl
for more.

Breasts don't empty. Ever. In fact, most of the milk taken during a nursing
session is made on the fly, not stored up beforehand.

Here's my suggestion: offer the breast a LOT. Spend a weekend doing just
about nothing but nursing. Decrease the amount of formula you offer by an
ounce per day. Keep an eye on diaper output while you do this, to make sure
she's still getting enough, but with that cautious rate of decreasing
formula, your breasts shouldn't have a problem picking up the slack.

Just for convenience, I'm going to answer two of your posts he

I do think she's honestly
hungry as much of the time as she acts like, because it isn't just
that she keeps swallowing -- it's that she cries when it's taken away
from her,

By "it," do you mean the breast or the bottle?

and that she latches on enthusiastically to a breast or a
finger or a pacifier or something else that doesn't have milk in it
(after she'd finished whatever I have in my breasts at the time) and
then after a minute of ro of vigorous sucking spits it out with an
outraged howl and looks around for something else.

It sounds like she's not done sucking or is still hungry. Put her back to
the breast. As I stated above, your breasts aren't empty; they aren't
flesh-covered bottles, they don't work that way.

--
tristyn (*former SRM moderator)
www.tristyn.net

Old April 2nd 04, 03:02 PM
Karen

I'm afraid it sounds like you have fallen prey to the first time mother "I'm
not making enough milk, must supplement" syndrome. But that is pretty easy
to fix, particularly since your baby is so young. Like the ladies here have
said, you need to stop supplementing, dropping the formula feeding by an
ounce per day. Do not read into the reactions the baby has to the bottle-
like ravenous sucking, etc. I know with my first two kids, I had to just
stop myself from attaching motivation to their actions - oh, he's spitting
out the nipple, he's pushing me away, he doesn't want to nurse, he'd rather
have a bottle...oh, he's screaming, he's starving, oh, he just gulped down
that formula - he must love that more than my milk....You need to be firm
and rational about breastfeeding. Diaper output and weight gain should be
your big cue here about the baby's status.

I can remember having just one baby and thinking he took up all my time, but
honestly, you will look back and wonder what on earth kept you so busy (when
you have two or three or four...one small baby will be the least of
it...it'll still be about #1, who's always doing something new!). You must
take care of yourself. Leave out sport bottles of ice water and drink them
all day. At one point, to increase my production, I drank over a gallon of
water (may have been flavored with Crystal Light) per day. I also think
Fenugreek works well. Buy easy things to eat for yourself - containers of
yogurt or cottage cheese, single serving meals, even microwave lunches -
things you can grab that take little preparation. Wear the baby in a Baby
Bjorn/sling so you can get things done. I assume a 5 week old sleeps at
least a few hours during the day - use that time to take care of yourself
(I'm assuming you are home - even if you work, you'd still be on maternity
leave?).

I recently had a production problem precipitated by bad colds for both my
5.5 month old and me - between the cold medicine for me and his lack of
interest, it was very bad. I was very worried because my breasts also felt
slack. Lots of water and fenugreek plus constant nursing/pumping made
things better. I nursed and then used an Isis to keep sending the message
that more was needed - and with an exclusively BF 5.5 month old, that's a
lot. I also got up in the night to pump. It's a supply and demand issue -
you need to get the message to your body that it needs to up it's output.
Bottles of formula kill the whole feedback system.

Good luck. It's hard, I know, but you can turn this around!

Karen

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. LaVonne Carlson General 22 December 7th 03 05:27 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM
Will milk supply rebound--toddler? Spanannie Breastfeeding 3 September 8th 03 07:17 PM