The State of Latino Children in our National Child Welfare System

Old June 25th 03, 04:54 PM
Wex Wimpy

Default The State of Latino Children in our National Child Welfare System

The State of Latino Children in our National Child Welfare System
Tue Jun 24, 3:14 PM ET

Contact: Cristian Correa of the Committee for Hispanic Children and
Families, Inc., 212-206-1090 or

NEW YORK, June 24 /U.S. Newswire/ -- It has been well documented that
the Latino population has grown dramatically over the past decade.
Latino children, above all, have increased to become the second
largest group of children in this nation.

Despite the rapid growth of Latino children, social service agencies
have created "one-size-fits-all" solutions rather than modifying
practices and policies that meet the cultural and linguistic
characteristics of the Latino community. Our child welfare system,
particularly, has not been able to effectively respond to the unique
needs of the increasing number of Latino children in its clientele
population. According to federal data, of the 568,000 children that
were placed in foster care in 1999, 15 percent were Latino; nearly
doubling from 1990 when 8 percent of Latino children were placed in
foster care.

Data presented in the Committee for Hispanic Children and Families'
(CHCF) latest publication, Creating a Child Welfare Agenda: A
Strategic Framework for Change, points to the over-representation of
Latino children in foster care population throughout the nation.
Latino children make up over 50 percent of the foster care population
in New Mexico; more than 30 percent in Arizona, California,
Connecticut, and Texas; and at least 20 percent in Colorado and
Massachusetts. Furthermore, data published from New York State's
Office of Children and Family Services reports that Latino children
under the age of 18 make-up 21.5 percent of New York City's foster
care cases and 38 percent of children receiving preventive services.

In order to effectively respond to the advocacy needs of the Latino
community, CHCF spearheaded the advocacy efforts of the Latino Child
Welfare Collaborative (LCWC). LCWC was developed with the mission of
providing a Latino perspective to child welfare policy in order to
enhance the well-being of Latino children and families throughout New
York City.

In order to continue to provide Latino children and families with an
active voice in the policy arena, LCWC will hold a press conference on
Thursday, June 26, 2003 at 1:30 p.m. at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in
New York City. The press conference will be in the Westside Ballroom,
5th Floor, in the Career Expo room.

The press conference will be hosted by the National Association of
Hispanic Journalists during their national conference. We will include
the voices of Latino child welfare advocates, leaders and stories from
parents who have encountered obstacles in our child welfare system.

Come and learn the difficulties and challenges Latino children face in
the child welfare system.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...180/4hoqh.html