Vit C: Retired surgeon megadoses Vit C for 20 years...

Old October 11th 04, 04:25 AM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Vit C: Retired surgeon megadoses Vit C for 20 years...

Vit C: RETIRED SURGEON MEGADOSES VIT C FOR 20 YEARS...

Steve Hickey, PhD, co-author of Ascorbate: The Science of Vitamin C was
quoted:

"[A] skeptical, retired surgeon, has...been on vitamin C for about 20 years,
since having a heart bypass operation. I think he started it as a placebo,
as supplementing was easier
than dealing with the repeated suggestions that he needed it! However, from
a recent scan, his arteries are clear and, now he has read the book, he is
starting to think there might be something in it after all."
--Steve Hickey, PhD, co-author of Ascorbate: The Science of Vitamin C.
Interview.
DOCTOR YOURSELF NEWSLETTER (Vol. 4, No. 22, for October 20, 2004)

The retired surgeon is the father of Hilary Roberts, PhD, co-author with
Hickey of:

Hickey S and Roberts H. Ascorbate: The science of vitamin C. 2004. ISBN
1-4116-0724-4. Morrisville, NC: Lulu.com. http://www.lulu.com

How much Vit C do "Ascorbate" co-authors Drs. Hickey and Roberts and family
take?

"It varies - several grams a day at least, more if we feel under the
weather. We take it at intervals throughout the day. My (grown-up) children
take similar amounts."

I take crystalline Vit C when I remember to do so - apparently about 4 grams
a day if,

2 teaspoons a day (= about 8 g/day)
http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/cg...nc&pollpage=12

I take it the dissolved Vit C crystals straight, my wife adds stevia for
sweetness.

I rinse my mouth with a baking soda/sodium bicarbonate solution immediate
after followed by fresh water.

Just like the retired surgeon - I think there might be something in
megadosing this "placebo."

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS FINALLY, MY USUAL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

I very much appreciate that Dr. Saul says on his website:

"[C]ontact Todd Gastaldo, D.C.
for postural
information that can help to insure that MDs and CN Midwives don't
complicate delivery by closing the birth canal by up to 30%."
http://www.doctoryourself.com/pregnancy_lactation.html

FACT: OBs and CNMwives are closing birth canals up to 30% in MOST births.

It's easy for women to allow their birth canals to OPEN the "extra" up to
30% - all they have to do is roll onto their side as they push their babies
out. Women should talk to their OBs and CNMwives about this.

A medical doctor in Great Britain seems to agree with "my" biomechanics...

Though she does not seem to agree with me that closing the birth canal is an
obvious obstetric felony...

See Obstetric roof on fire! (The problem and Dr. Sarah...)

Finally...

PREGNANT AND CONSTIPATED? Vit C might help - ask your doctor...

Dr. Saul says on his Pregnancy and Lactation page:

"Constipation is quite common during gestation. It is also quite easy to
avoid (how-to information posted elsewhere on this website)."
http://www.doctoryourself.com/pregnancy_lactation.html

To subscribe for free to Dr. Andrew Saul's DOCTOR YOURSELF NEWSLETTER:

I make no money promoting Dr. Saul's website.

Old October 11th 04, 07:48 AM
Samantha C.

Very interesting but I have heard that women who take megadoses of Vitamin C
have a harder time of concieving and a higher rate of miscarriage ...

Samantha,
Oklahoma

Old October 11th 04, 08:56 AM
Todd Gastaldo

"Samantha C." wrote in message
Very interesting but I have heard that women who take megadoses of Vitamin
C have a harder time of concieving and a higher rate of miscarriage ...

Interesting - if you remember the source please post it.

They probably weren't using megadoses - but here is a study regarding Vit C
supplementation in infertility treatment.

Cent Eur J Public Health. 2003 Jun;11(2):63-7. Related Articles, Links

Ascorbic acid and infertility treatment.

Crha I, Hruba D, Ventruba P, Fiala J, Totusek J, Visnova H.

Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Faculty of Medicine, Masaryk
University, Obilni trh 11, 602 00 Brno, Czech Republic.

AIM OF THE STUDY: To assess the ascorbic acid (AA) in the follicular fluid
in women treated by in vitro fertilization and embryonic transfer levels
(IVF/ET) and to analyse the influence of vitamin C supplementation on the
results of infertility treatment. TYPE OF THE STUDY: Prospective study in
women treated by IVF/ET. METHODS: The influence of vitamin C supplementation
on the outcome of infertility treatment in the assisted reproduction
programme in 76 women (38 of them smokers, 38 non-smokers) was studied. Half
the women (19 smokers and 19 non-smokers) were administered vitamin C in
daily doses of 500 mg in so-called pellets allowing for gradual release over
8 to 12 hours. The control group consisted of the same number of smokers and
non-smokers. In all the women, ascorbic acid levels were determined in two
urine samples (prior to supplementation and at follicle retrieval) and in
follicular fluid by means of a colorimetric method. Ovarian response to
hormonal stimulation with gonadotropins (hMG, FSH) at a dosage of 150-225 IU
per day combined with GnRH analogues in the short (buserelin) or long
(triptorelin) protocols, and 5,000-10,000 IU of human chorionic gonadotropin
was evaluated based on the number of follicles created and number of
retrieved oocytes. Fertilisation was assessed, based on the number of
successfully fertilised oocytes (fertilisation rate) and based on the number
of cultivated embryos. The success of the infertility treatment was
evaluated based on the number of pregnancies. RESULTS: Ascorbic acid levels
in follicles were significantly higher (p 0.001) in women with vitamin C
supplementation than in the control group (8.98 +/- 5.09 vs. 5.04 +/- 2.85
mg/l). The administration of vitamin C during the period of hormonal
stimulation showed a statistically insignificant impact in terms of the
higher number of pregnancies (34.2% vs. 23.7%). Vitamin supplementation had
a greater impact on the number of pregnancies in the non-smokers' group
(57.9% vs. 31.6%). The pregnancy rate was significantly higher (p 0.01) in
non-smoking women than in smokers--44.7% vs. 13.2%, which appears to be a
reason for asking women to cease smoking prior to infertility treatment.

Todd

Old October 11th 04, 11:13 AM
Buzzy Bee

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 01:48:47 -0500, "Samantha C."
wrote:

Very interesting but I have heard that women who take megadoses of Vitamin C
have a harder time of concieving and a higher rate of miscarriage ...

I know I read a study at the beginning of the year that indicated mega
doses of Vitamin C could act as an abortificant, but I can't for the
life of me remember where it was.

I always remember my ex used Ascorbic Acid to decontaminate
radioactive skips. Enough of the stuff can kill you I suspect.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7th May 2003, 17 hours. http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com
EDD 11th March 2005