Epidemic: Thank you Dr. Wakefield

Old May 13th 05, 05:33 PM
Mark Probert

Default Epidemic: Thank you Dr. Wakefield

England, Wales in grip of mumps epidemic Fri May 13, 8:54 AM ET

http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/nm/200...s_dc&printer=1

England and Wales are in the grip of a mumps epidemic affecting mostly
adolescents and young adults, scientists said on Friday.

More than 5,000 cases of the disease, which causes swelling and pain in one
or both of the salivary glands, have been reported in the first five months
of 2005.

Last year there were 16,436 sufferers - four times as many as the previous
year.

"The current mumps outbreak has been predominantly in older teenagers and
young adults, who have not been offered two doses of MMR," said Emma Savage
of the Health Protection Agency, referring to the controversial measles,
mumps and rubella vaccination.

Cases of mumps fell after MMR was introduced in 1988, and the highest
outbreak of new cases is in people born between 1983 and 1986, who were too
old to be offered the MMR jab.

"This confirms the effectiveness of the current vaccination policy," Savage
and her colleagues said in a report in the British Medical Journal.

In a separate study in the journal, Ravindra Gupta and colleagues at St
Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust in London warned that younger children could
also be at risk because of a fall in MMR vaccinations in two-year-olds.

Uptake of the triple jab dropped from around 92 percent in 1995 to about 80
percent in 2003-04 after parents began boycotting it because a study
suggested a link to autism or bowel disease. Fears about the safety of the
MMR jab have persisted despite a review of the medical evidence that found
no link with autism. The British government and the World Health
Organization have also said the vaccination is safe.

"This epidemic underlines the importance of ensuring that all children and
young adults have received two doses of MMR," Gupta added.

Most cases of mumps are mild, but when complications occur they can be
serious.

Britain's National Health Service (NHS) says about one in four adolescent
boys or adult men with mumps develop an inflammation of one or both testes,
which can be very painful.

If it affects both testes, there is some evidence to suggest it may lead to
sterility, the NHS said on its Web Site.

Old May 14th 05, 01:53 AM

Andrew Wakefield is a sad case. He started out with what I am sure
were the best of intentions (to explore the null hypothesis that the
MMR might not pose any health risk autism), but he was blinded by
the allure of international recognition and forgot his role as a
researcher.

His misguided attempt to adhere to an unsupported hypothesis (that the
MMR is a risk factor for development of autism), even in the face of
overwhelming evidence (his n=12 study versus the Dutch n=300,000
study), further supports the idea that he has become drunk with
fame...even though he (should) know(s) that he actually is dead wrong.

10 of the original 13 authors of his "groundbreaking" study have
disavowed any adherence to his conclusions vis-a-vis the evidence
collected (the other three include Wakefield, one supporter, and a dead
guy who can no longer speak for himself at this point in time), yet
people still use his flawed study as a reason to rail against the use
of the MMR...

....and here we see the results.

Anyone seen the latest stats on measles in Bavaria?

Mark, MD

Old May 14th 05, 09:02 AM
Peter Moran

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Or polio in Africa and Indonesia? It is not looking good for those who
oppose vaccinations.

http://tinyurl.com/d9chl

http://www.comcast.net/news/health/i...14/132349.html

Peter Moran

Old May 16th 05, 04:22 PM
john

wrote in message
ups.com...
Andrew Wakefield is a sad case. He started out with what I am sure
were the best of intentions (to explore the null hypothesis that the
MMR might not pose any health risk autism), but he was blinded by
the allure of international recognition and forgot his role as a
researcher.

******** to that, you vaccinators have to think that or your world would
crumble

Old May 16th 05, 04:53 PM
Jeff

"john" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Andrew Wakefield is a sad case. He started out with what I am sure
were the best of intentions (to explore the null hypothesis that the
MMR might not pose any health risk autism), but he was blinded by
the allure of international recognition and forgot his role as a
researcher.

******** to that, you vaccinators have to think that or your world would
crumble

I don't know why Wakefield said what he said.

The reality of the matter is that vaccines save millions of lives a year.
And they have been proven safe.

Jeff

Old May 16th 05, 05:19 PM
Mark Probert

He's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK....

"john" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Andrew Wakefield is a sad case. He started out with what I am sure
were the best of intentions (to explore the null hypothesis that the
MMR might not pose any health risk autism), but he was blinded by
the allure of international recognition and forgot his role as a
researcher.

******** to that, you vaccinators have to think that or your world would
crumble

Wakefield was driven by:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old May 16th 05, 10:42 PM
LadyLollipop

"Jeff" wrote in message
news

"john" wrote in message

ups.com...

http://www.wnho.net/vaccine_coverup.htm

Old May 16th 05, 11:04 PM
Rich

"LadyLollipop" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
news

"john" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Andrew Wakefield is a sad case. He started out with what I am sure
were the best of intentions (to explore the null hypothesis that the
MMR might not pose any health risk autism), but he was blinded by
the allure of international recognition and forgot his role as a
researcher.

******** to that, you vaccinators have to think that or your world would
crumble

I don't know why Wakefield said what he said.

The reality of the matter is that vaccines save millions of lives a year.
And they have been proven safe.

Jeff

http://www.wnho.net/vaccine_coverup.htm

Posting a link to a whacko anti-vac site doesn't say anything, Jan. Keyboard
broke?

Now, smallpox has killed more people on this planet than all other
infectious diseases put together. It has killed more people than all the
wars in history. Vaccines have eradicated smallpox, and it no longer kills
people. Polio may be eliminated in the near future in a similar
fashon.Thanks to vaccinations, many young pediatricians have never seen a
case of mumps or measles. I think those are good things, don't you?

--Rich

Old May 17th 05, 03:59 AM
David Wright

In article ,
john wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Andrew Wakefield is a sad case. He started out with what I am sure
were the best of intentions (to explore the null hypothesis that the
MMR might not pose any health risk autism), but he was blinded by
the allure of international recognition and forgot his role as a
researcher.

******** to that, you vaccinators have to think that or your world would
crumble

Poor John. I can't wait for his explanation of why mumps and measles
rates are shooting up in England (in the wake of reduced vaccination).

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
"I don't need someone to tell me that George W. Bush is a
deceitful, corrupt, clever and destructive man--that's pretty
clear on the face of it." -- Garrison Keillor