Gina Ford and Mumsnet

Old August 15th 06, 05:20 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.people.parents.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding,uk.people.parents
paulfoel

Default Gina Ford and Mumsnet

wrote:

Clip of statement from Mumsnet on the Mumsnet/Gina Ford 'libel'
allegations issue.

Full text he
http://www.mumsnet.com/ginaford/state08082006.html

Clip begins:
The parenting website, Mumsnet, last night responded to allegations by
parenting guru Gina Ford that a posting on the site claiming she:
"straps babies to rockets and fires them into south Lebanon" was "a
serious and very offensive libel".

In a statement, Justine Roberts, co-founder of Mumsnet said: "It is
undoubtedly a tasteless joke, particularly under current circumstances,
but when the post appeared on our site no-one imagined even the most
humourless reader could possibly take it seriously. But evidently we
were wrong."

Earlier in the day, "MorningPaper", the mother who sparked the internet
libel row with her posting about Ms Ford, wrote an apology on the
community website, which is used by 250,000 mothers every month.

She said: "I apologise profusely to any childcare guru that I may have
offended by suggesting that they are involved in military action in
Lebanon and her followers for suggesting that she/they strap their
babies to weapons of mass destruction. I have read her book many times
and I can confirm that this IS NOT suggested as part of any childcare
guru's recommended routine.

I apologise to any new mums who may have been confused by my post and
would advise that if you are considering utilising your baby in any
sort of warfare or military conflict, please speak to your health
visitor first." Last night Mark Stephens, the lawyer acting for Mumsnet
said: "The fact that lawyers are even involved in a discussion about
something which is manifestly a silly joke highlights just how
completely bonkers the law in this area is."

End clip

Not the cleverest or most constructive comment in the world, but
methinks that Ms Ford is probably more upset about the publicity and
everyone knowing that some people disagree with her....