introducing faith/religion to kids

Old June 12th 08, 04:11 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

Default introducing faith/religion to kids

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 21:58:27 -0400, Ericka Kammerer
wrote:

We don't wait until people are adults
before teaching them math, science, or language skills. We also
shouldn't wait until they're adults to teach them to evaluate the
facts, form opinions, and speak about them. That should happen
right alongside reading "Henry and Mudge" and learning to write.

Sure. I'm asking for a *higher* standard, not a lower
one in terms of critical thinking. And there are *plenty* of
opportunities to learn critical thinking at school without being
unmannerly.

And many of those opportunities are objected to by Fundamentalists
because they involve the examination of beliefs that are *against*
their religious beliefs. Anytime you examine ethical dilemmas, you
risk overturning various religious dogmas.

Just try presenting something like this to high school students in the
appropriate class.

http://www.goodcharacter.com/dilemma/dilemma.html

“There are certain times,” thought Lisa, “when you know things have
gone from really bad to out of control.” The party had started out
fine, like they always do. And things got a little crazy, like they
always do. But Lisa’s friend Sarah, a small framed senior had had way
too much alcohol and had been throwing up for an hour while going in
and out of consciousness. There were no adults around and they were
miles from the nearest town, at somebody’s vacation home.

“We need to call 911 or take Sarah to the hospital now!” Lisa said to
the group of five friends in the bathroom with Sarah.

“No way,” one of the girls said. “We’d be in so much trouble. My
parents cannot know I’m even here! If they find out, this will be my
last time out of the house before leaving for college!”

Lisa felt more scared than ever before in her life. She felt in her
gut that Sarah was worse off than any of them could deal with, and if
they didn’t get help she might even die. But what if she was wrong?
What if everything gets better in an hour and everyone hates her for
making a huge deal out of just a “bad situation” at a party?

The girls continued arguing. Three of them agreed with Lisa. Two of
them were adamant about dealing with it on their own. Lisa felt like
time was running out. What should she do?

**********************
This case represents the classic stereotype and a parent’s worst
nightmare. Those of us who work with teens hear modified versions of
this story more times than the average person might think. It
demonstrates how teenagers need constant reminders about calling for
help when things become dangerous. They must develop the tools to
recognize danger and to resist the pressure to downplay that danger
when the consequences could change their lives forever. It is still
mortifying to me to hear my students talk about how often they were in
a party situation over their heads and simply prayed it would work out
all right. And then, of course, there are times when it doesn’t, and
we all have had the awful experience of witnessing a few of those as
well.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old June 12th 08, 04:30 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

wrote:

We don't wait until people are adults
before teaching them math, science, or language skills. We also
shouldn't wait until they're adults to teach them to evaluate the
facts, form opinions, and speak about them. That should happen
right alongside reading "Henry and Mudge" and learning to write.

Sure. I'm asking for a *higher* standard, not a lower
one in terms of critical thinking. And there are *plenty* of
opportunities to learn critical thinking at school without being
unmannerly.

And many of those opportunities are objected to by Fundamentalists
because they involve the examination of beliefs that are *against*
their religious beliefs. Anytime you examine ethical dilemmas, you
risk overturning various religious dogmas.

Yes, and...? I'm in agreement that this is a problem.
That's why I'm suggesting that less dogmatic approaches are
useful in a multicultural society.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old June 12th 08, 07:02 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

wrote:

[...]

In our public schools, I think that teaching critical thinking through
ethical dilemmas is a good thing, but it won't fly here.

I do think it is best done in middle school and up rather than in the
elementary grades, but we do place an emphasis on this at home even
with our kindergartener.

I think what you don't get is that in many places in the US, it is NOT
a multicultural society locally. Thus the majority thinks that they
should be able to dominate and single people or small minorities are
persecuted *even* in the public school setting.

Our *suburb* is multicultural to an extent. The school population is
probably 75% Christian though. Thus people see nothing wrong with
starting the PTA meeting or School Board Meeting with a Christian
prayer despite objections to this from those who don't believe.

Many small rural areas in Texas are similar to the LDS enclave. They
may not be a *cult,* but they believe that their views are the only
ones that should be expressed in the public square.

Best wishes,

Ericka

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old June 12th 08, 08:04 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

wrote:

[...]

Which is a shame.

I do think it is best done in middle school and up rather than in the
elementary grades,

Agreed.

but we do place an emphasis on this at home even
with our kindergartener.

I think it's appropriate to do it at home younger, but
wait a bit to do it in a more public setting. With your daughter
you're one-on-one and you can gauge the content to her abilities.
A public discussion of some of these issues means that no one
really has any idea what some child might blurt out. That's a
bit of a risky business when they're very young.

I think what you don't get is that in many places in the US, it is NOT
a multicultural society locally. Thus the majority thinks that they
should be able to dominate and single people or small minorities are
persecuted *even* in the public school setting.

I'm not stupid. I *do* get that. I've lived in quite
a few areas around the country. I don't think it changes what
I've said, however.

Best wishes,
Ericka