Fundraising ideas for Boy Scout troop

Old June 15th 08, 12:56 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

Default Fundraising ideas for Boy Scout troop

In article , toypup says...

"Banty" wrote in message
Bake sales I don't think would fly (all the moms would kill me). Sales
would
hit an oversold set of folks, I think.

The bake auctions have done so well for us and I must admit, I get excited.
I am oversold on most fundraisers, but I happily contribute to these,
because they are so fun, and all the money goes to the cubs, not just a cut
of the profits. The ingredients and time are donated, as are the proceeds
of the auction. The auction is only amongst the cub parents, so we are
doing all the support, but it makes hundreds of dollars in just a one
evening.

The main thing is, we like competing against each other to see who can make
the best baked goods and we compete to see whose goods make the most money.
Considering I don't like to cook, this is fun! The Feller Cake Bake is a
blast to see what the men and boys can come up with . The cakes get so
creative and everyone loves bidding it up. DH and DS's cake got the fourth
highest bids this past bake and DH is already planning what to do next year
to do even better.

I might work for Cubs who are younger and the Cub Scout program is set up much
more as a family endeavor. But it's come up already for the Boy Scout troop and
was pretty much shouted down.

Banty

Old June 15th 08, 12:57 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , toypup says...

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Banty wrote:

Car wash is a pretty good idea. My son nixed it because the local
cheerleading
squad does it, but he might have to get over that mental association.

I'm trying to dust off some old memories. I seem to
remember painting house numbers on curbs for donations being
surprisingly lucrative, though one would have to check local
regulations.
I think car washes can be a good idea, but you
need to be well organized for it to be a good moneymaker.
Concessions seem to do well if there's an attractive
event you can hook up with. Our 6th graders make quite a lot of
money for their celebration by selling pizza/drinks/desserts
at school functions like science fair night (when parents
are having trouble finding time for dinner *and* the school
event). I'm not sure what events you'd hook up with, but
maybe something would come to mind.

Concessions is a good idea. Also for our Fourth of July parade, it gets so
hot, the people selling water/drinks or ice cream up and down the route make
a killing.

It has public exposure, too.

How do you get started with consessions? Where do you get the stuff? I suppose
permits are needed, but it's a good and friendly town hall.

Banty

Old June 15th 08, 01:35 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

Banty wrote:

[...]

I don't know about the logistics, but I've often thought some group
should try selling coffee and hot chocolate during the fall soccer
season here, and water/lemonade during the spring. It depends on the
time of the games - from posts here, I gather that some city rec leagues
run most games on weekday nights. Here, they're mostly on Saturday
mornings, and even here in S.C., a hot drink at 9 a.m. on an October
morning would be welcome.

Clisby
Old June 15th 08, 02:04 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Does your library have a book sale of surplus books? Ours does about
once a year, and so did my mom's alma mater. They collect books
throughout the year and then have a sale.

Could you have an auction? They could collect items from people to
auction. Stuff that I've donated to Freecycle has gone to church
auctions.

I was also trying to think of a service that the boys could sell -
like lessons on how to use computers or something like that.

Old June 16th 08, 04:52 PM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

Banty wrote:

It has public exposure, too.

How do you get started with consessions? Where do you get the stuff? I suppose
permits are needed, but it's a good and friendly town hall.

Banty

Our boy scout troups sell pop and popcorn at the 4th of July celebration
too and I'm sure they make a lot. I think they go through the city for
that. We have a 'River Boat Days' event here and they have a spot to
sell food their too. We have a River Boat Days committtee that they
talk to in order to get their food barn slot. I'm sure they make a
killing as thousands of people go there.

I was part of a service group that did concessions for the local
baseball league. We sold at every home game. It wasn't a giant money
maker but it was a fair amount and it is something I'd imagine the
scouts would enjoy doing. IIRC they contacted the head of the baseball
association or the city and just put in a proposal for it. I don't
think there was any competition but if there was you'd have to have the
best proposal I think.
Old June 16th 08, 05:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Nikki says...

Banty wrote:

[...]

Our Scoutmaster is now telling me especially the older boys hate anything that
*has* exposure, because they're dealing with Boy Scouts still having a stigma
:-(

Stigma as in "what a Boy Scout" meaning some silly gung ho person; based on it
just being unkewl to be a Scout in junior high or high school.

Dumb dumb dumb. Hate that sort of thing.

Banty

Old June 16th 08, 07:07 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

Banty wrote:
In article , Nikki says...
Banty wrote:

[...]

How can you do fundraising without exposure? Unless you rely on the
parents to do it all, which would be a nonstarter for me.

Clisby
Old June 16th 08, 07:28 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Clisby says...

Banty wrote:
In article , Nikki says...
Banty wrote:

[...]

Well, the bottle and can work does not have that much exposure, for example.

It's dumb, though. I don't think it's a reason to throw an idea away; I didn't
mean to discourage any ideas. It's just frustrating that things are this way
with teens. Kinda brings back my teen years where I detested much of what was
going on around me (adult life is *so* much saner and easier).

We'll have a parent meeting about this at some point during the summer.

Banty

Old June 16th 08, 08:06 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:23:46 -0400, Ericka Kammerer
wrote:

I think car washes can be a good idea, but you
need to be well organized for it to be a good moneymaker.

What about raking leaves or mowing lawns?

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old June 16th 08, 08:09 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On 16 Jun 2008 09:00:48 -0700, Banty wrote:

Stigma as in "what a Boy Scout" meaning some silly gung ho person; based on it
just being unkewl to be a Scout in junior high or high school.

Yeah, girl scouts who stay in have the same problem in middle and
junior high. That seems to go away in high school though - at least
it did for my dd at her high school.

One thing that helped was that she went to Europe with scouts the
summer before 8th grade.

If your boys have an opportunity to do the London Jamboree, that might
help.

Dumb dumb dumb. Hate that sort of thing.

Me too.

Banty

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

SCOUT SWING SET KIT [email protected] General 0 February 9th 08 09:57 AM
fundraising [email protected] General 1 December 21st 07 09:30 PM
Eagle Scout Fighting for kids Child Support 0 November 2nd 03 11:53 PM
i need fundraising ideas ASAP! pam Twins & Triplets 6 October 9th 03 02:46 PM