misc.kids FAQ on Children's Books Recs. Part1/2

Old November 18th 05, 06:36 AM posted to misc.kids.info,misc.answers,news.answers

Default misc.kids FAQ on Children's Books Recs. Part1/2

Archive-name: misc-kids/books/recs/part1
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-Modified: May 27, 1995
Version: 4.0

Misc.kids Frequently Asked Questions
Children's Books

Collection maintained by: Hilary Morrison,
(Originally compiled by Laura Dolson,
)
Last updated: March 14, 1995

To contribute to this collection, please send e-mail to the
address given above, and ask me to add your comments to the FAQ
file on Children's Books. Please try to be as concise as
possible, as these FAQ files tend to be quite long as it is. And,
unless otherwise requested, your first name and last initial will
remain in the file. Longer, essay-style contributions will
include full name e-mail address, and copyright notice if desired.
For a list of other FAQ topics and how to get the archived
discussions, tune in to misc.kids or misc.kids.info.
Copyright 1994, Laura Dolson. Use and copying of this information
are permitted as long as (1) no fees or compensation are charged
for use, copies or access to this information, and (2) this
copyright notice is included intact.
There are many books listed without authors. If you know the
author's name, PLEASE send me e-mail with book and author and I
will add it to the list. If you have additional comments about
certain books, think a book belongs in a different category or
want to add to this list, send me e-mail. Also there is a list of
books that do not have age recommendations, on which I would like
advice. Please remember that the ages are approximate in any
case. For example, one contributor's 2 yr old really liked Just
So Stories, which are usually recommended for older children. If
your child is quite verbal, or just loves books, don't hesitate to
try out some of the "older" ones, especially if they are well-
written classics. Many 2 and 3 year olds will sit through Pooh
stories, especially the illustrated versions.

Note: near the end of the list is a list of children's books on
certain topics. I am interested in contributions to this list,
particularly books that have helped your children to deal with
difficult issues or help them through transitions.

Send submissions, changes, etc to

..........Children's Books Suggested by misc.kids parents

[Picture Books/2 years and under]

#1 for the younger end of this group is books with large, clear
photographs of familiar objects and babies/toddlers doing
familiar things. Also flap books and baby board books.

Aardema, Verna:What's so funny, Ketu? (featuring our household
catchphrase "Fat, juicy people", which is a thought of a mosquito
in the book. Ketu gets a gift of understanding animals thoughts
but can't tell, and his wife thinks he's laughing at her.); Why
Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears (a Caldecott medal winner.
Mosquito sets off a chain of events which makes everyone mad at
him); Rabbit Makes a Monkey out of Lion (Rabbit outsmarts Lion);
Anansi Finds a Fool (A lazy guy wants to find a partner who will
do all the work while he reaps all the rewards, and his partner
tricks him at his own game) (African folktale picture
books...There are a few other books by this author) [Cici]

Ahlberg, Janet and Allan:The Baby's Catalogue (this was one of his
favorites before he turned 2. [Rec. unknown]); Peepo!; Peek A
Boo!; Each Peach Pear Plum (rhyme [Peggy R.])

Amery, Heather:The First Hundred Words (Also available in Spanish
and French...I would never have bought something that sounded like
a vocabulary wedding book, but this was recommended to me and it's
great. Each open double-page shows a "typical" hectic family
scene with a mother, father and three kids. In each one, the
author has paid some attention to showing the father being very
involved with the kids. So in the living room scene, for example,
mom is hanging a picture with the help of her daughter, dad is
about to give a crying baby a bottle, little boy is stacking up
some cups, dog is watching a TV commercial for dog food, cat is
about to leap on the baby, etc. It's all chaotic and fun. Other
scenes show getting dressed, eating breakfast, washing dishes,
swimming, playing in the park, etc. This book has been a favorite
of my daughter from 14 months through now (20 months) [Tina Van
R.]).

Base, Graeme:Animalia (a really beautiful and colorful alphabet
book by an Australian artist; "the best alphabet book in the
world" There's only one problem with the book - it's far too good
to give to a toddler. Contains a Waldo-esque stripe-shirted child
hiding out in the background. He's on every page - the problem is
to find him! Graeme Base invented and drew the type-face for each
page, because he couldn't find type-faces which complemented each
drawing. [Jane P.])

Baum, Susan:Gear Bear's Busy Farm; Gear Bear's Busy Town

Berenstain, Jan & Stan: The Bears' Picnic (all the picnic spots
that Papa Bear find turn hilariously bad); The Bike Lesson (Papa
Bear teaches Small Bear to ride a bike with examples of what NOT
to do); The Bears' Vacation (Papa Bear teaches Small Bear about
safety at the beach by demonstrating what NOT to do) (these books
belong to the same category as Horton - I remembered them from my
childhood [Cici])

Bess, Clayton:The Truth about the Moon (boy is fascinated with the
moon and is frustrated by the many different folk stories everyone
tells him about it [Cici])

Boynton, Sandra: various titles.

Brett, Jan (Well liked illustrator [Rec. unknown])

Briggs, Raymond:The Snowman

Brown, Margaret Wise:Big Red Barn (illustrated by Felicia Bond.
The illustrations really complement the signature style of Wise
Brown. I especially love the butterfly which appears on most (but
not all) pages--Dylan loves to point it out. [Diane L.]);
Goodnight Moon; Runaway Bunny; Little Fur Family (My daughter is
only marginally interested in the story of this book; its charm is
that is is covered in fur! It's a tiny book that she loves to
carry around. [Kathleen R.]); Wait Till the Moon is Full (One of
my favorites from my own childhood. I always loved the Garth
Williams illustrations and the haunting songs that the mother
racoon sings to her son.[Mimi W.])

Brown, Mark: Hand Rhymes

Cameron, Polly:I Can't Said the Ant (Rhymes. I found
this to be just "ok" [Bruce G.])

Carle, Eric:The Very Hungry Caterpillar; The Very Busy Spider; The
Very Quiet Cricket

Cartlidge, Michelle:Mouse in the House

Degan, Bruce:Jamberry [Peggy R.]

Dijs, Carla:Who Sees you at the (ZOO, FARM, FOREST, OCEAN) (Pop-up
Books)

Dobbs, Norah?:Everybody Eats Rice (A young girls mother sends her
out into the neighborhood to look for her little brother at dinner
time and as she stops at each neighbor's house (in a wonderful
multi-cultural neighborhood) every family is cooking an ethnic
rice dish and she is offered a taste of each one (Barbadan, Puerto
Rican, Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian, and Haitian) When the girl
finally arrives home she is too full to eat her mother's *risi e
bisi*--Italian rice with peas. AND at the end of the book the
recipes for all the dishes are included. [Nola Van V.])

Dodd, Lynley:Hairy Maclary series (from New Zealand. They're about
a rambunctious little shaggy dog and his adventures around the
neighborhood. Great rhyming books, and not dummied down for tots.
[Caren F.])

Eastman, P.D.:Are You My Mother? (classic about hatchling
desperately trying to find his mother [Cici]); Go Dog, Go (NOTE:
this book gets mixed reviews;some parents like it; others (e.g.
Paula B.) think it's terrible (sexist))

Edens, Cooper:The Glorious Mother Goose

Geisel, Theodore (Dr. Seuss):Horton Hears a Who (a favorite of
mine as a kid, and now a favorite of my son's - in case any of you
don't know, an Elephant discovers a microscopic community on a
dustball, vows to protect them [Cici]);Oh, The Thinks You Can
Think [Mike F.]; The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins;Bartholomew
and the Oobleck (Normally, Jamie has little time for Seuss books,
but these are a hit! [Nancy J.N.])

Hadithi, Mwenye and Adrienne Kennaway: Lazy Lion (Bossy Lion tries
to order the other animals to build him a house, but he's not
satisfied with any of them, so he doesn't have a shelter & has to
sit out in the rain); Crafty Chameleon (Chameleon tricks Leopard &
Crocodile into leaving him alone) (African animal tales with great
illustrations - there are several more in the series, but these
are our favorites [Cici])

Herriot, James:The Christmas Day Kitten; The Market Square Dog
etc. [Nancy J.N.]

Hill, Eric:Where's Spot? (a lift the flap book)

Hoban, Tana:White on Black (big pictures with lots of contrast).

Hoberman, Marry Ann:A House is a House for Me (not really a story,
but a fun, rolicking rhyme) [Peggy R.]

Hughes, Shirley:Alphie Gives a Hand; Dogger (a favorite); Alphie
and Annie Rose; Up and Up; The Alphie and Annie Rose Story Book;
The Concrete Lorry (another favorite) [Nancy J.N.]

Johnson & Johnson:Where is Baby Bunny

Jonas, Ann:When You Were A Baby

Kunhardt, Dorothy:Pat the Bunny; Pat the Cat

Larche, Doug:Father Gander NURSERY RHYMES, rewritten by Father
Gander (aka Doug Larche). (Since young ones love the simple rhymes
of Mother Goose, this is a perfect introduction to rhymes,
rewritten to be non-violent, non-sexist, and multiethnic--
LOVELY!!! [Diane L.])

Lear, Edward:The Owl and the Pussycat (illustrated by Jan
Brett...this is an unusual interpretation, in that the
illustrations (which are lovely) are set in the Caribbean.)

Lester (?), Alison:Imagine

Margolies, Barbara Anne:Rehema's Journey: A Visit to Tanzania
(photos and story about a young Tanzanian girl who goes on a trip
with her father from her village to the Ngorongoro Crater [Cici])

Martin, Bill Jr.:Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

McCloskey, Robert:Blueberries for Sal; One Morning in Maine; Time
of Wonder [Rec. unknown]

Merrill, Susan:Washday (Probably out of print; the copy we've
borrowed twice from the library is about to fall apart. A simple,
lovely book about a family doing the wash together. Good for
toddlers. [Mimi W.])

Meryl, Debra:Baby's Peek-a-Boo Album (illustrated by True Kelley.
This book allows you to paste in photos of your own baby, which is
pretty neat. However, Dylan never really got a big kick out of
seeing himself hiding. Indeed, he was too engrossed in finding
the little mouse that was always in the picture (except for the
bathroom scene), or finding the hummingbird. [Diane L.])

Munsch, Robert:Love You Forever [Rec. unknown] (Mixed reviews)

Mwalimu & Adrienne Kennaway: Awful Aardvark (how it came to be
that aardvarks sleep in the day and eat termites at night [Cici])

Myer, Mercer:There's a Nightmare in My Closet (delightful drawings
[Judy L. T.]); Just for You (actually, I haven't seen a MM book I
haven't loved [Judy L. T.])

Numeroff, Laura:If You Give A Moose A Muffin

Oxenbury, Helen and Michael Rosen:We're Going on a Bear Hunt

Oxenbury, Helen:Good Night, Good Morning; Mother's Helper;
Shopping Trip; Say Goodnight; Tickle Tickle (We accompanied the
reading of "Say Goodnight" and "Tickle Tickle" with suitable
actions, eg: Up, Down, Up in the Sky - lift and lower baby/ Swing
Low, Swing High - swing baby as if on a swing/ Buppity, Hold on
Tight - bounce baby on leg/ Hush Little Babies, Say Goodnight! -
hold finger to mouth and say "shhh" [Drew C.])

Peet, Bill:Buford, the Big Horn Sheep; Chester the Worldly Pig;
Cyrus the Unseaworthy Sea Serpent; Encore for Elenore; Hubert's
Hair Raising Adventure; Huge Harold; Jethro and Joel Were a Troll;
Jennifer and Josephine; Kermit the Hermit Crab; Merle, the High-
Flying Squirrel; The Wing Ding Dilly; Wump World; Zella, Zack, and
Zodiac; Bill Peet's autobiography [Nancy J.N.]

Pfister, Marcus:The Rainbow Fish (A very good story about sharing.
Unfortunately it cost 16 dollars (due to fancy sequins glued on
the pages which were needed for the story). The rainbow fish
finds happiness and belonging by giving one sequin to each other
fish so that they all became rainbow fish. [Bruce G.])

Pienkowski, Jan:Various board books

Poluskin, Maria:Mama's Secret; Mother, Mother, I Want Another; Who
Said Meow?

Potter, Beatrix:Peter Rabbit, etc. series (mixed reviews [Rec.
unknown])

Provensen, Alice and Martin:Peaceable Kingdom--A Shaker
Abecedarius (rhyme [Arti N.])

Rey, Margret and H.A.:Curious George series [Bruce G.]

Ricklin, Neil: Baby's Book of Colors series of photo books
("Baby's Book
of Toys", "Daddy and Me", "Mommy and Me", etc)

Sadler, Marilyn:PJ.Funnybunny [Mike F.]

Scarry, Richard (?):I am a Bunny

Sendak, Maurice:Chicken Soup With Rice; Where the Wild Things Are;
In the Night Kitchen; Outside Over There

Shapiro, Richard:Jonathan & the Dragon (a dragon comes to town,
and the mayor tries futilely to get him to leave, ignoring a small
boy who ultimately solves the problem by politely asking the
dragon to go away...this one may be out of print - it was saved
from my childhood. I actually memorized the entire rhyming text
of this book and occasionally recite it to my son at the grocery
store! [Cici])

Shaw, Nancy:Sheep in a Jeep (also sequels:Sheep in a Ship, Shop,
out to Eat) (rhyme) [Peggy R.]

Spier, Peter:Gobble Growl Grunt(I hesitate to include this book
because I get so tired of reading it! It is a favorite of my
daughter's however. It's just a bunch of animals, reptiles, etc
and their respective animal sounds [Kathleen R.])

Steig, William:Shrek! and other books [Rec. unknown]

Stevenson, Robert Louis:A Child's Garden of Verses

Stone, Jon:There's a Monster at the End of This Book (Little
Golden/Sesame Street Book)

Tafuri, Nancy:Junglewalk (this has no words, but terrific
illustrations that tell a story of a boy and his cat's dream of
their walk through the jungle [Cici])

Taylor, Barbara:The Animal Atlas (illustrated by Kenneth Lilly,
published by Knopf. This is clearly not *intended* for toddlers,
but when we realized that Dylan was hooked on animals, we bought
him this book which had realistic drawings of animals. This
was/is a favorite, and Dylan loves to turn pages and point to all
the birds or cats on the page, or have us name the animals that he
points to. [Diane L.])

Theobalds, Prue (Illustrator):Old MacDonald Had a Farm (This is
the traditional nursery song, wonderfully illustrated, showing the
old Scottish farmer and his charges. Of course, one has to sing
the text, which delights babies no end. [Diane L.])

Unknown:Ballerina Bess (rhyme [Arti N.])

Unknown:Fun with Babysitter (board book)

Unknown:The Little Learner's Library for children under 3 (sets of
bright, appealing board books and some related items (puzzles,
etc.) that form a series in beginning geography and nature
studies)

Unknown:Willie and the Whale (rhyme [Arti N.])

Van Allsburg, Chris:The Polar Express; Jumungi; The Stranger; Just
a Dream [Nancy J.N.]

Van Laan, Nancy:Possum Come a-Knockin' (rhyme) [Peggy R.]

Various:Pudgy Pal Board Books (Grosset and Dunlap, publishers)

Weiss, Nicki:Where Does the Brown Bear Go?

Wells, Rosemary:Max's Ride; Max's Bath (there are at least 8 board
books about Max. [Graeme W.])

Williams, Jay:Everyone Knows What a Dragon Looks Like [Rec.
unknown]

Williams, Vera:More More More Said the Baby (Wonderful book
featuring multi-cultural and interracial families [Wendy B.])

Wood, Audrey and Don:The Napping House [Rec. unknown]

Yolen, Jane:Owl Moon [Rec. unknown]

Ziefert, Harriet:Nicky's Picnic (lift-the-flap series. This
series is a little more mature than Spot - a little more narrative
[Graeme W.])

Zion, Gene and Margaret Bloy Graham:Harry the Dirty Dog (dog hates
bathes, runs away & gets so dirty his owners don't recognize him
until they give him a bath); No Roses for Harry (dog hates the
roses on his sweater so he tries to lose it and eventually a bird
unravels it for him); Harry By the Sea (dog gets separated from
family at the beach, gets covered with seaweed, and frightens all
the beachgoers while he tries to find his owners); The Plant
Sitter (boy looks after neighbors plants over summer vacation,
turns his house into a jungle, and researches how to trim and make
new plants from the cuttings); Dear Garbageman (new garbageman
doesn't want to throw anything away, so instead he gives it all
away to eager patrons, but the next day is disappointed to find
that all the things are back in the trash with a note); The Sugar
Mouse Cake (baker creates a spectacularly decorated cake, but then
has his pet mouse stand in for a broken sugar-mouse and many
mishaps ensue) [Cici]

[2 to 6 years]

Ahlberg, Janet and Allen:The Jolly Postman or Other People's
Letters (2 to 7 years. Get this book! It's fun! - Kathleen R.)

Alborough, Jez:Where's My Teddy? (This is a cute book about a
small boy and a BIG bear who both lose their teddy bears in the
woods. It's a good one for really getting into animating the
character's lines. It's an oversized book with great
illustrations. I first noticed it in Chinaberry's catalog.(Erin
H.)

Aliki:Feelings (Great for toddlers and slightly older. Good for
exploring many feelings - Mimi W.)

Allard, Harry:Stupids Family series (And of course, let's not
forget the series of books about the Stupids family, such as The
Stupids Step Out; The Stupids Die [Bruce G.])

Anderson, Clarence William:Billy and Blaze series (It is about a
medium-sized boy, probably from California and almost certainly a
Republican, finding mountain lions, alerting the slow-witted
townspeople when a fire threatens, and generally galloping about
doing heroic deeds on his horse, Blaze. These are the only books
that my wife and I have to regularly censor when we read them
aloud, mostly for sexism, I think. [Graeme W.])

Bang, Molly:The Paper Crane

Barker, Marjorie:The Magical Hands

Barrett, Judy:Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs

Brett, Jan:Annie and the Wild Animals; Mother's Day Mice;
Goldilocks; The Mitten (I LOVE her illustrations, but sometimes
the text lets me down [Tina Van R.])

Burton, Virginia Lee:Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel; The
Little House

Cole, Joanna:The Magic Schoolbus series (lots of interesting
science facts [Rec. unknown])

Cooney, Barbara:Hattie and the Wild Waves;Miss Rumphius

de Beer, Hans:Little Polar Bear

de Paola, Tomie:Strega Nona (having to remedy our mistakes)

Demi:Thumbelina

Duvoisin, Roger:Petunia (Petunia is a goose)

Edens, Cooper:Caretakers of Wonder

Ehlert, Lois:Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf; Fish Eyes

Flack, Marjorie:The Story About Ping

Freeman, Don:Corduroy

Gannett, Ruth Stiles:My Father's Dragon Trilogy (consists of My
Father's Dragon, Elmer & the Dragon and Dragons of Blueland )

Gay, Marie-Louise:Angel and the Polar Bear

Guarino, Deborah:Is Your Mama A Llama? (illustrated by Steven
Kellogg. (Paperback, ISBN #: 0-590-44725-4) Great for any animal
lover, with nice drawings and simple rhymes. [Diane L.])

Henkes, Kevin:Chrysanthemum

Heyward, DuBose:The Country Bunny and the Golden Shoes (Easter)

Hines, Anna Grossnickleaddy Makes the Best Spaghetti (anti-
stereotyping [Rec. unknown]); also It's Just Me, Emily; Bethany
for Real and many others

Hoban, Russell:Frances books (Russell Hoban has written books for
both adults and children. Both show his amazing ear for
dialogue.)

Hughes, Shirley:The Alfie books (Alfie is a pre-schooler)

Jennings, Sharon:Jeremiah and Mrs. Ming [Rec. unknown]

Joosse, Barbara M.:Mama, Do You Love Me? (..Inuit woman who tells
her daughter she would love her no matter what she did. I like the
idea, but felt the concept was beyond the age group the book is
targeted to...4-6. [Deantha M.])

Joyce, William:A Day at Wilbur Robinson's (I doubt it can be
described. Go buy it; you'll see. [Robert P.])

Keats, Ezra Jack:The Snowy Day (Caldecott award winner)

Kipling, Rudyard:Just So Stories (illustrated by Safaya Salter.
(Hardback, ISBN #: 0-8050-0439-4) We were pleasantly surprised
when our son took to these short stories, because some are quite
long and have no illustrations at all. If you had told me that a
2-year old would sit through three pages of uninterrupted text
with no illustrations, I wouldn't have believed it (unless said
child was asleep at the time :-0). But, I take that as testimony
to Kipling's marvelous style and fanciful imagination. Wonderful
reading right before a visit to the zoo! [Diane L.])

LeSieg, Thoe:The Pop-Up Mice of Mr. Brice ( aka Theodore Seuss
Geisel)

Lindbergh, ?:The Midnight Farm (lovely book with illustrations by
Susan Jeffers); Benjamin's Barn (about a boy with a very large
barn It's so big that he could fit all sorts of interesting things
in it--pirate ships, elephants, pterodactyls, a princess (because
it's enormously soft), a part for the king and queen (because it's
enormously clean), etc. It has beautiful color illustrations and
rhymes on each page about what could fit in the barn. I would
recommend it for toddlers (2 - ?). [Judy L.T.])

Lobel, Arnold:Fables (Paperback, ISBN #: 0-06-443046-4. An
updated, 20th century version of Aesop's Fables, though I prefer
Lobel's morals, I think (e.g. "All's well that ends with a good
meal." [Diane L.])

McCloskey, Robert:Blueberries for Sal; One Morning in Maine; Make
Way for Ducklings (McCloskey's books have old-fashioned, less
colorful illustrations, but are still very nice [Graeme W.])

Minarik, Else Homelund:Little Bear (Written as a reader for
beginning readers, it's enjoyable for toddlers, too. - MW); Little
Bear's Visit; A Kiss for Little Bear (series; these books seem
old-fashioned. [Graeme W.])

Monro, Roxie:Inside Outside Book of London (Paris, New York,
etc.). I've posted before about Graham's desperate love of the
"Inside Outside Book of London". Since the book has no words save
the descriptions of the sights, (British Museum, Tower Bridge, St
Pauls, Tower of London, House of Commons, Big Ben...) it must
be the graphics that have him so enraptured. If you've never seen
these books, they are truly wonderful. Beautiful drawings, and
filled with fun things to look at and count. There's one
on Washington DC too. [Marjorie P.]

Munsch, Robert:The Dark; Mud Puddle; The Paper Bag Princess (in
which a princess rescues her fiance who was stolen by a dragon,
This one is GREAT!!); The Boy in the Drawer; Jonathon Cleaned Up,
Then He Heard a Sound or Blackberry Subway Jam; Murmel Murmel
Murmel; Millicent and the Wind; The Fire Station; Mortimer;
Angela's Airplane; David's Father; Thomas' Snowsuit; 50 Below
Zero; I Have To Go!; Moira's Birthday; A Promise Is A Promise;
Pigs; Giant or Waiting For The Thursday Boat; Something Good; Show
and Tell; Love You Forever (in which a young boy grows to
adulthood with a strong sense of his mother's love for him (just
try to read this one without getting a lump in your throat or a
tear in your eye...Although my 2 year old loves it, my husband and
many friends REFUSE to read it. It deals with death, pretty scary
to those of us past 30! [Amy U.])

Numeroff, Laura:If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (2 to 6 years)

Ormerod, Jan:Various titles

Paterson, Katherine:The Tale of the Mandarin Ducks

Peet, Bill:Nice Families Don't; other titles (Bill Peet has
written a lot of books about cute animals doing cute vaguely human
things. I can tolerate about one a week, but our three year old
son loves then. [Graeme W.])

Perlman, Janet:Cinderella Penguin (there is also a video by the
National Film Board of Canada, it's very funny)

Pomerantz, Charlotte:The Piggy and the Puddle

Prelutsky and Trelease, Eds:Read Aloud Poems for the Very Young

Rey, H.A. and Margret:Curious George series

Sciezka, Jon:The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
(I also found a book that was voted the best book by the kids in
my son's school...contains satires of fairy tales and interactions
with the narrator and the book itself. In The Really Ugly
Duckling, the ugly duckling grows up to be just a really ugly
duck. [Bruce G.]

Seeger, Pete:Abiyoyo--Pete Seeger's Story Song (illustrated by
Michael Hays)

Sendak, Maurice:Where the Wild Things Are; In the Night Kitchen;
Pierre

Seuss, Dr. (Theodore Geisel):All books by Dr. Seuss

Shalev, Meir:My Father Always Embarasses Me

Silverstein, Shel:The Giving Tree (this is controversial-some hate
it. [Judy L.T.]); The Missing Piece; The Missing Piece and the Big

Thornhill, Jan:The Wildlife ABC; The Wildlife 123

Thurber, James:Many Moons

Unknownisney Read-Aloud books (this is a series you get by mail)

Unknown:National Geographic Action Books for children over 3
(beautiful books with pop-ups and pull-tabs on a variety of
animals and ecosystems. These are my daughter's favorite books. I
think there are 6 sets of 2 books each, for about $20 a set.)

Unknown:The Smell Stealer (great if you don't have morning
sickness! A scratch and sniff book about smells that have been
switched [Mylene M.])

Various:Sesame Street growing up books--No Red Monsters Allowed;
It's No Fun to be Sick; Just Like Ernie; I'm Angry, etc. (these
are wonderful because they deal with real problems children face
[Judy L.T.])

Viorst, Judith:Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very
Bad Day

Waber, Benard:Ira books; Lyle the Crocodile books

Ward, Lynd:The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge
(For older toddlers. A nifty book about how size doesn't dictate
importance [Mimi W.])

Williams, Margery:The Velveteen Rabbit: or How Toys Become Real

Wood, Don and Audrey:The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry,
and The Big Hungry Bear (2 to 5 years, but try it on a younger
baby, also)

Yolen, Jane:Owl Moon

Yorinks, Arthur:Louis the Fish (Think of it as Kafka's
_Metamorphosis_ for kiddies. Your classmates will love it.
(you'll need to be able to manage a passable Flatbush accent,
tho)); (Great suggestion! I love Yorinks. Also highly
recommended is _It Happened in Pinsk_ which allows you to do a
great Yiddish accent. It is also somewhat Kafka-esque, but
hilariously funny.)

Zion, Gene:Harry the Dirty Dog and other Harry books

[End of Part One]

Old November 18th 05, 06:36 AM posted to misc.kids.info,misc.answers,news.answers

Default misc.kids FAQ on Children's Books Recs. Part2/2

Archive-name: misc-kids/books/recs/part2
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-Modified: May 27, 1995
Version: 4.0

[Early/Middle Readers and Chapter Books]

Aiken, Joan:The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (and other books)

Alexander, Lloyd:Prydain series (Book of Three; Black Cauldron;
Castle of Llyr; Taran Wanderer; The High King. These are
*wonderful* and I still re-read them [Hilary M.])

A****er, Robert:Mr. Popper's Penguins [Toni V.]

Banks, Lynn Reid:An Indian in the Cupboard [Rec. unknown]

Barrie, James:Peter Pan (the original...which was hard work for me
because I had to skip all the sexist/racist/violent stuff as we
went. Some chapters ended up short :-) [Kate H.])

Baum, L. Frank:The Wonderful Wizard of Oz; The Marvelous Land of
Oz; Ozma of Oz; Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz; Tik-Tok of Oz [Nancy
J.N.] (When my daughter was 3 she asked for Wizard of Oz. I tried
to discourage her showing her that there were no pictures, lots of
words, very long,... but she was adamant. We ended up reading it
3 times in a row. [Rec. unknown])

Blume, Judy:SuperFudge [Nancy J.N.]

Brooks, Walter R.:Freddy the Pig series [Toni V.]; Freddy Goes to
Florida (originally titled: To and Again)

Bulla, Clyde R.:A Lion to Guard Us;Open the Door and See All the
People; Ghost Town Treasure; The Secret Valley; The Cardboard
Crown; The Moon Singer; The Shoeshine Girl (Don't read these if
you have a sensitive kid [Nancy J.N.]); Charlie's House (a
historical novel [Nancy J.N.])

Burnett, Frances Hodgson:The Secret Garden (well liked); A Little
Princess

Cameron, Eleanor:The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet (and
sequels)

Carroll, Lewis (Charles L. Dodgson):Alice's Adventures in
Wonderland; Through the Looking Glass

Carter, Forrest:The Education of Little Tree

*Cleary, Beverly:Ramona the Pest (Jamie *loved* all the silliness
in this book [Nancy J.N.]); Ramona the Brave; The Mouse and the
Motorcycle (video is great); Beezus and Ramona ;Runaway Ralph
(great video, too); Ralph S. Mouse; Ramona and Her Father; Ramona
and Her Mother; Ramona Forever; Socks; Ramona Quimby, Age 8; Henry
Huggins; Henry and Ribsy; Henry and the Clubhouse; Henry and the
Paper Route; Ribsy; Henry and Beezus; Otis Spofford; Emily's
Runaway Imagination; Muggy Maggie [Nancy J.N.]; Ralph the Mouse
series [Toni V.]

Coolidge, Susan:What Katy Did [Kate H.]

Cooper, Susan:The Dark is Rising series

Dahl, Roald:Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; Charlie and the
Great Glass Elevator [Rec. unknown; Nancy J.N.]; James and the
Giant Peach [Valerie B.]; The BFG (Big Friendly Giant)

de Saint Exupery, Antoine:The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince)

Drury Roger:The Champion of Merrimack County [Nancy J.N.]

Eager, Edward:Half Magic (great book!); Magic by the Lake; Time
Garden; Knight's Castle

Ehrlich, Amy:Random House Book of Fairy Tales (well received by my
son at 3. [Kathleen R.])

Ericson, Russell:Morton and Warton; Warton and the King of the
Skies; Warton and the Castaways; Warton and the Contest; A Toad
for Tuesday; Warton's Christmas Eve Adventure (Huge
favorites...[Nancy J.N.])

Fleming, Ian:Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Gannett, Ruth Stiles:My Father's Dragon [Rec. unknown]

Graham, Kenneth:The Wind and the Willows (7-9 yr. olds. This book
is pretty sophisticated for this age group, but makes a great
read-aloud, because it is fun for adults as well as the children!
[Judith R.])

Haas, Dorothy:Burton's Zoom,Zoom Va-Room Machine [Nancy J.N.]

*Haywood, Carolyn:Little Eddie; Little Eddie and the Fire Engine;
Little Eddie and the Green Thumb; Eddie Makes Music; Betsy and the
Boys; Here's a Penny; Ever Ready Eddie [Nancy J.N.]

Jacques, Brian:Redwall; Mattimeo (these fantasy books were
evidently written for adults, but I think a child would enjoy
them)

Janson, Tove:Finn Family Moomintroll (Many other books in the same
series, but most of them are pretty wierd and on the grim side.
This one is a complete delight. [Phil R.])

Juster, Norman:The Phantom Tollbooth

Key, Alexander:Flight to the Lonesome Place; The Incredible Tide;
Escape to Witch Mountain; The Forgotten Door

Kipling, Rudyard:Just So Stories [Nola Van V.]; The Jungle Book

Lampman, Evelyn:The City Under the Back Stairs (well liked [Rec.
unknown; Hilary M.])

Lang, Andrew:the Fairy Books series (The Red Fairy Book, Blue,
Green, etc.)

Lear, Edward:The Complete Nonsense Book

Lewis, C.S.:Chronicles of Narnia

Lindgren, Astrid:Pippi Longstockings (and sequels)

*Lobel, Arnold:Frog and Toad books (These became some of Marc's
favorites: Frog and Toad are Friends, Days with Frog and Toad,
Frog and Toad Together(?), and Frog and Toad All Year [Bruce G.])
(...they feature the friendship of Frog and Toad, and also consist
of 4 to 5 loosely-connected chapters in each book. Other titles
by Loebel have also proved to be good ones (Mouse Tales is one
that comes to mind).[Carol F.]); Mouse Tales; Stone Soup

London, Jack:The Call of the Wild

Lovelace, Maud:Betsy-Tacy series; Tib series [Sharon L. B.].

Macauley, David:Pyramid; Castle; Cathedral; Mill; Unbuilding; City
(nonfiction [Nancy J.N.])

MacDonald, Betty:Miss Piggle Wiggle series

Marshall, Edward:Fox and His Friends (colorful [Graeme W.])

Marshall, James:George and Marsha ( series which is a lot of fun
and very colorful. Published by Houghton Mifflin in their
Sandpiper Paperback edition. [Graeme W.])

*Marshall, James:The "Fox" Books (Similar format to the others
[Frog and Toad; Oliver Pig]-- and again, stories that are a little
more involved than picture books. [Carol F.])

MacDonald, Betty:Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books [Rec. unknown]

McDonalds, George:The Princess and the Goblin

Milne, A.A.:Winnie the Pooh [Kathleen R.; Misty N.]; House at Pooh
Corner;Now We Are Six; When We Were Very Young [Kate H.]

*Minarik, Else H.:Little Bear's Friend (The back cover says there
are 4 other books about Little Bear. Don't know if they're all
chapter books, but now we've gotta go find them! [Suzanne J.])

Montgomery, Lucy Maud:Anne of Green Gables series; Emily of New
Moon series

Nesbit, Edith (or Edith Nesbit Bland):Five Children and It; The
Enchanted Castle; many others

Norton, Mary:The Borrowers [I loved this book as a child
[Stella S.]; Kate H.]; Borrowers Afield, Borrowers Afloat;
Borrowers Aloft (Wonderful stories of tiny people who live unseen
(usually) by big people and adapt borrowed items for their own
uses...good young female protagonist Arietty [Rec. unknown; Hilary
M.])

Norton, Mary:Bedknob and Broomstick [Kate H.]

*Peterson, John:The Littles; The Littles go to School; The Littles
to the Rescue; The Littles Take a Trip [Nancy J.N.]

Quackenbush, Robert:Miss Mallard mystery series (short chapter
books [Rec. unknown])

Ransome, Arthur:Swallows and Amazons

Rylant, Cynthia:The Henry and Mudge books [Kathleen R.]

Selden, George:Cricket in Times Square. Illustrated by
Garth Williams.

Sharp, Margery:Miss Bianca books (These are the books on which the
Disney movie, "The Rescuers," was based. I've never seen the
movie, but I doubt it could do the books justice. [Mimi W.])

Silverstein, Shel:A Light in the Attic; Where the Sidewalk Ends
(Poetry)

Simon, SeymoEinstein Anderson Science Sleuth; Einstein Anderson
Shocks his Friends; Einstein Anderson ? [Nancy J.N.]

Smith, Dodie:The Hundred and One Dalmations

Sobol, Donald J:Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man; Encyclopedia
Brown Finds the Clues; Encyclopedia Brown Solves them All;
Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch [Nancy J.N.]

Spinelli, Jerry:Maniac Magee (Newbury award winner)

Steig, Williamominic [Nancy J.N.]

Taylor, Sydney:All-of-a-Kind Family

*Van Leeuwen, Jean:Oliver Pig (The first book in this series is
just called "Oliver Pig," but there are several others (Oliver &
Amanda Pig, Amanda Pig, etc.). These books are each about 60
pages long and are comprised of 4 to 5 loosely-connected chapters.
(The chapters can be read as individual stories, but Katie usually
wants us to read the whole thing in each sitting. This only takes
about 10 to 15 minutes.) Oliver, his little sister Amanda, his
parents & his grandmother are featured in the stories, which
usually have a few little silly parts that seem to appeal to a
pre-schooler's sense of humor. These books may also be targeted
at early readers (1st to 2nd grade?).[Carol F.])

Various:folk tales, etc. from other countries (folk section of
library) [Rec. unknown]

Various:Great Illustrated Classics (...a BIG hit with my son.
These are abridged versions of classic novels, and there is a
black-and-white drawing on every-other page...some books are
edited better than others. If you resent the notion of "dumbing-
down" a classic for the sake of young children getting interested,
then don't get these. [Beth J.; Valerie B.])

Warner, Gertrude Chandler:The Boxcar Children

White, E.B.:Charlotte's Web; Stuart Little [Nancy J.N.]; The
Trumpet of the Swan

Wilde, Oscar:The Happy Prince, The Selfish Giant, and other short
stories (new favorites! Nancy J.N.]

Wilder, Laura Ingalls:Little House in the Big Woods; Little House
on the Prarie; On the Banks of Plum Creek; By the Shores of Silver
Lake; The Long Winter; Farmer Boy; Little Town on the Prairie
(...*huge* favorite[s] of Jamie's [Nancy J.N.])

Willard, Nancy:The High Rise Glorious Skittle Skat Roarious Sky
Pie Angel Food Cake

Williams, J. and R. Abrashkinanny Dunn and the Automatic House
(a favorite of Bob's from his youth); Danny Dunn and the Fossil
Cave; Danny Dunn and the Anti-Gravity Paint; Danny Dunn and the
Weather Machine; Danny Dunn on the Ocean Floor; Danny Dunn and the
Homework Machine [Nancy J.N.]

Wyss, Johann David:The Swiss Family Robinson (rich, complex
language--kept us at the dictionary! [Nancy J.N.])

Yolen, Jane:Rebecca and the Robot; Rebecca and the Missing Owser
[Nancy J.N.]

*indicates very simple chapter book

[For Older Kids]

Asimov, Isaac:I, Robot

Duncan, Lois:Various titles (13 years+. She writes mysteries)

Speare, Elizabeth:The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Tolkien, J.R.R.:The Hobbit

Twain, Mark:Tom Sawyer

[Age Recommendation Unknown]

Adler, David A.:My Dog and the Knock-Knock mystery (mystery book,
girl and her dog [Rec. unknown])

Allen, Pamela:Who Sank The Boat?

Asch, Frank:Popcorn (Halloween)

Bate, Lucy:Little Rabbit's Loose Tooth

Belloc, HilaiCautionary Tales

Berger, Barbara?:The Donkey's Dream [Rec. unknown]

Brown, Marc:Arthur's Eyes; Arthur's Christmas

Forest, Heather:The Woman Who Flummoxed the Fairies

Fowler, Richard:Mr Little's Noisy [...] series

Gerstein, Mordicai:The Mountains of Tibet

Gruell, Johnie?:Raggedy Ann books (cooperation, possibly out of
print [Rec. unknown])

Heyward, DuBose and Marjorie Flack:The Baker's Dozen (Christmas)

Koda-Callan, Elizabeth:The Magic Locket

Krasilovsky, Phyllis:The Very Little Girl

Lester, Julius:The Tales of Uncle Remus--The Adventures of Brer
Rabbit (as told by Julius Lester)

Lord, John Vernon:The Giant Jam Sandwich

Mahy, Margaret:My Wonderful Aunt; 17 Kings and 42 Elephants; The
Boy Who Was Followed Home

Murphy, Jill:A Piece of Cake; All in One Piece; Five Minutes'
Peace; What Next, Baby Bear?

San Souci, Robert D.:The Talking Eggs (a Creole Folktale)

Schubert, Ingrid:The Magic Bubble Trip

Steig, William:Sylvester and the Magic Pebble

Stevenson, James:Could Be Worse; What's Under My Bed

Stafford, Marianne:Amy's Place

Tudor, Tasha:Pumpkin Moonshine (Halloween)

Tyrrell, Anne:Elizabeth Jane Gets Dressed; Mary Ann Always Can

Unknown:Clothilda's Magic

Unknown:Fancy That! [N.B.:LC has two children's books by this
title; by Kees Moerbeck/rhyming board book or Pamela Allen/story
of the little red hen]

Unknown:Maisie series books (Scottish tales, perhaps not in USA
[Rec. unknown])

Unknown:National Geographic's Animal Books that are recommended
for kids 4-8 (I think) have been a big hit with my son since
infancy. At first he just liked the pictures, but now he knows
the names of all sorts of unusual animals and knows various facts
about them. [Cici]

Van Allsburg, Chris:Just a Dream; The Garden of Abdul Gasazi;
Jumanji; The Jungle; The Polar Express (Christmas); The Wreck of
the Zepher (Allsburg's books involve fantasy and are beautifully
illustrated; keep your eye out for the small white dog with a
black spot around one eye--a main character in the GARDEN book,
later seen as a puppet, in a picture, etc. [Kate D.])

[Poetry]

(Don't overlook "grown-up stuff" either, especially poetry, which
IMO, just doesn't make it unless it's read out loud. Local
favorites include _Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats_ by T.S.
Elliot and _Songs of Innocence_ by William Blake. [Nola Van V.])
(One of our neighborhood kids also loved T.S. Eliot and it was
quite a kick to see these two 3 YO's running around quoting
snatches of "Song of the Jellicles" whenever they saw the
neighborhood black and white cat. [Rec. unknown])

Prelutsky, Jack and Jim Trelease, Eds.:Read Aloud Poems for the
Very Young (Probably good for 1.5 to about 4 year-olds. My son is
1.5 and he already loves the cadence of the poetry and the
pictures. I like these rhymes better than traditional nursery
rhymes because they are about things children love. Animals, the
beach, teddy bears, bathtime, everything. [Kirsten H.])

Silverstein, Shel:Where the Sidewalk Ends (The poems are
hysterical on many different levels. It was given to us by my
college age niece who marked her favorite poems from her well worn
copy. My daugher (then 5) loved it (and still does). I read them
and laugh when I want something funny. Recently my father visited
and I read some to him from our (beginning to be well worn) copy.
We sent him his own copy for his birthday. [Celia M.]) These can
help little preschoolers to develop a more sophisticated sense of
humor, if you take the time to explain why the poems are funny
[Rec. unknown])

Thomas, Dylan:A Child's Christmas in Wales (I'll confess that I
had received a collection of Dylan Thomas' poetry as a gift just
before Kate was born and I found myself reading it aloud to her
when she was just a few days old. She still loves poetry and
writes quite a bit of her own stuff. [Rec. unknown])

[Info on reading to children]

Reading To Infants - by Laura Dolson

1) They still like just to hear the sound of your voice at this
age, so reading almost anything, especially singsongy/rhymey, is
great. In a few months, they won't want you to read longer things
without pictures as much, but when you get back to it later, there
may be some familiarity with it.

2) Get books with large, clear illustrations/photographs.
Examples:Tana Hoban books like _What Is It_ and _Red Shoe, Blue
Shoe_, and the large Helen Oxenbury Books (All Fall Down, Clap
Hands, etc.) The latter have illustrations of large-headed
children that really capture the young ones, and a short, rhyming
text. All Fall Down and a Sandra Boyton book "Moo, Baa, La La La"
were Emily's clear favorites at two months.

Also, be prepared - many babies go through a period from about 4-5
mo to 8-9 mo where they are more interested in books as
toys/things to "eat" than in reading them. This is a good age for
1 or 2 spiral-bound books - there are several of these in stores
with graded holes in them which make them even more fun. They are
fun to play peek-a-boo games with, and the spiral binding makes
them easier for the baby to manipulate. Also good for this period
are small (3X3) books with colorful illustrations of familiar
objects.

By 8 mo or so, Emily was choosing her own reading material - she
would take my hand and place it on her book of choice!

BOOKS FOR ONE YEAR OLDS

Graeme Williams
)

At this age, kids like the sound of your voice, as well as books
they can play with, like lift-the-flap books. The most important
thing, I think, is that *you* should enjoy the books, because the
child can certainly pick that up from your tone.

As for frequency, I would try and read one or more stories a
couple of times a day - perhaps when you get home after work, and
just before bed, or just before or after dinner. Have a specific
place for reading that is relatively quiet, and leave a pile of
books there. Our kids still demand that the same book be read
over and over again, so you don't have to worry about variety.
You might also see if the local library has a children's room, and
go there together once a week.

Certainly kids vary in their tolerance for sitting still, but it
improves with time and practice.

[Books about Children's Books/References]

newsgroup "rec.arts.books.childrens"

Wendy E. Betts, Editor "The WEB: Celebrating Children's
Literature" *for more information about The WEB, finger
* Frequent readers, please note: this
journal is supported by reader's donations. Email

if you would like to help; or send mail to PO Box 401, Santa
Cruz, CA 95061 to send donation or to subscribe to the hardcopy
WEB review.

For Love of Reading: A Parent's Guide to Encouraging Young Readers
from Infancy Through Age 5 (Masha Kabakow Rudman and Anna
Markus Pearce) - This is the best one I looked at for young
ones - I love it. [Laura D.]

The Read-Aloud Handbook (Jim Trelease), Penguin Books, 1985
(Recommended by many people)

Babies Need Books (D. Butler), Atheneum, 1980.

Books Kids Will Sit Still For (J. Freeman), The Alleyside Press,
1984.

How to Choose Good Books for Kids (K. Hall McMullan), Addison-
Wesley, 1984.

Choosing Books for Children: A Commonsense Guide (B. Hearne),
Delacorte Press, 1981.

Raising Readers (L.L. Lanne, et al), Walker and Co., 1980.

Choosing Books for Kids (J. Oppenheim, et al), Ballantine Books,
1986.

The New York Times Parent's Guide to the Best Books for Children
(Eden Ross Lipson), Times, 1988

[Book Services and Mail Order Catalogs]

Chinaberry Book Service...EXCELLENT books for the whole family
2780 Via Orange Way, Suite B
Spring Valley, CA 92078
1-800-776-2242

Dover Publications, Inc.
31 East 2nd St
Mineola, NY 11501

(They are really good for a wide selection of activity books for
kids
from preschool on up. They have a large selection of paper doll
books, dinosaur books, maze books, books of masks to make, follow
the dots, science, stained glass, posters, fairy tales,
papercraft, woodworking...[Tina V.R.)

Big Bird Beep Books (Highly recommended - [didn't save poster's
name])
Golden Press (a division of Western Publishing)
3100 Mt Pleasant Street
Racine, Wisconsin 53404

An address for the Canadian & American distributor of Robert
Munsch's books (from the copyright page) is:

Firefly Books Ltd.,
250 Sparks Avenue,
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
M2H 2S4

Below is a UK bookseller who I've ordered from who has provided
excellent service, if anyone needs to order UK published books not
available in the USA [Buffy H.]:

Pamela Robinson
Bookseller
124 Wilberforce Road
London N4 2SU
United Kingdom
Tel: 071-226-1354 -- UK numbers, of course
Fax: 071-226-6599 --

Another book catalog [Inho L.]:

Cahill & Company: A Reader's Catalog
P.O. Box 64554
Saint Paul, MN 55164-0554
800-755-8531 (24hr/day, 7days/wk)

"Our goal is to bring you good books at great prices. We do that
by hunting down hundreds of wonderful titles that, for one reason
or another, didn't get the attention they deserved when they were
first published."

Ladybug Magazine
Box 593
Mt Morris, IL 61054

$24.97 for a one year subscription
Other products:
Babybug (for the 6mos to 2year crowd)
Ladybug - 2 to 6 years
Spider - 6 to 9 years
Cricket - 9 to 14 years

Hint - Bookstores with large magazine racks, like Borders, may
have a copy you can pick up and look through. I bought a copy and
"tried it out".

Books on Special Topics

* Celebrating Friendships *

Newf
Marie Killilea (Philomel, 1992)
Ages 5-10. A huge Newfoundland dog and a tiny kitten
develop
a rewarding relationship.

Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge
Mem Fox (Kane/Miller, 1985)
Ages 5 and up. A young boy's friendship with an elderly
woman is a lesson in the joy of giving.

The Sugar-Gum Tree
Patricia Wrightson (Viking, 1992)
Ages 7-11. Conflict is unavoidable--even, as here, between
best buddies.

The Son of Someone Famous
M. E. Kerr (Harper, 1974)
Ages 11-14. Two outsiders develop a special caring for each
other.

Always and Forever Friends
Carole Adler (Ticknor, 1988)
Ages 10-13. Wendy's efforts to create a friendship with
Honor, an African-American, are met with suspicion and fear.

* Brothers and Sisters * (Sibling/New Baby FAQ also available)

Little Sister for Sale
Morse Hamilton (Cobblehill, 1992)
Ages 4-8. Kate discovers that being a big sister isn't so
bad after all.

Don't Touch My Room
Patricia Lakin (Little, Brown, 1985)
Ages 4-6. Aaron makes room in his heart for baby brother.

How Do I Feel?
Norma Simon (Whtiman, 1970)
Ages 8-13. A boy has a hard time dealing with a twin and an
older brother.

I'm Telling! Kids Talk About Brothers and Sisters
Eric Arnold and Jeffrey Loeb (Little, Brown, 1987)
Ages 8-11. Touching, funny anecdotes about siblings.

What My Sister Remembered
Marilyn Sachs (Dutton, 1992)
Ages 9-13. Two orphaned sisters meet after eight years and
must deal with a terrible secret.

And You Give Me a Pain, Elaine
Stella Pevsner (Houghton, 1978)
Ages 10-12. After her mother dies, Andrea must work extra
hard to get along with her older sister.

* Moving On *

Ira Says Goodbye
Bernard Waber (Houghton Mifflin, 1988)
Ages 4-7. Ira learns his best friend, Reggie, is going to
move.

The Leaving Morning
Angela Johnson (Orchard Books, 1992)
Ages 5-9. Two children say good-bye to the house and
friends they love.

Kevin Corbett Eats Flies
Patricia Hermes (HBJ, 1986)
Ages 8-11. If Kevin can get his dad to fall in love, maybe
they'll stay in one place for awhile.

I Am Susannah
Libby Gleeson (Holiday, 1989)
Ages 10-14. After her best friend moves, Susannah withdraws
into herself.

Boomer's Big Day
Constance McGeorge
[Marjorie R.P.]

Maggie Doesn't Want to Move
Author unknown
[Lefty]

*Divorce/Stepfamilies*

Upside Down
Mary Jane Miller (Viking, 1992)
Ages 8-12. When her mom dates the father of two classmates,
Sara must find the strength to accept change.

Where Do I Belong? A Kid's Guide to Stepfamilies
Buff Bradley (Harper, 1982)
Ages 8-11. Tips on living in stepfamilies.

Why Are We Getting a Divorce?
Peter Mayle (Harmony, 1988)
Ages 8-12. Why parents split up and how children can handle
their wide variety of feelings.

How It Feels When Parents Divorce
Jill Krementz (Knopf, 1984)
Ages 9-13. Children talk about living through a divorce.

Father Figure
Richard Peck (Viking, 1992)
Ages 12 and up. When their mother dies, eight years after
her divorce, two brothers get the chance to know--and
forgive--their father.

* Illness*

Luke Has Asthma, Too
Alison Rogers (Waterfront, 1987)
Ages 3-7. An upbeat story about a boy's experience with an
illness that affects one of every 20 children.

*Death*

A Time for Remembering
Chuck Thurman (Simon and Schuster, 1989)
Ages 5-8. After his grandfather dies, a boy recalls the
special times they shared together.

A Family Project
Sarah Ellis (Macmillan, 1988)
Ages 9-12. Jessica and her brothers cope with their baby
sister's crib death.

Bridge to Terabithia
Katherine Paterson (Harper, 1977)
Ages 10-13. A beautifully written story about how a boy
handles the sudden death of his best friend.

Learning to Say Goodbye: When a Parent Dies
Eda LeShan (Macmillan, 1976)
Ages 7 and up. Insight into kids' feelings, plus sympathy
and practical advice.

My Book for Kids with Cansur
Jason Gaes (Houghton Mifflin, 1987)
Ages 4-9. A young cancer patient's account of chemotherapy,
surgery and remission paints a portrait of courage.

* Teaching Body Safety *

It's MY Body
Lory Freeman (Parenting Press, 1983)
Ages 4-6. Teaches young children how to say no to unwanted
touching.

My Body is Private
Linda Walvoord Girard (Albert Whitman, 1984)
Ages 5-10. Julie's parents teach her how to protect herself
from unhealthy advances.

No More Secrets for Me
Oralee Wachter (Little, Brown, 1983)
Ages 7 and up. Four stories on child abuse show children
defending themselves, often with adult help.

Hobkin
Peni R. Griffin (Macmillan, 1992)
Two sisters escape from an abusive father and are happily
reunited with their mother.

* Special Challenges *

Josh: A Boy with Dyslexia
Caroline Janover (Waterfront, 1988)
Ages 8-12. A learning-disabled fifth-grader braves a storm
to get help for an injured friend.

Welcome Home, Jellybean
Marlene Fanta Shyer (Macmillan, 1978)
Ages 9-13. Neil's older sister is coming home after
spending
most of her life in an institution for mentally handicapped
children.

The Man Who Loved Clowns
June Rae Wood (Putnam, 1992)
Ages 11-15. A friend helps Delrita see that her beloved
uncle's Down Syndrome is nothing to be ashamed of.

The Snow Goose
Paul Gallico (Random House, 1992)
All ages. A respected classic about a painter with a
disability who rescues a World War II soldier.

Barry's Sister
Lois Metzger (Macmillan, 1992)
Ages 10 and up. Ellen learns to live with and love a
brother
with cerebral palsy.

* Explaining Adoption *

The Chosen Baby
Valentina Wasson (Harper, 1977)
Ages 4-6. A lovely story about what it means to be adopted.

We Adopted You, Benjamin Koo
Linda Walvoord Girard (Whitman, 1989)
Ages 7-10. Korean Benjamin, 9, explains being brought up by
parents of another culture.

Growing Up Adopted
Maxine Rosenberg (Macmillan, 1989)
Ages 8 and up. Reassuring and inspiring stories of adoptees
from 8 to 48.

Being Adopted
Maxine Rosenberg (Lothrop, 1984)
Ages 8-10. What it's like to be adopted by a family of
different race.

* Self-Help for Teens *

Safe, Strong, and Streetwise
Helen Benedict (Joy Street Books/Little, Brown, 1987)
Plain talk on sexual assault from a rape crisis counselor.

Social Savvy
Judith Re and Meg F. Schneider (Summit, 1991)
How to use manners as a foundation for confidence.

The What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls
Lynda and Area Madaras (Newmarket, 1988)
One of two books on puberty (the other is for boys) by Lynda
Madaras, an experienced sex-education teacher.

What Do I Do Now? Talking About Teenage Pregnancy
Susan Kuklin (Putnam, 1991)
More than enough to cause teens to think twice before
putting
themselves at risk for parenthood.

Beating the Odds: Stories of Unexpected Achievers
Jane Bode (Watts, 1991)
Upbeat and inspirational profiles of 11 young adults who
have
overcome great obstacles in their lives.

*Cooking*

Kenda, Margaret and Phyllis S. Williams:Cooking Wizardry for
Kids (It has 200 cooking projects with things such as secret
message recipes, take offs on restaurant foods, food for pets,
holiday foods, and more. [Melanie S.])

* Explaining Different Holidays *

Hanukkah and Christmas at My House
[Laurel B.]

Light the Lights
[Tracy B.]

* Books That Teach Tolerance *

Following titles suggested by Kate G.; book descriptions are
copyright Lambda Rising Booksto

LAMBDA RISING BOOKSTORES
Every Gay & Lesbian Book in Print - Videos, Music, & Gifts, Too
FREE Mail Order Catalog - Out-of-Print Book Search Service
E-mail address:

Alden, Joan:Boy's Best Friend (Will, a seven year old asthma
sufferer, wants nothing at all for his birthday if he can't have a
dog. He sees his birthday come and almost go without a gift. But
at the last hour, Will's two moms present him with a dog who will
make a difference by being different.)

American Friends Service Committee:Bridges of Respect: Creating
Support for Lesbian and Gay Youth ("This guide is presented as an
invitation to adults who work with youth to recognize the needs of
a neglected, largely invisible population of lesbian and gay young
people. It includes a discussion of the special struggles and
strengths of these youth and an extensive listing of resources-
print and audiovisual materials as well as organizations,
programs, and projects-that will be useful to educators, health
care and social service providers and youth advocates." QUOTE from
theIntroduction)

Bargar, Gary W.:What Happened to Mr. Forster? (Louis is trying to
make his sixth-grade year a success, and is being helped by a new
teacher, Jack Forster. But parents are suspicious of the bachelor
teacher, and he disappears suddenly. Why?)

Bosche, Susan:Jenny Lives With Eric and Martin (The first English-
language book ever to explain the gay lifestyle to young readers.
Through photos and brief text, this book tells the story of a
weekend in the life of a young girl who lives with a gay male
couple-her father and his lover. Ages 6-9.)

Brown, Forman:Generous Jefferson Bartleby Jones (Jefferson
considers himself lucky to have two dads, because one of them is
always free to have fun with him on the weekends. He generously
loans out one dad, then the other-- and suddenly discovers himself
home alone for the first time.)

Elwin, Rosamund and Michele Paulse:Asha's Mums (Asha's two lesbian
mums become an issue for the teacher and the curiosity of
classmates. Asha responds that having two mums is not a big deal.
They are family.)

Herdt, Gilbert (Ed.):Gay and Lesbian Youth (This book describes
the unique experiences of gay and lesbian youth in the growing-up
process. The changes in youth in the United States is compared and
contrasted with those changes elsewhere to better understand the
identities, situation, and relationships of homosexual teens in
many societies. Gay teenagers and their parents will better
understand the similarities of the problems facing young people
today. This book will help all readers understand the unique and
emotion-filled world of gay and bisexual youth going through the
coming-out process.)

Heron, Ann and Meredith Maran:How Would You Feel If Your Dad Was
Gay? (Jasmine, Michael, and Noah are all regular kids except for
one thing: they have gay parents. This book, written by two
lesbian mothers with help from their sons, will be a lifeline for
all young people who have to face the issues and concerns of
having gay parents.)

Ireland, Timothy:Who Lies Inside (This is Martin's story: "...The
stranger seemed to have wriggled under my skin, or had grown
inside me all my eighteen years, only now for some reason that
stranger was not content to stay in the shadows but wanted to step
out into the light and be seen." Winner of the Other Award, 1984.)

Jenness, Aylette:Families: A Celebration of Diversity, Commitment,
and Love (Seventeen children and their parents openly discuss the
challenges and benefits of contemporary family life today.
Includes interviews with children of gay and lesbian parents.)

Johnson-Calvo, Sarita:Beach Party with Alexis (Alexis and her two
moms decide to have a cookout on the beach and invite all of
Alexis' multi-cultural friends.)

Kerr, M.E.:Night Kites (Nicki, a fan of MTV and a Madonna
imitator, seems at first just like other girls until things begin
to unravel on the night of a Bruce Springsteen concert. How people
hide, betray, accept, and love is sensitively explored in this
moving new novel.)

Martin, Kenneth:Aubade (When it was first published in 1957, this
novel created a storm of controversy with its frank revelations
about adolescent homosexual feelings and influenced many major
figures of the time. Written in the first person by a sixteen-year
-old Irish boy, it deals uncompromisingly with the early
homosexaul love affair of a young man. With a new introduction by
the author.

Michals, Duane:Upside Down, Inside Out and Backwards (80 pages of
pictures and stories by artist Duane Michaels. This is a book of
comic surprises and foolish follies, of rhymes and tattle tales
and missing teeth, of secrets and mistakes and let's pretend for
children.)

Newman, Leslea and Annette Hegel:Saturday Is Pattyday (The trials
and tribulations of a little girl as she tries to understand and
come to terms with the end of her two mothers' relationship. A
sensitive portrayal of a child dealing a difficult situation.)

Newman, Leslea:Belinda's Bouquet (Daniel's best friend, Belinda,
is cruelly teased for being fat until one of Daniel's mothers
takes them both into the garden. There, she gently explains that
flowers, like people, take many forms. Each has its own needs, and
its own beauty.)

Newman, Leslea:Heather Has Two Mommies (In story form, we learn of
a new kind of family structure that is really ordinary in its
daily living and caring relationships. Line drawings and simple
language tell of Heather growing to preschool age and beinning to
question why she has two mommies instead of a daddy and a mommy).;
Gloria Goes To Gay Pride (Gay Pride Day is fun for Gloria, and for
her two mothers.) [Both also recommended by Sharon A.]

Nones, Eric Jon:Caleb's Friend (The endearing story of a young boy
who meets a young merman his own age. The two boys have an
intense and close relationship and Caleb learns the price of
saving one's life when the half boy half fish must return to the
sea in order to live. It is a little mermaid tale for boys.)

Salat, Cristina:Living in Secret (When eleven year old Amelia runs
away from her father's home in New York to live with her mother in
California, she must take on a whole new identity. If her father
tracks her down, there is a chance he will have her mother and
mother's girlfriend arrested. This fast-paced, contemporary novel
examines the changing face of today's "traditional" family.)

Sarton, May:Fur Person (This charming story is drawn from the true
adventures of May Sarton's own cat and recounts his evolution from
a Cat-About-Town to a Gentleman Cat and finally his emergence as a
genuine Fur Person.)

Stein, Gertrude:World Is Round (This is Stein's only children's
book, about a little girl named Rose and her search for identity.
This is a charming and witty book, using Stein's usual humor and
imagination, based on a young neighbor in the French farming
community of Bilignin where Stein and Toklas summered. This story
offers a rare view of the real little girl and her friend Miss
Stein.)

Valentine, Johnnyaddy Machine (A fantasy tale of two kids with
lesbian mothers who decide they want daddies and, while their
mothers are out, create a machine to make their own daddies.)

Valentine, Johnnyay They Put a Tax on Rainbows and other stories
(Three brothers use their unique talents to discover hidden
treasure...a girl is washed off her boat during a storm and
discovers a kingdom beneath the sea...and a young boy saves his
village from a future without rainbows.)

Valentine, Johnnyuke Who Outlawed Jelly Beans And Other Stories
(Five original fairytales about being different make up this
enchanting collection of stories with original color drawings by
Lynette Schmidt.) [also recommended by Sharon A.]

Valentine, Johnny:One Dad, Two Dads, Brown Dad, Blue Dads (Two
children, one with blue dads, one from a more traditional
family,compare notes in this light-hearted, easy-to-read book
about parents who are different. They discover that blue dads
aren't really that different from other dads.)

Valentine, Johnny:Two Moms, the Zark, and Me (A young child with
two moms, a playful animal called a Zark, and the narrow-minded
McFinks, all come together in this whimsical story that looks at
just what a family is all about. Colorfully illustrated by Angelo
Lopez.)

Wickens, Elaine:Anna Day and the O-Ring (Evan has dog named Anna
Day, a best friend named Ileana, and two moms. But what's really
on his mind is the missing piece to the tent that he got for his
birthday. It takes some unintentional help from Anna Day to solve
the crisis.)

Willhoite, Michael:Entertainer (Fame and fortune come to Alex, a
talented boy who loves to juggle--until he discovers what's really
important in life. A story told in pictures.)

Wilhoite, Michael:Uncle What-Is-It Is Coming To Visit!! (Igor and
Tiffany learn that their gay uncle is coming to visit. Their
mother is interrupted before she can explain what gay means, so
some older kids tell them what to expect. The two children are
alarmed at what they hear. But the stereotypes are shattered when
Uncle Brett finally appears.)

Willhoite, Michaeladdy's Roommate (In thirty-two pages with
color illustrations we see a young boy, his father, and the
father's roommate in many situations familiar to all kinds of
families.) [also recommended by Sharon A.]

Willhoite, Michael:Families: A Coloring Book (Many kinds of
families, including a diversity of races, generations, and
cultural backgrounds, are depicted in this book , along with
several families including lesbian and gay parents.)

[end of Lambda Rising reviews]

Unknown:Terri and the Ocelot (*Great*, about adopting as well, 4-
7. [Sharon A.])

Scoppettone, Sandra:Trying hard to hear you (early teens, pretty
good, if a bit dated. [Sharon A.])

* Temper Tantrums *
Solter, Aletha:Helping Young Children Flourish [Naomi Fine]
[End of Part Two]