Undercover In High School

Old November 5th 06, 06:07 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Jeff_M

Default Undercover In High School

A former undercover drug detective takes parents and teachers into the
dangerous world of teenage drug use. A must read blog for every parent
and teacher. The blog is free and is supported by readers visiting all
the life saving and informative links on the blog.

http://parentsbattleplan.blogspot.com/

Old November 6th 06, 01:19 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Tiffany

"'Kate" wrote in message
On 4 Nov 2006 21:07:28 -0800, "Jeff_M" the
following was posted in blue dry erase marker:

A former undercover drug detective takes parents and teachers into the
dangerous world of teenage drug use. A must read blog for every parent
and teacher. The blog is free and is supported by readers visiting all
the life saving and informative links on the blog.

http://parentsbattleplan.blogspot.com/

That was an excellent morning read. I learned a lot about the street
names and amounts, symptoms, and behaviors of teens who have begun to
use. I'm interning at an alternative school for pre- and teens. Most of
the students have been sent for drug or anger management problems. I
printed several chapters as a guide for questions that I can ask teens
and their parents. I'll pass that URL along to the parents and share it
with the other counselors.

Thanks for posting.

'Kate

Pretty good stuff. I agree Kate. But I did get a chuckle off the comment
that one problem faced when smoking pot is the munchies. Hmmm.... what a
suckie problem.

I will also pass this to other parents. Many parents I know are in denial
big time.

Old November 6th 06, 03:56 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

On Nov 6, 7:33*am, 'Kate wrote:
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:19:19 GMT, "Tiffany" the
following was posted in blue dry erase marker:

Pretty good stuff. I agree Kate. But I did get a chuckle off the comment
that one problem faced when smoking pot is the munchies. Hmmm.... what a
suckie problem.

heh...... my daughter and her friend decided to spend the night at our
house after a night out with other friends, they were 16. So M goes out
to the kitchen about 12 midnight and there sits my daughter and her
friend with all kinds of food out and stuffing thier faces, M says to
them are ya's stoned? and they replied "NO the fridge is broke and we
have to eat all the food before it goes bad! hysterical laughter " M
comes to me and says the refrigerator is broke and S and A are eating
all the food before it rots ! I said "they're stoned." I talked to them
in the a.m. talking to stoned teens would not have been productive.

I will also pass this to other parents. Many parents I know are in denial
big time.

TIf

you wanna know what's going on with your kid, you should hear what
their friends say about them to their parents or what your child tells
other kids' parents.

What do you all think about thoroughly inspecting your teen's room?

'K

Please allow my 2 cents on this one !

Total violation of thier privacy but.............

My kids were told when they got older IF:

1) it's out in plain view they must have wanted me to see it.
2) if while searching for a). the dishes that mysteriously are missing
and b).the fowl odor that is wafting out of thier room I find it.
3). thier behavior is c).secretive d).falling grades or e). failure to
obey house rules, I will investigate thier rooms for clues as to why
this is happening.

So basically I gave 'em the chance to maintain some privacy for the
most part.

Both my children managed to violate 1,2 and 3 as well as a,b,c,d,and e
!!!!!!!! so OH WELL!

Both my kids told me what they did after they did it. I was not sharp
with the first one , she told me when she was 23 what she did when she
was a teen that I didn't know. She even got busted when she was 16 shop
lifting and had her fathers mother bail her out and NO ONE told ME! The
second really did not even bother to try and hide what she was doing, a
benefit of her mental health I believe, which made it real easy to know
and deal with.

I am now aware my oldest smokes weed and drinks occasionally, she will
be 25 in a month. She is also graduating from the art institute next
month. You know those artist types . I have resigned myself to know
she is old enough to make her own decisions and I respect that . I dont
like it but it is not my life it is hers. That is what I told her. I'm
not one to smoke because it makes me paranoid, there is nothing I hate
more than paranoia! We wont discuss what alcohol does to me ! It is
much safer for me to just be sober......g

The youngest just cant use any mood altering substance, period. She
has/will have children to be responsible for and her mental health
condition worsens with substance use. This I have to keep a close eye
on even though she is 19 years old, because she is an addictive
personality.She is a self medicator. I will keep a close eye on it even
when she moves out from my home. I have grand babies to protect. So be
it....two different people two different opinions. They both know where
I stand on the subject for each of them. I maintain a good example for
them.

There are a lot of people out there that think alcohol is not as bad as
all the other substances hell society says it is legal!but I feel it is
worse than some illegal substances......it is more dangerous and should
be illegal!

o.k. I'm done now.....smirk

Ya'all have a nice day...crawling to my coffee pot

Old November 6th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Tiffany

"'Kate" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:19:19 GMT, "Tiffany" the
following was posted in blue dry erase marker:

Pretty good stuff. I agree Kate. But I did get a chuckle off the comment
that one problem faced when smoking pot is the munchies. Hmmm.... what a
suckie problem.

I will also pass this to other parents. Many parents I know are in denial
big time.

If you wanna know what's going on with your kid, you should hear what
their friends say about them to their parents or what your child tells
other kids' parents.

What do you all think about thoroughly inspecting your teen's room?

'K

Oh I know. What kiddo has told me of her friends lives, sort of scary. I
always tell her, and see,..... you actually have the GOOD mom!

I inspect when I need to. If I feel like it, I will. I will not however, at
this point, read any journal entries. I promised her so that she could use
it as a coping tool for dealing with her father's death.

Wrong or not, I will check her book bag and under the bed. If I find
anything, chances are I will sit on it till I can bust her in a way that she
won't know I was snooping. I also snoop on her MySpace, but she knows that.
It was the condition of her having it. God help some of these kids and what
the post online.

What about you Kate?

Old November 6th 06, 10:39 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Tiffany

"Bev" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Nov 6, 7:33am, 'Kate wrote:
[...]

You are right, at 25 she can make her own disicions. Personally I don't feel
at that age its a problem. I am not an anti-pot person actaully. What
worries me is young kids taking mind altering substances when they are still
so confused and immature. This is what I have told my daughter. As she gets
older, I am sure it will then be her choice and as long as she is living
right and being responsible, so be it. And I know that pot is always
condemned the gate-way drug and for many it probably is. But not everyone
becomes a junkie after smoking pot.

My rant is over. Continue drinking coffee.

LOL

Old November 7th 06, 12:05 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

Tiffany wrote:
Snippity bippity boo !

You are right, at 25 she can make her own disicions. Personally I don't feel
at that age its a problem. I am not an anti-pot person actaully. What
worries me is young kids taking mind altering substances when they are still
so confused and immature. This is what I have told my daughter. As she gets
older, I am sure it will then be her choice and as long as she is living
right and being responsible, so be it. And I know that pot is always
condemned the gate-way drug and for many it probably is. But not everyone
becomes a junkie after smoking pot.

My rant is over. Continue drinking coffee.

LOL

"I swear I never inhaled !!!!" looking innocent

Seriously though, I agree that I too am not anti pot . I do not smoke
it at this time in my life it does not do anything to make me want to.
I have the belief that in some situations pot can and should be legal
to use medicinally.

Young minds that are still developing should not be contaminated with
any non medical substance. In my opinion there is a fine line in using
even prescription drugs with children.

I try not to worry so much with my oldest because she truly has a good
head on her shoulders, she knows she can come to me with anything. I've
been lucky , she is responsible and I trust her to be. I so can not
wait to see her walk! I'll be flyin out to San Jose on Dec 13 th and
return home on the 27th, I even get to spend a night with my Mom and
Sis before I fly home!

o.k back on subject g......

I know I tried alcohol before I tried pot at 14 years old, I continued
both through to my 20's tried some other things like amphetamines,
coke, meth, and mescaline all had to do with the people I called my
friends, thank the powers that be that I never got hooked on any of
that stuff ,or busted or dead, I stopped using everything but alcohol
at 26 years of age on my own no rehab necessary. I was a bad mother in
my opinion of what I did during my oldests first five years. I was
young, I made mistakes ,I'm also honest enough and not too proud to
admit it. You know what was the worse problem over the years ALCOHOL!
So there ya have it.I feel the gateway to my drug use as a teen and
young adult was alcohol. Drugs are bad, don't get me wrong I have
watched my sister's addictions to crack and heroin that are killing
her, why she is still alive I do not know.....

I hear about more deaths of our teens, at least here in this State,
caused by alcohol. I have never heard of someone dying from over
intoxication of pot.......Also the driving accidents that are killing
our kids are alcohol related.

Pot = illegal = munchies....good treatment for "wasting syndrome"
Alcohol = legal = death

hello !

Oh and if I lost brain cells in all of that I'm not noticing them
missing lol! Matter of fact I'm pretty telligent ! ;-)

Old November 7th 06, 12:44 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Moon Shyne

"'Kate" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:19:19 GMT, "Tiffany" the
following was posted in blue dry erase marker:

Pretty good stuff. I agree Kate. But I did get a chuckle off the comment
that one problem faced when smoking pot is the munchies. Hmmm.... what a
suckie problem.

I will also pass this to other parents. Many parents I know are in denial
big time.

If you wanna know what's going on with your kid, you should hear what
their friends say about them to their parents or what your child tells
other kids' parents.

What do you all think about thoroughly inspecting your teen's room?

My kids know, bottom line, they have no rights. They live in my home, on my
nickel, while the rest of the nickels pay for everything around here.

Yes, if it's in plain view, it was there to be seen. Yes, I have the right
to go into their rooms at will. Yes, I have the right to their usernames
and passwords for email (and if they don't work, I will force them to
cancel).

They're kids. I'm the adult. If they break the law, the law will find me,
as their parent, responsible.

And ya know what? It works, at least here. The worst trouble my oldest got
into was to be on the receiving end of a punch to the face (for which the
puncher was found guilty) - the worst trouble my younger has gotten into was
detention for being late to class.

They talk to me - sure, probably not about everything everything, but
certainly about the important stuff (opposite sex, drugs, all that stuff),
when and if I catch them lying, it's about the little stuff (like being home
by curfew versus 20 minutes late)...

And in return for following the rules of the house, respecting me as the
keeper of the goodies, and staying in school and out of trouble, they are
allowed their privacy.

It works for us.

'K

Old November 7th 06, 01:53 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Tiffany

"'Kate" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 21:39:48 GMT, "Tiffany" the
following was posted in blue dry erase marker:

And I know that pot is always
condemned the gate-way drug and for many it probably is. But not everyone
becomes a junkie after smoking pot.

Tobacco is now the new "gateway" drug.

I don't know if that's because the powers that be have decided that it
is a "drug" so now they study it differently.

'K

So then it should be illegal?? lol

It should atleast demand that smokers pay a higher price for their drug of
choice.

Old November 7th 06, 01:57 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Tiffany

"'Kate" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 21:34:58 GMT, "Tiffany" the
following was posted in blue dry erase marker:

"'Kate" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I totally admit to snooping. I won't tell what I know until I have good
reason but I don't want them sneaking around either. I know that my
oldest has smoked pot. I know my son has tried pot, alcohol, and
cigarettes. I found them all relatively quickly. Somehow, doing what
your mom knows you do isn't as much fun as being sneaky. My youngest, so
far, just alcohol and for a very short period of time (couple of weeks
the summer before high school started). I tell my kids that I will drug
test if I suspect they're high. They believe me. They'd better.

I absolutely have gone through their rooms. I would do it again if I had
reason to. I don't necessarily think it's right... I just think it's
safer than letting them continue on the wrong path.

The problem with checking myspace is that they can have several pages...
one for mom, one for the friends. I've seen some pretty nasty MySpace
pages... it comes up a lot in the school. Evidently, girls can continue
the nasty school bullying online from home.

'K

Yeah, all this online crap is making it so they have no break from the
school drama. It goes on and on. But they feed into it, partake in it. Its
as easy as not going online.

I will on occasion look through the friends friends list...... always
checking for that hidden myspace. lol Kids.... they keep you on your toes.
Some days I just want to say screw it.... do what you want! But that doesn't
last more then an hour.

Old November 7th 06, 03:17 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

'Kate wrote:
On 6 Nov 2006 15:05:48 -0800, "Bev" the
following was posted in blue dry erase marker:

Tiffany wrote:
Snippity bippity boo !

[...]

Yeah! and Yeah!

[...]

Yeah, but you never know what lung cancer rates will look like in 20-30
years. That 8hit ain't filtered (bongs excepted).

Yeah, but there are more and more cases of lung cancer surfacing in
people that never smoked so much as a ham ! smirk
Speaking of bongs, I think I was the plant that night ...yowzaaa!

Pot does lower inhibitions.

Oh yes and how embarassing that can be !

People who are high act stupid.

at least they have a good reason for it....what about the stupid people
that arent high? g

Some stare at plants.

or as I said up there ^ ......are the plants! roflol!

Others have "pipe dreams". Paranoia. Munchies. and when they
try to quit, if they've been smoking often, they will get insomnia and
can become aggressive/angry.

seriously ......yes I know there are the down falls of being a stoner

Also the driving accidents that are killing
our kids are alcohol related.

It's DUI... doesn't mean alcohol.. anything that alters
reality/perception is worthy of a DUI.

Oh I know this ! What I see tho is that the front page stories of our
teens dying in car wrecks, it is found that 99.9 percent of the time
Alcohol is most definately involved in both driver and occupants levels
being well over the legal limit for legal users of alcohol. So here we
have our children consuming this stuff and getting in cars! Where as
other substances are not mentioned as a contributor to the accident. I
dont think there are as many stoners getting killed in car wrecks as
there are alcohol consumers.......

Pot = illegal = munchies....good treatment for "wasting syndrome"
Alcohol = legal = death

hello !

Oh and if I lost brain cells in all of that I'm not noticing them
missing lol! Matter of fact I'm pretty telligent ! ;-)

yes, you are!

Confucius say ......maybe it was the pot! ....... J/K of course :-)

Bev
'K